Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VIRGINIA RUANO PASCUAL - / PAOLA SUAREZ
KIM CLIJSTERS - / AI SUGIYAMA
LINDSAY DAVENPORT - / LISA RAYMOND
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA - / MARTINA NAVRATILOVA

CARA BLACK - / ELENA LIKHOVTSEVA is 500 points back,
that's almost a grand slam
LIEZEL HUBER - / MAGDALENA MALEEVA is about 800,
the rest are more than a thousand points away...
so does this mean it's all been decided?

· Registered
5,033 Posts
I don't understand the format... Will it be round robin, with only one group. The two on the top play the finals ? Or two semis and one finals, like a normal draw ? I think it would be more interesting if they used the same format as the singles. The eight top teams in two round robin groups. Maybe they do this only because some doubles players are also qualified in singles, but I mean, that's only Lindsay and Kim... and maybe Ai. What do you think ?

· Registered
2,570 Posts
I am wondering about the format, too. If it's a lot of matches - and at the same time as the singles - I am wondering if Kim will commit to the doubles.

· Registered
949 Posts
I think with Lindsay´s injury that Cara and Elena are already in. I think Lindsay´s is having her surgery within the next couple of weeks and that prevents her from playing LA both singles and doubles.

It WAS a tight fight between this year surprisingly successful team of Martina Sveta and this year surprisingly struggling team of Cara Elena.

I think the format is the usual one. Teams Kim and Ai same as Virginia and Paola should be seeded and the other 2 will be drawn to them by fate for the semi-final. I think that the WTA wasn´t as interested as we are in doubles not knowing that without the Williams probably and Lindsay (and Monica injured 2003) they´d only have Jenn and Chanda as local players in their event.

Now they should be happy to have Martina in that event. And if it´s true that doubles is limited to just 3 matches (and Martina against the top seeded teams is likely to go out after her first match) it´s just ridiculous. But for Kim it´s a good choice. Ai is likely to qualify too with both Williams maybe not playing and that should be good for both of them with only 2 matches in doubles played for a team.

Consequently, I think it would have been unfair for Kim to withdraw from doubles if Ai would not have qualified for the singles. Now even this is possible. In spite of the fact that tragic circumstances are responsible for that.

· Registered
10,834 Posts
i think doubles is knock out event ;)

· Registered
3,619 Posts
A knock-out event where the World Champion Doubles Team only has to win 2 matches!? Why don't they extend it to 8 teams and play round robin format during the following week? No one will watch any of the matches unless Martina is involved, but at least it might mean LA loses the Tour Champs.

· Registered
2,311 Posts
Having an instant knock out competition with four teams involved is just plain stupid, not to mention disrespectful of the doubles event as a whole. If they care that little for doubles, why not just scrap the whole event?

Surely treating the doubles discipline in this way, added to the fact TV channels hardly ever bother to broadcast doubles and the official WTA Tour site all but ignores it too, just acts to decrease the amount of interest in it amongst the fans as people are hardly likely to be interested in an event and players they rarely ever have the chance to see.

As someone who generally watches way more doubles than singles I think it's sad. :sad:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.