Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
that there were no American winners this year in GS Men's or Womens' singles or doubles. Moreover, there were only few finalists. Has it happened before?

2004 Australian Open:
Winners: Evans/Oudesma in boys' doubles
Finalists: Martina N. in mixed and Bryan brothers in men's doubles

2004 French Open:
Finalists: Kuznetsov in boys' singles and doubles

2004 Wimbledon:
Winners: Evans/Oudesma in boys' doubles
Finalists: Roddick in men's singles; S. Williams in women's singles

Do you think these were just tough times and US tennis will regain its domination at the 2004 US Open?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Now you know how it feels to be British. :lol:

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
Well as long as Roddick and the Williamses are healthy I think the u.s. should at least produce a finalist in both events.

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool bird said:
Now you know how it feels to be British. :lol:
:lol: or any other nationality including Russians until this year. although, the record above is just dismal...

·
Registered
113,553 Posts
The U.S. had both finalists at Wimbledon. That's pretty good.

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
I'm sure the USOpen will make it *cough* more suitable for the americans like last year *cough*(rodduck).

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, it seems like some of us here were wrong.

Is this the first time ever that the only American player to reach a final (btw, he won) in any pro event at the US Open is a player on a mixed doubles team (Bob Brian)?

Evans/Oudesma (final) and Kirkland (semi) are still in competition, but it's hard to believe Jessica would win a title.

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
These little facts never really fly with me when over half the Americans on this board root vehemently against the Williams Sisters, regardless of the nationality of their opponents. I hardly think that Americans are sad about the lack of representation in the Slam finals.

Reactions: mykarma

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess, it's not about sadness. It's about American tennis, undoubtedly the best in the world, being in such a huge slump. And not just men's or women's.... Both.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
bandabou said:
Well as long as Roddick and the Williamses are healthy I think the u.s. should at least produce a finalist in both events.
Erm... Roddick WAS healthy. He got beat at his game.

Am I misunderstanding you? If you mean that generally, in the future, he should make more finals... sure, I agree with that ;)

·
Registered
32,994 Posts
Pureracket said:
These little facts never really fly with me when over half the Americans on this board root vehemently against the Williams Sisters, regardless of the nationality of their opponents. I hardly think that Americans are sad about the lack of representation in the Slam finals.
Ain't that the truth. :worship:

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Lindsay. No seriously, I am like about to cry right now. I can't IMAGINE how she feels. And Sveta in her interview was like "she played so well, but I was not playing too good.":fiery:

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
bandabou said:
the game is really unpredictable!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,694 Posts
Pureracket said:
...erm...I can't think of more than a couple of Americans on this board who 'root vehemently' against the sisters...who am I forgetting...? :confused:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Me? *hug* I mean, look at my signature! ^_^

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
. . ..erm. . .treufreund, mboyle, sharapovafan, cheesestix, selesfan, San Tourean, Martian KC,RedFila, QueenLindsay. . ... .. I could go on and on.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,694 Posts
Pureracket said:
. . ..erm. . .treufreund, mboyle, sharapovafan, cheesestix, selesfan, San Tourean, Martian KC,RedFila, QueenLindsay. . ... .. I could go on and on.
...fair enough, but at least two of those aren't American... :)

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
Willow said:
...fair enough, but at least two of those aren't American... :)
I'm sure we can replace them with two Americans. Ten Isse Fan, for instance. Were you SERIOUSLY wanting to get into this discussion with me? You know I'm telling the truth.;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts