Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

· Registered
16,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight against Safina Justine used plenty of dazzling power shots but PEPPERED every single game with wicked short angles, slices, touch volleys, drop shots, sliding serves and lobs. And she used these finesse shots not just occasionally but very frequently + she used some really nice power too. That kind of effortless looking Roger Federer-power that doesn't even look like muscle power. it is so smooth and explosive

DAMN JUSTINE is the BOMB!!!!!! Brian Early, the tournament director, had a lot of praise for Justine stepping up and saying let's wait it out and play. :D

To those who hate her I feel sorry for you. You need to learn to love this girl with the shy smile and heart of a champion with the golden touch (it all goes back to that right hand of hers, even for haters LOL! )

:bounce: :bounce:

btw, SAFINA is cute. :D

· Registered
4,543 Posts
I think Justine is awesome. I also think the people who call Justine a power player mean that in the past year she has gained much more power...especially on her forehand. I don't think they would put her in the power levels of Serena. But that still doesn't take away her stunning abilities at net and her finesse shots. She just gets better all the time. I can't wait until next January when she comes back from the off season to see what else she has improved:) BTW...did you hear what Tracy Austin said about Justine thinking that she has not reached the physical level she wants to be at yet? Thats a scary thought! Go JuJu!

· Registered
3,472 Posts
Justine plays a power game. Big Serve, hard groundies is where she starts and everything else works off of that. Yes she has all the shots but she is a far cry from Hingis and her 70 mph serves plus 12 shot rallys. Justine ends the points quickly. :cool:

· Registered
2,949 Posts
treufreund said:
Tonight against Safina Justine used plenty of dazzling power shots but PEPPERED every single game with wicked short angles, slices, touch volleys, drop shots, sliding serves and lobs. And she used these finesse shots not just occasionally but very frequently + she used some really nice power too. That kind of effortless looking Roger Federer-power that doesn't even look like muscle power. it is so smooth and explosive

DAMN JUSTINE is the BOMB!!!!!! Brian Early, the tournament director, had a lot of praise for Justine stepping up and saying let's wait it out and play. :D

To those who hate her I feel sorry for you. You need to learn to love this girl with the shy smile and heart of a champion with the golden touch (it all goes back to that right hand of hers, even for haters LOL! )

:bounce: :bounce:

btw, SAFINA is cute. :D
Love your post!

· Registered
16,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TSequoia01 said:
Justine plays a power game. Big Serve, hard groundies is where she starts and everything else works off of that. Yes she has all the shots but she is a far cry from Hingis and her 70 mph serves plus 12 shot rallys. Justine ends the points quickly. :cool:

Finesse players/serve and volley player like henman (who sure as hell ain't no power player!) end the point VERY QUICKLY!

so your idea of a "non power player" is the one who hits 12 shot rallies??? Hingis could "crack open a point" instantly as one of the few players who knew who to serve and volley or change direction of the ball. Power players like Capriati usually trade several power shots only slightly adjusting the angles per shot. hingis or henin-hardenne don't hesitate to change direction of the ball or create wicked angles from the middle of the court. pure power play is what Nadia Petrova is getting "spanked" by davey in the first set. And no Serena does not use "pure power play" either cuz that does not cut it. (but she relies on it to a great extent)

Hitting the ball hard often during a match does not mean you are a "power player". for me it is when you rely on it for like 90% of your pts. Justine was using power and finesse/feel (perhaps feel is a better term to describe angles and change of direction and placement) For example last night Blake was blasting the ball all over the court and had Roger Federer running wide to retrieve a powerful flat forehand from Blake who anticipate a crosscourt power reply but what did Roger do he hit with POWER and FEEL up the line right in the corner with wicked topspin thus securing match point. That is not just power.

· Registered
7,880 Posts
TSequoia01 said:
actually, Martina's serve was often over 100 mph earlier in her career...it only got that bad near the end. And in terms of rallies, at her peak, watching Martina in a rally was anything but monotonous. She could shift rhythms in an instant and at the time nobody could keep up with her and believe it or not she has hit her fair share of winners and has served and volleyed. :eek:

· Registered
16,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
some of the people on here only remember the tentative Martina Hingis who even at her very worst could still win a lot matches. They don't know the one who could jerk you around like a puppet and end the point anyway she wanted.

· Registered
14,307 Posts
Justine is not what I would consider ala Martina Hingis or Amanda Coetzer kind of player at all.

Martina and Amanda to name just two used alot of variety and didn't posess much power at all.

Now Justine Henin plays with power. She has tons of variety but you got to be a damn fool if you think she doesn't play with power? This is 2003 ALL the top 10 players use power. They have too or they would not be in the top ten.

P.S. When Justine beat Kim in that final when Justine had that blister she was hitting the shit out of the ball. She didn't hit as hard as Lindsay or [email protected] but she had power. And she was using it.

· Banned
1,856 Posts
treufreund said:
Dinara definitely did not play her best. No doubt about it. But often once justine was playing aggressively Dinara COULD NOT play better.

You are in "denial" about what kind of game Justine played tonight. She only played to the strengths (or lack there of) of her opponent, and did not play a "finesse game". Her shot selection was appropriate for the shots of her opponent. Justine, is still as much a power player as the other power playerr. You wouldn't know finesse if it came up and smacked your silly ass in the face... Just admit it, you're not the tennis expert you want us to believe you are. Dinara is still and unproven challengerl. Just wait and come back to this thread after Justine meets Capriati...!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

· Registered
19,459 Posts
PatM04 said:
BTW...did you hear what Tracy Austin said about Justine thinking that she has not reached the physical level she wants to be at yet? Thats a scary thought! Go JuJu!
She definitely needs to be alot stronger because she still can't compete with the WS on fast surfaces.

· Registered
2,949 Posts
Ofcourse she plays with an awful lot of power, but I think treufreund means it's not "just" power, that she adds finesse, variaty, game strategy, etc...

Reactions: *JR*

· Registered
14,307 Posts
I must confess though I want the Belgians to lose but if one had to win I want it to be Justine.

In short: She is the better player and I find Kim overrated and boring. At least Justine has the more exciting game and backs it up and it seems that Belgium always praised Kim over Justine when it was always Juju who had the better game.

Kim is a fake #1 and was handed easy draws all year. I want Justine to prevail more that I do Kim cause frankly she's the better player and she played better matches all year long whereas Kim was getting easy draws to help her rise up in rank.

Reactions: Lady

· Registered
14,307 Posts
Fingon Daniela has power, but she chooses to lose it before she can play it. When she was fitter, fuller and stronger she had power but now it is all gone in the toilet.

kat, I really have no idea what Treu is getting at?? Justine plays with power for sure,she aint no ASV and yet of course she has variety and natural finesse. What is the exact point here?

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.