Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
35,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm down to two companies....Micron and Dell...

The two systems I'm looking at are the Micron Millinia 940i and the Dell XPS Gen 5.

Two of their top of the lines.....because I don't want to even contemplate upgrading for at least five years and I want to be able to add whatevever I want. I still have to call ask them some specifics about the motherboards but that's minor stuff.

The plus of the XPS is that I'm able to get more add-ons like software, free printer and shipping.

The plus of the Millinia 940i is that the warrenty is for a year longer (5 instead of 4)...I'm not sure what's covered for 5 years on my old system everything was covered for 3 and the RAM and Processor was covered for 5..

Really the Dell gives me more for my money.....but I know the Micron's Tech support is very good.....they both have support in America (so that's a plus for both of them)....Also, I hate the way the XPS looks it's sooo cheesy looking my coworker has one....bleh it looks like a kids toy.

I get a discount for both systems as I'm a gov worker....so I get an addition 12% off over and above the 34% discount Dell is running right now....and the Micron is about $900 less than if I didn't get the discount.

So what does everyone think or do any of you have a suggestion? I won't to make it official tomorrow. :D

·
35,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE INFORMATION
Quote Number: WEB-304971-1001
Quote Name: Millennia 940i
Quote Price: $2,073.00
Creation Date: 8/10/2005
Expiration Date: 9/9/2005 (30 days)

CONFIGURATION INFORMATION

Configuration - Millennia 940i (B) Professional S

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Quantity: 1 Unit Price: $2,073.00 Sub Total: $2,073.00
Contract: Micron Comm'l Offering - State & Local

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Professional SP2
Intel Pentium 4 Processor 541 with HT Technology (3.20GHz, 1MB
L2
cache, 800MHz FSB)
Free Upgrade to Ballistix 512MB Dual Channel DDR2 533 SDRAM
2-DIMMs
Free Upgrade to 120GB Serial ATA-150 8MB Cache Hard Drive
(7200RPM)
Customer has Selected no 2nd Hard Drive
Integrated Serial ATA Controller
52x32x52x CDRW w/Nero Express (B)
16x Dual Layer DVD-R/RW, +R/RW Combo Drive w/Pinnacle Studio
Plus,
WinDVD5, Nero Express
1.44MB 3.5" Floppy
256MB nVidia GeForce 6600 PCI Express Graphics Card (VGA DVI-I
TV-Out)
IEEE1394a FireWire Card with Front and Rear Connectors
Customer Selects No Monitor
Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit
Creative Inspire 2500 (2.1) Speaker System
Customer selects Premium Speakers
56K Data/Fax PCI V92 Controller Modem
Integrated Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000) Network Connection
Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard Black
MPC Optical Wheel Mouse
No Mouse Pad Selected
Millennia 940i Mid-tower (B)
550 Watt Power Supply with Active PFC
Microsoft Office XP Small Business
No Norton AntiVirus Option
No Misc Software Ordered
Customer Selects No Backup Storage Drive
Belkin 9-Outlet SurgeMaster
Customer Selects No Power Protection
DT 1ST-5TH YR Parts, Tech Support & On-Site (MPC)
Customer Selects No Bulk Pack
$100 SPECIAL OFFER SAVINGS
Advanced Client System Bios (CP565,MIL940I)

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
You probably will want more than 512MB RAM but you can add that on yourself afterwards.

We're in the middle of a CPU revolution at the moment with 64-bit processing so you might want to wait a bit for the Intel product or have a look at the AMD 64-bit ones. There are software and anti-virus benefits and if you don't want to get left behind it might be worth it.

·
35,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hautbois said:
You probably will want more than 512MB RAM but you can add that on yourself afterwards.

We're in the middle of a CPU revolution at the moment with 64-bit processing so you might want to wait a bit for the Intel product or have a look at the AMD 64-bit ones. There are software and anti-virus benefits and if you don't want to get left behind it might be worth it.
hmmm, that's not the Pentium D is it?

·
35,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hautbois said:
The Dell one has bundled software but it looks like a better overall deal.

Yes Pentium D
yeah and i usually hate a bunch of bundled software but this configuration lets you deselect alot of the promos.....

About the Pentium D, I'm kind of skeptical about new cutting edge technology because like with the new SDRAM that I got with my old system. They stopped making that kind of SDRAM and I ended up not being able to upgrade to maximum memory because I couldn't get it and it was the only kind that could go in slot one. :(

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
And Dell is infamous for having conveyor belts where workers have like 2 seconds to put in and screw in components

·
35,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hautbois said:
SDRAM is very very old technology though.
Yeah but it was the type of SDRAM that was new at the time....PC100/133 SDRAM is fine but my motherboard also took VC SDRAM which they don't make anymore nor could I even find a used one. :fiery:

·
35,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hautbois said:
And Dell is infamous for having conveyor belts where workers have like 2 seconds to put in and screw in components
I don't doubt that but I wouldn't doubt that's probably true for all the major computer manufactuers. ;)

·
35,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Martian Willow said:
Don't buy a Dell. They suck. And I don't see the point of having an 800fsb processor with 533mhz RAM. That's silliness.
exactly why?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,694 Posts
They do silly things like soldering the processor on to the mobo, so you can't upgrade anything. I think they just make computers for offices and call centres, where you have like 30 computers in a room networked together.

Ignore the bit about the RAM. It was brainfreeze.

·
35,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Martian Willow said:
They do silly things like soldering the processor on to the mobo, so you can't upgrade anything. I think they just make computers for offices and call centres, where you have like 30 computers in a room networked together.

Ignore the bit about the RAM. It was brainfreeze.
hmm, I'll look at my co-workers motherboard to see if the processor is permanant....although I can't possible see me needing to upgrade the processor anytime soon? :scratch:

1 - 20 of 84 Posts