Tennis Forum banner

Heather's Cheering Thread

255K views 3K replies 195 participants last post by  guichard 
#1 ·
After winning her second round match at the junior aussie open i think its about time heather deserves her own thread. She won her first grade 1 title in 2008 at Yucatan, Mexico and reached the final of the prestigous eddie herr junior tournament.:) Good luck against Miyabi Inoue heather :D:D

#3 ·
Re: Heather Watson

Yeh Im glad she has her own thread. She is a great player no doubt. I dont get why her and Laura didnt do doubles together but w/e :lol: Its equally annoying that they are out on the very outer courts all the time - I wanna see her and Laura play as I havent seen much of Heathers game.

#9 ·

Yeh Im glad she has her own thread. She is a great player no doubt. I dont get why her and Laura didnt do doubles together but w/e :lol: Its equally annoying that they are out on the very outer courts all the time - I wanna see her and Laura play as I havent seen much of Heathers game.
i saw her play at eastbourne last year. she had a nice forehand but it was hard to say how she played because it was so windy and they were basically rolling in the serves (she played coco vandeweghe who has a great serve yet her serve looked slower then heathers)

#7 ·

Well Heather won, 7-6 (7-1), 4-6, 6-4, so big congratulations to her for really griding out a tough won in what must have been horrendous conditions (it reached 44 degrees, so it was probably over 50 actually on the court).

It will be tough for Heather in the next round as she is bound to be feeling the effects of this match and she is up against a top seed.

#8 ·

Well played Heather, great battling win.

Gonna be really tough against Pervak but whatever happens its been an excellent run.

(Hopefully it won't be too embarrassing for some of the earlier posters on the board.) ;)

#11 ·

According to her Dad, Heather's first senior tournament will be at Clearwater in Florida in March, (see 4 mins into the interview on the following link).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7857978.stm

Looking at the ITF website, the only tournament taking place in Clearwater, Florida is a $50,000 event that starts in February. It that's the one it's quite a big tournament to start your senior career at.

http://www.itftennis.com/womens/tournaments/tournamentoverview.asp?tournament=1100019089

#14 ·

According to her Dad, Heather's first senior tournament will be at Clearwater in Florida in March, (see 4 mins into the interview on the following link).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7857978.stm
I'm guessing she will recieve a WC / QWC being a Bolitary girl, as its unlikely that an unranked player would gain direct acceptance in a $50k. Nice interview, its good to hear that she thrives on the big stage and doesn't get (too) nervous

#17 ·

Well she's now 166th in line :rocker2: :lol: 53 players pulling out in 4 days, lets be hopeful :lol:

Shes also down to play $25k Fort walton beach the week after, but its a similar situation. She's currently 180th alternate.

Lets hope she has some sort of wild card agreement sorted out ;)

#20 ·

Yeah shes not in the qualifying draw, but only 3 wildcards have been dished out for the MD as of yet, 1 more to go. But yeah it's highly doubtful she'll get one!

I think she needs to be a bit more realistic in her scheduling. Maybe start off in some weak $10k's or ask for wildcards in British $25k's

#21 ·

I think she needs to be a bit more realistic in her scheduling. Maybe start off in some weak $10k's or ask for wildcards in British $25k's
Yes i read an article (think it was in the local Guernsey newspaper) that her parents/team were surprised at the number of entrants. They thought she would get into qualies. But thats a bit odd as its incredibly unlikely you'll get into $50K qualies with no ranking...

$10K or possibly a weak/British $25K would be a better bet. It did also say it now looks like her pro debut will be in Jersey (which is a $25K i think...)

#28 ·

with any luck she might even get md wildcard seein as shes so talented and made aussie open QFs or is that a bit unrealistic lol :)

#29 · (Edited)

10ks are so dull, I liked how Laura aimed high :lol: A 25k is exciting though. I hope she can get a QWC at Wimb, though I expect there are a lot more people who deserve it more.