1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Head In Hands, Serena's Mind Set On Return To Top

Photo By Ron Angle By Adrianna Outlaw
07/21/2004

Success has gone to Serena Williams' head. Meeting with the media at the JPMorgan Chase Open in Carson, California yesterday, the constantly-changing champion whose been a dominant player, dress designer and aspiring actress unveiled her latest incarnation — the Serena Williams bobblehead doll.
"It's amazing," said Williams, the first woman tennis player to be immortalized with the big-headed figurine. "But I guess that happens when you become overly famous. Every week now, I get more famous."

Glancing at the bounce of her bobbleheaded alter ego, Williams spoke like a woman who has made up her mind to reclaim the top spot she held from July 8th, 2002 to August 10th, 2003 — a span of sustained dominance that saw her win five of the six majors she entered.

"When I was dominant, I was playing every week," Williams said. "I'm going to get back there. If I keep working hard, I'll be back where I belong."

Reiterating remarks she made in a conference call last week, the former No. 1 insists she's put her 6-1, 6-4 loss to Maria Sharapova in the Wimbledon final behind her and looks forward to a busy summer hard-court schedule that starts on Wednesday at the JPMorgan Chase Open where she meets either Eleni Daniilidou or Teryn Ashley in the second round.

Sidelined for eight months after undergoing surgery to repair a partial tear in the mid-portion of her quadriceps tendon of her left knee on August 2nd, Williams sat out the entire 2003 hard-court summer season and can pick up points and rapidly rise up the rankings from her current spot of No. 16 if she can stay healthy, active and play to her ability. Following this week's tournament in Carson, Williams is scheduled to play the Acura Classic in San Diego next week, the Rogers AT&T Cup the first week of August; the Athens Olympic Games, August 15th-22nd and the U.S. Open, which begins August 30th.

It is an ambitious schedule that would be Williams' most sustained stretch of tennis in recent years — should she compete in each event — and provide her with the match play necessary if she is to reclaim her U.S. Open crown in September. Older sister Venus Williams, who reached the Stanford final on Sunday falling to Lindsay Davenport, could collide with Serena in some of these tournaments.

"It's just a coincidence (that we've entered some of the same events) and not only that we love to play the events," said Williams. "You know, we need to be there: I need points, she needs points and hopefully we can get our rankings back to where they once were, which is number one and number two . So in order to do that you have to play some tournaments. You know, I wasn't able to play until March so I really had to pick up some tournaments because the Tour made me play some extra ones."

·
Banned
37 Posts
"It's amazing," said Williams, the first woman tennis player to be immortalized with the big-headed figurine. "But I guess that happens when you become overly famous. Every week now, I get more famous."
In which world ? :rolleyes: With just one GS under her belt Maria is just as famous as Serena has gotten in 5-7 years

"When I was dominant, I was playing every week," Williams said. "I'm going to get back there. If I keep working hard, I'll be back where I belong."
every week ? :eek: :rolleyes:

"It's just a coincidence (that we've entered some of the same events) and not only that we love to play the events," said Williams. "You know, we need to be there: I need points, she needs points and hopefully we can get our rankings back to where they once were, which is number one and number two . So in order to do that you have to play some tournaments. You know, I wasn't able to play until March so I really had to pick up some tournaments because the Tour made me play some extra ones."
Thank god she said "hopefully" there

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts
Any word on whether or not the sisters are playing doubles in San Diego next week, Dallas? With the Olympics and the Open coming up, I would like to think that they would get some on-court prep time beforehand. ;)

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
darrinbaker00 said:
Any word on whether or not the sisters are playing doubles in San Diego next week, Dallas? With the Olympics and the Open coming up, I would like to think that they would get some on-court prep time beforehand. ;)
Not sure. I'll email and ask :D I did wonder if the sisters were going to practice dubs before Athens...not like they need it though :lol:

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts
tennisIlove09 said:
Not sure. I'll email and ask :D I did wonder if the sisters were going to practice dubs before Athens...not like they need it though :lol:
They don't even play doubles frequently enough to be considered part-timers, yet they have six majors and Olympic gold on their resume. A-mazing. :bounce:

They could also use the doubles draw for their practice time. They're going to spend that time on the court anyway, so why not get paid for it? ;)

·
Registered
47,518 Posts
in which world ? With just one GS under her belt Maria is just as famous as Serena has gotten in 5-7 years
:haha: :rolls: you think so?!

·
Banned
3,087 Posts
idunno said:
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In which world ? :rolleyes: With just one GS under her belt Maria is just as famous as Serena has gotten in 5-7 years
:lol: :haha: I guess that's why udunno. :lol:

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
idunno said:
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In which world ? :rolleyes: With just one GS under her belt Maria is just as famous as Serena has gotten in 5-7 years

every week ? :eek: :rolleyes:

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].Thank god she said "hopefully" there
Serena became internationally famous when she won the USO in 1999. If I am nnot mistaken, Maria was still at Bolletteri, 12 years old and no one knew who the hell she was.:rolleyes:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,694 Posts
lizchris said:
Serena became internationally famous when she won the USO in 1999. If I am nnot mistaken, Maria was still at Bolletteri, 12 years old and no one knew who the hell she was.:rolleyes:
...does this post make any sense to anyone...?...anyone...? :scratch:

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
""It's amazing," said Williams, the first woman tennis player to be immortalized with the big-headed figurine. "But I guess that happens when you become overly famous. Every week now, I get more famous."

:eek:

:haha:

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Willow said:
...does this post make any sense to anyone...?...anyone...? :scratch:
What Willow, are you trying to live in the *present* or something? Dust off your time machine and live a little...

:wavey:

·
Banned
3,087 Posts
faste5683 said:
""It's amazing," said Williams, the first woman tennis player to be immortalized with the big-headed figurine. "But I guess that happens when you become overly famous. Every week now, I get more famous."

Well, yeah I guess so Ed. I mean, what other tennis player ever had a bobblehead doll? Also, what other tennis player or athlete for that matter gets serenaded at the ESPY awards in front of every champion in the world? That happened last week. Seems it's a true statement to me. Clue me in on the joke. :shrug:

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts
faste5683 said:

I love Serena to death, but after statements like that, the figurine's head appears to be in proportion..... ;)

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
darrinbaker00 said:
I love Serena to death, but after statements like that, the figurine's head appears to be in proportion..... ;)

just when I think I couldn't laugh any harder...

:kiss:

(Hi guy!)

·
Banned
3,087 Posts
darrinbaker00 said:
To me the only thing worse than boasting is false modesty. If you don't toot your own horn every now and then, who's going to do it for you?

Give her a break, she just lost her championship. She's got to do say something to make it look like it hasn't fazed her.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,694 Posts
faste5683 said:
What Willow, are you trying to live in the *present* or something? Dust off your time machine and live a little...

:wavey:
...no, I was just trying to make sense of an apparently senseless post...what is the relevance of comparing the relative 'fame' of a GS winner with a 12 year old...?...did you get it...? :awww:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts