Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not that they have to, but do we know of any such occurrences? How about the WTA or USTA officials? Has anybody heard anything?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,008 Posts
Yeah, Kim did.....and then she held a press conderence 10 minutes later, to tell the media all about it in excruciating detail.

*note: this did not actually happen, I understand some people can't comprehend a joke*

BTW on a serious note, I doubt we'd ever know about it if they did, and we shouldn't because if you really are sorry for them tell them about it and there's no reason for the rest of the world to know how "compassionate" you are to everyone else.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
The WTA made an official statement. I would expect Monica Seles, Lindsay and maybe Kim to make public statements express their sorrow for the sisters

·
Registered
24,264 Posts
maybe monica will fax yet again... i dont think shed address them publicly when shes not even playing... i dont think anyone would say anything if they arent playing (publicly).

i hope some of them send cards though.

·
YOU'RE WELCOME!
6,880 Posts
Call me cynical, but if I heard about which players had done this, I'd wonder who they'd done it for. If you genuinely do it out of care and consideration for other people, then does it matter that other people (ie. us) should find out? On the other hand, if someone expresses their condolences publicly, then are they doing it genuinely or just to look like the good guy? In which case, do they really care or is it to preserve their image?

I know where you're coming from, wanting to know who cares, but quite frankly, anyone who is public with their expressions may not have done it for the sake of the people who have suffered a loss.

Having said that, I'd like to think that some players will pass on messages to the family, just not for us to know about.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand your point, Snuffkin. Yet, anything from Justine, Jennifer, ... to name a few? How about the Russian horde?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I am sure many have expressed there feelings to them, we just don't know about it. That is also the way it should be

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Do they have to make their condolences known? It really shouldn't matter to us.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Is it really fair to have that expectation? Because it is a no-win situation if that player does. If a player expresses public sympathy, then that person will be looked upon as intruding on the private grief of this family. If a player does not express public sympathy, then that person will be looked upon as cold-hearted for not expressing sympathy to a grieving family.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Snuffkin said:
Call me cynical, but if I heard about which players had done this, I'd wonder who they'd done it for. If you genuinely do it out of care and consideration for other people, then does it matter that other people (ie. us) should find out? On the other hand, if someone expresses their condolences publicly, then are they doing it genuinely or just to look like the good guy? In which case, do they really care or is it to preserve their image?

I know where you're coming from, wanting to know who cares, but quite frankly, anyone who is public with their expressions may not have done it for the sake of the people who have suffered a loss.

Having said that, I'd like to think that some players will pass on messages to the family, just not for us to know about.
this situation reminds me of the Maurairu (sp) one where there was this public show of sympathy organised by one or two ringleaders who got annoyed when Serena and Venus refused to take part. of course the sisters promptly got slated for this.
it later turns out that Corinna did receive private messages of support from the sisters - as she pointed out herself - but of course, in an attempt to run with the 'they are villians' story not much mention was made of this.

i also think condolences should be a private thing and as such too much attention should not be given to identifying those who do or don't make a show of it.

if anything, the next few months will identify which of the players still habour ill feeling, irrespective of public shows of sympathy, by virtue of comments made to the press, e.t.c.

I, for one, will be watching events unfold with interest.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Why? Who cares what Celebrity A says about Celebrity B? At the end of the day, people are only interested in what the rest of the top 10, because a comment from someone ranked 150 is irrelevant.
I think its time people stopped living vicariously through what's said in the media, because in actual fact you'll find that has little to do with the day-to-day relationships between the players anyway.

Just because Kim said something about it doesnt mean she's 100x a better person than someone else: it could just mean she's the only one of the top ten who posts messages daily for her fans...she could hardly not mention it.

Dont read anything into silence, nor to public comments because you never see the true picture.

·
Registered
876 Posts
TennisPower said:
I understand your point, Snuffkin. Yet, anything from Justine, Jennifer, ... to name a few? How about the Russian horde?
Justine did it yesterday. She said on television that she was going to send her condolences to the family.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Serena got some knocks for refusing to participate in a get-well wish for Corina Moriaru shortly after she had been diagnosed with leukemia. Serena made it up to Corina shortly afterwards by sending her a card and wishinh her well on the air.

in the same spirit, despite the unpopularity of the Sisters on the tour, i'd like to believe that the top players will get some knocks for not doing the right thing by contacting the family directly or indirectly and sending their condolences.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bella, Gourownway, statements like yours are expected from elementary school children who are not fully imbued with the meaning, extent and reverberation of intelligence. Old farts like you are acting way below expectations. "The need to know is sacred to all free men and women."

Although I concede expressions of feelings are usually kept private, public figures in many a field often make them publicly.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
If someone expressed a condolence through a publci statement, It would not be as heartfelt as if it was a card, letter or a phone call. If the players do one of those, we will not know. Speculationg on who did or did not do this is extremely petty. Someone died and to ponder *who* will send a condolence is extremely shallow and disrespectful.

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
serena is a jahovas witness, its against there religigon to be nice to anyone outside there own family/religious whatever (im serious)...but for what its worth serena is pretty nice!

Reactions: "Topaz"

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Amanda has said in an interview that she gets along very well with richard, so I think she will contact him and the family in private.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
I think Lisa Raymond will too. She says she gets along with them much better than a few years ago.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts