Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested to see if the public really is interested in Maria, or if the media has just tried to create a star. Of course, we won't really know that until we see ratings for her when she plays lesser-known opponents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,940 Posts
I think the public is really interested. She has made no. 1 on Search Engines, like Google I believe. I really want to know the ratings myself! Go Maria!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,402 Posts
I have a stupid question...How do you find out what's #1 on search engines?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,940 Posts
I just saw on Netscape.com, it showed most searched top 5. Maria was #1 twice this past week. Yahoo, they sporadically post a section on their main page of most searched items, topics, whatever. I dont know how to actually find that information without it already being presented to me-- so it's not a stupid question! I wanna know too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,402 Posts
Mrs. Guga said:
I just saw on Netscape.com, it showed most searched top 5. Maria was #1 twice this past week. Yahoo, they sporadically post a section on their main page of most searched items, topics, whatever. I dont know how to actually find that information without it already being presented to me-- so it's not a stupid question! I wanna know too
Thanks at least for this info! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,809 Posts
Its weird, cause alot of my friends (that dont watch tennis) said they watched the womens final. :lol: Maybe it'll get a high rating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm surprised the ratings still have not come out. We usually know by early afternoon, no?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,222 Posts
jenglisbe said:
I'm surprised the ratings still have not come out. We usually know by early afternoon, no?
Yeah..i thought so to..keep your eye out for them though.. :wavey:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,942 Posts
jenglisbe said:
I'm surprised the ratings still have not come out. We usually know by early afternoon, no?
There could be two reasons why we don't know what the ratings are. One is today is July 4th and tomorrow is when we observe the holiday since it fell on a Sunday this year, so no one is around to report this. The other reason is that the ratings weren't what they expected so they are holding the informatio until late tomorrow afternoon. My guess is that the first reason is the reason why we don't know what the ratings were as of yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,069 Posts
I believe they'll be good compared to recent slams. Roddick and Sharapova are probably the most hyped (or over-hyped) players out there so I'm sure the ratings for the Finals were good.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,735 Posts
WF4EVER said:
I believe they'll be good compared to recent slams. Roddick and Sharapova are probably the most hyped (or over-hyped) players out there so I'm sure the ratings for the Finals were good.
True. And when a Williams is in the final it can only help the ratings.
 

·
.
Joined
·
49,001 Posts
I think if the ratings were high, the general public tuned in more to see Serena Williams, not Maria Sharapova IMO.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,116 Posts
justinhosbey said:
I think if the ratings were high, the general public tuned in more to see Serena Williams, not Maria Sharapova IMO.
I disagree my brother in law, my cousin and my nephew all saw the women final, to see Maria.
They never played, never watched a tennis match, heck they don't know how to count points !! lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,942 Posts
justinhosbey said:
I think if the ratings were high, the general public tuned in more to see Serena Williams, not Maria Sharapova IMO.
I agree with that partially; I think the general public tuned in to see Serena lose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,049 Posts
lizchris said:
I agree with that partially; I think the general public tuned in to see Serena lose.
the general public gave a damn for who won or lost, they wanted to see Maria, there were people at work that have no clue about tennis but they watched the final.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,222 Posts
Fingon said:
the general public gave a damn for who won or lost, they wanted to see Maria, there were people at work that have no clue about tennis but they watched the final.
Here here ;) :worship:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Fingon said:
the general public gave a damn for who won or lost, they wanted to see Maria, there were people at work that have no clue about tennis but they watched the final.
Disagree with you there, I also can assure you that there were a lot of people tuning to see if Serena Williams would lose. She is still a big draw. People either love them or hate them. I also have a lot of friends who were watching the match just to see serena.
 

·
.
Joined
·
49,001 Posts
lizchris said:
I agree with that partially; I think the general public tuned in to see Serena lose.
No, don't let these tennis fans on this board distort what is actually the Williams Sisters image in the general public. General public, non-tennis fans in America ONLy watch tennis when a Williams sister is playing, and its because they love to see Serena and/or Venus dominate an opponent, and they find their style of tennis exciting and interesting., and their personalities even more exciting.

The people on this board represent the die hard tennis fans who boo Venus and Serena in matches, not the general public. Everybody I know asked me what time was the Wimbledon Final, because they wanted to see Serena play, not Masha.

I know a lot of people (mostly men) may have seen a clip of Masha on ESPN Sportcenter and were attracted to her/ interesting in how she'd do against Serena, but the majority of the American audience wanted just tp see Serena play.

The general American assumption is that Venus and Serena still run roughshod over the field weekly, thats why they always go up to Serena and ask her, "Aren't you still number 1?"

Tennis is really a second-class sport in the United States, and not even Anna Kournikova could bring up enough interest in the game as the Williams sisters do. America loves Venus and Serena, its just those non-monority tennis freaks for the most part who tuned in to see Serena lose.
 

·
.
Joined
·
49,001 Posts
Fingon said:
hmmm, ok, if you believe that.
I can't speak for European audiences, all I can speak on is the general American audience, and I know for a fact that if the rating were high, its because people heard that Serena Williams was in the final, not the unknown Maria Sharapova.
 
1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Top