Tennis Forum banner

Has your view on screaming/grunting changed?

• Yes. I used to hate it and now I love it.

• Yes. I used to hate it and now I just accept it.

• Yes. I used to love it and now I hate it.

• Yes. I used to love it and now I just accept it.

• Yes. I used to just accept it and now I love it.

• Yes. I used to just accept it and now I hate it.

• No. I just accepted it back then and I still just accept it now.

• No. I hated it back then and I still hate it now.

• No. I loved it back then and I still love it now.

Results are only viewable after voting.
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Sharapova did not always grunt. If you look back at the ‘04 Wimby final, she exhales in a natural-sounding way but is not screaming. Halep’s grunt doesn’t bother me, even though I agree with you that it’s loud and she never used to grunt like that. I agree with whoever said his/her feeling about grunting varies depending on the feelings for the player. Though I love Serena, even her grunt is annoying to me at times and will sound desperate if she’s losing or out of shape. Sabalenka annoys me the most, but that could just be because I don’t like her. She, just like Maria, grunts even when hitting a soft shot that would take very little exertion.
Sharapova ALWAYS grunted. She was unusually quiet in that match because she was laser focused on not letting Serena in the match. Hingis said Sharapova always grunted snd could hear her from several courts away when Maria first came onto the tour. There's also videos of her at 13 and 14...still grunting. In her book, she said she does not remember when it started because it's just instinct and she doesn’t care what people think of her grunt. Their problem, not hers.

Reactions: Black Buzzard

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Sharapova ALWAYS grunted. She was unusually quiet in that match because she was laser focused on not letting Serena in the match. Hingis said Sharapova always grunted snd could hear her from several courts away when Maria first came onto the tour. There's also videos of her at 13 and 14...still grunting. In her book, she said she does not remember when it started because it's just instinct and she doesn’t care what people think of her grunt. Their problem, not hers.
🙄

·
Banned
13 Posts
It is abhorrent. I blame first Seles, and then Sharapova, Vika, and Serena. Sharapova's and Vika's volume was way too loud to be excusable, so that calling it a grunt is a misnomer: it is a scream (pova) or a banshee wail (vika). They do it even when they hit dropshots.

Serena's grunt is pure gamesmanship; she is often silent until the chips are down, and then starts grunting to try to scare her opponent – yet another way she tries to intimidate opponents.

The umpires should have nipped this stuff in the bud by penalizing it as a hindrance, just as Navratilova always said.
Oh really what about petra barking like a dog after every shot. Thankfully she is on her way out so we dont have to see many of her matches. the sooner she is gone the better.

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
I think you should start that thread. You could broaden the conversation to misogyny behind women's tennis in general. Some posts in TF give me the absolute creeps and I don't think the people making those posts realise how they come across.
I was rewatching this match. I found male commentator (totally blank on his name now) comments about Jelena's and Ana's body at the beginning of the match creepy. Others may not find the comments creepy, because he is reflecting on their bodies as athletes - lost weight, gained muscles, etc., the lady also joins in. Subjectivity comes into play depending on the person.

Of course you are right though, there are many misogynist here - sometimes even from women.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I was slowly starting to rely on the new generation of players to reduce or better get off of that grunt thing, but yesterday Kostyuk gave a fatal stroke to my hopes.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
My view changed since I watched highlights of the Sorribes Tor-muro and Strycova match in Prague.
It must be torture playing Sorribes with the endless rallies and long inelegant, corona-dispersing cough grunt.

OK, I'm mostly kidding.
I'm still quite tolerant of grants as a viewer.
They quickly fade into background. Sometimes they even feel strangely appropriate.
Only Sorribes' grunt has ever felt distracting to me. But that made me think that perhaps the threshold is lower for others.

·
Registered
25,605 Posts
Larcher de Brito’s scream was so insane and I’m grateful she never made it on the WTA level. Sabalenka’s is also ridiculous but it’s kinda grown on me for some reason.

The worst offenders are the multi-syllable grunters who are clearly faking it to annoy their opponent. Schiavone was awful about doing this. Pereira’s grunt was outright cheating/hindrance. Vesnina’s hi-ya grunt was bad too.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I don't mind it as long as it's consistent.
Some players, eg Sabalenka, will change their grunt when they are down in a game and it's hard not to be suspicious that it's a distraction-type-tactic.

Some I can tolerate more than others. Hated Sharapova's growl, but don't really feel anyways about Halep or Muguruza doing a similar kind of sound.
I think a lot of how much I can tolerate (as in watch a match) depends on how much I like the player.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
I don't mind it as long as it's consistent.
Some players, eg Sabalenka, will change their grunt when they are down in a game and it's hard not to be suspicious that it's a distraction-type-tactic.

Some I can tolerate more than others. Hated Sharapova's growl, but don't really feel anyways about Halep or Muguruza doing a similar kind of sound.
I think a lot of how much I can tolerate (as in watch a match) depends on how much I like the player.
Exactly.

Like how Sharapova's grunt sounds like Angels sighing. While Muguruza and Halep sound like they are pushing out the biggest, fattest turd in history.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts