Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serena Williams def. Rita Kuti-Kis 6-1 6-0

I was cheering every time Rita landed a groundstroke beyond the service line. Totally and absolutely wiped off the court by sheer power .... but i still think Rita could have played more assertive tennis. Rita hits these semi-loopy shots that land quite short and sit in mid-air.... no-chance playing Serena like that on any surface.
Serena was having a field-day.... slamming everything within her range..... but what made it frustrating was that Rita seemed to have conceeded defeat within the first few points of the match! She moved very slowly and hit with no authority at all on her lefty groundies! .... playing Serena may be an exception though ;)

Dokic def Gersi 6-0 6-0

Poor Adriana ... not even really overpowered.... just outsmarted. Every time Gersi would find any hint of rythem in her game - Dokic would hit a smart little dropshot. And Adriana who looks increadibly fit fast and nimble .... moves surprisingly slow!
Dokic hit smart little angles from the back of the court...Adriana would just nod her head as to say "what the hell can i do!?"
Adriana would often hit flat hard grounies ..... but without any direction - so often the ball fell right into Jelena's range - so Dokic just placed the ball into the corner - and dominated 99% of the play! :sad:

Maybe i am just digging up bad memories - but these thrashings stick in my head!
These thrashings looked rather painfull! Have you seen any memorable thrashings? :eek:

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
french 91 when Steffi lost 6:0 6:2, steffi was totally distracted:(

·
Premium Member
16,400 Posts
Wimbledon 2001: Justine bt Conchita 6-1 6-0 :sad:

Conchita won the 1st game and then lost 12 consecutive games :sad:

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
Vixen thanks for acklowledging Jelena's ability , thats some of the most credit ive heard for her b4 ;)...

I think Jelena's 6-2 6-0 over Hingis would've hurt...cos Marti just wasn't there, and shes usually such a great competitor. Also the fatc Jelena ripped up every ball to shreads , played not just power but outsmarted Hingis at her own game(drop shots , volleys ,etc) and in rd1 too being ranked 129 over the world no.,1
:eek:

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well .... even if i strongly disliked Jelena (which i don't ;)) you just coudln't say much..... she has this deceptive little double-handed dropshot.... she makes it out as if she's gonna swing then .... she taps it! the opponent just stands there as if "what the hell just happened?!" i think Jelena has developed that shot over the years and its a very good one! Adriana was so humiliated....lucky the stadium was half-empty at the time ;)
Jelena does definently deserve credit - because she has quite clearly developed her game ... and the results are showing it - she especially seems to love the clay ;)

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
:wavey: Vixen :kiss: ...

Tammy i also think is fairly underrated. She's a very deceptive player and although she doesn't hit the ball that hard , its flat, and decpetive...she can take it early and her placement is great. She really should have atleast one title by now, but that WILL come, just as long as she doesnt play Seles in the final again...;)! She really deserves her top 20 position , hope she can keep up the work and she might even make the Chase.

lol...im such a suck up

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I remember Steffi beating Anne Kremer 6-0, 6-0 one Wimbledon. 1996? Anne wasn't even playing badly, she just couldn't do anything against Steffi.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Martina over Venus... 6-1 6-1.

It was just so awful to see Venus playing "tennis" in that match... :sad:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Speaking of that match... it is very interesting.

I think the number of winners was excatly identical and the number of unforced errors was almost similar as well. They both won the excat same number of points as well if I'm not wrong. Yet Serena lost 4-6 2-6. Very shocking match.

·
63,711 Posts
Tina Pisnik def. Rachel McQuillan 6-2 6-4 at Dubai 2002! :sad: McQuillan was semifinalist at the event in 2001 and R1 loser in 2002. After the event, she is out of Top 100! :sad:

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
Sorry Saki but Steffi has never played Anne Kremer let alone beat her 6-0 6-0 at Wimbledon. Perhaps you are thinking of Helen Kelesi who lost by that score to Steffi.

Painful thrashings:

1988 French Open Final: Graf bt Zvereva 6-0 6-0. Zvereva along with Sabatini was seen as the only person capable of developing a rivalry with Steffi but the young newcomer was paralyzed with nerves and couldn't play and in singles I don't think she ever recovered from it.

2000 Ericsson Semis: Hingis bt Seles 6-0 6-0. Never a more depressing sight for me than this match of a great champion trying to play while being totally out of shape, playing with a very obvious severe ankle injury. She shouldn't have been on the court let alone finish the match.

1994: Wimbledon r16: Davenport bt Sabatini 6-1 6-3. Such an annoying match to watch. The scene was set for Gaby to lift the Wimbledon title. Graf and Sanchez the top 2 seeds had been early casualties so finally perhaps Gaby could make up for what she should have won in '91. But Gaby played a totally off key match and crashed out and it was Martinez who grabbed the chance for the title that year.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Ruano-Pascual def. Hingis Wimby 01 - An injured Hingis trying to play ang getting trashed :( :sad: Poor Marti ;)

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
Well I would have to say when Serena Williams d. Martina Hingis 6-3 6-2 at US Open last year. I know it's not a huge thrashing but it was for me! The reason been I think she didn't play that bad, except Serena was really TOO good. Venus, Lindsay, Jenn or any other player has never beaten Martina like this. So it was the worse. Serena can really dominate Martina like no one else can.

I know she's had worse thrashings like Pierce winning 6-0 6-0 and Dokic winning 6-2 6-0 but there were circumstances behind those losses and I wasn't that disappointed. I don't think she was that much either. But I think she was really heartbroken after that US Open loss. I look forward to another Serena-Martina match, hopefully with Martina winning! :)

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
Berlin 97 and french 97 were sad too but more because of that idiot of a docter who gave Steffi an okee to play while she should never have:(

·
Premium Member
182,146 Posts
only 1 result .....

Steffi v Natasha 88 Roland Garros Final

Natasha :(:( that one match single handledly ruined her singles career.... she never really got it back after that.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
MirjanaLfan - no, I thought I might have got that wrong. Will have to look it up. I remember the match itself very clearly, just can't quite remember Steffi's opponent...

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Ahhhh. Got it. 1995 Graf d. Boogert 6-1, 6-0. It was just such a beautiful display of tennis. Even though Kristie Boogert is a damn good grass-court player, she just couldn't do anything.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts