Tennis Forum banner

Has your view on screaming/grunting changed?

• Yes. I used to hate it and now I love it.

• Yes. I used to hate it and now I just accept it.

• Yes. I used to love it and now I hate it.

• Yes. I used to love it and now I just accept it.

• Yes. I used to just accept it and now I love it.

• Yes. I used to just accept it and now I hate it.

• No. I just accepted it back then and I still just accept it now.

• No. I hated it back then and I still hate it now.

• No. I loved it back then and I still love it now.

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When screaming really became a thing on tour, it was extremely controversial; there were all kinds of conversations about banning players who screamed, whether or not it was gamesmanship, decibel metres to set a limit on how loud screaming could be, etc etc.

Personally, I never hated it, but some screams did kill me - I definitely found Sharapova's and Azarenka's to be really difficult. I found them to be borderline gamesmanship.

Now, it's pretty much accepted. Hardly anybody says anything.

Some of the biggest names on tour are also the loudest screamers, like Sabalenka, Muguruza and Halep. We also have players who are sometimes but not always loud, like Svitolina, Serena, Kvitova, Venus, Errani and Andreescu, as well as the SUPER loud but not necessarily top players like Riske. Then we have other players who aren't exactly super loud by today's standards, but definitely still make noise - Kenin, Bertens, Konta, Kerber etc. The only really notable players I can think of who make little to no noise are Osaka, Bencic, Pliskova and Barty.

Some of these players were formerly silent or quiet and have developed the noises, but many have played this way for years.

The weird thing is that they don't really bother me anymore - I've kind of accepted that this is how it sounds and I believe that these are legitimate screams, rather than gamesmanship. I mostly accept that volume makes no difference.

However, I admit that I find the screams with particularly exaggerated length (past the point of the opponent even hitting the ball) to be borderline unacceptable, as with the very shrill screams or those which use multiple notes in a vocal range.

So, have your views changed as well? Or is it just me?

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
It is abhorrent. I blame first Seles, and then Sharapova, Vika, and Serena. Sharapova's and Vika's volume was way too loud to be excusable, so that calling it a grunt is a misnomer: it is a scream (pova) or a banshee wail (vika). They do it even when they hit dropshots.

Serena's grunt is pure gamesmanship; she is often silent until the chips are down, and then starts grunting to try to scare her opponent – yet another way she tries to intimidate opponents.

The umpires should have nipped this stuff in the bud by penalizing it as a hindrance, just as Navratilova always said.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
I used to accept it. Seles’ grunt, for example, didn’t bother me so much. But now it’s just excessive. Players are still screaming long after the ball has left their racquet. Unfortunately the tours (and yes, there are many obnoxious screamers on the men’s tour as well) are unwilling to take any action.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I sometimes think it's easy to blame everything on the women's game with grunting & noise.

Sure, Sharapova gave me the shits with her noise, Larcher De Brito was horrible,as is Errani but most players I can take as long as it's only on one side of the net.

I've never had grunting or noise issues with the likes of players mentioned in the first post, Kerber, Kvitova, Konta, Bianca, Sofia, most of the noise is just a little exhale of breath after a shot.
Even Aryna has Quitened down a lot in recent history.

I do agree that most of the noise is gamesmanship from many players, but I personally don't think it's as bad as it was.

Have you ever heard the men's game.
Nadal really shit's me with his grunting, but because he's a legend, no one really worries about calling it out, Ferrer was bad, and there are a couple of other guys who's names I forget that are intolerable.

·
Premium Member
40,684 Posts
Always hate screams. Especially the huge ones, the hindering ones. But if opponents aren't bothered, why would I be bothered for them? It's just me. I can't stand hindrance. I love class. 😉

·
Registered
18,426 Posts
I don't care. I was just watching some videos of me playing tennis, and I don't normally grunt but when the point stretches on, and I'm getting tired, I definitely start to make noise as it requires more effort to keep going. So I get that there's something natural there. But I'm certainly not screaming.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
My reaction is: I Don't Care.

Example: one of my favorite players on tour right now, Mertens, barely grunted when I first started following her matches. Now, she's pretty loud on every point. And I couldn't care less.

I've always maintained that some opposition (not all!) to grunting stems from a place of misogyny - the men get nowhere near the same criticism. Example 2:Carlos Alcaraz is a very promising player, his grunt is loud, inconsistent, changes sounds, and I've read 0 comments complaining about it. Maybe it's because he hasn't established himself on the tour yet, but it will be interesting to see in the coming years what the reaction will be and compare it to how Sabalenka was received, for instance.

I think that some discussion of grunting is important to have. Questions like: is the grunt too long, and is it coming well after the ball has left the opponent's racket and well into when their opponent has returned the ball? Because that's hindrance and needs to be addressed. But most of the time, the reaction is "why are they so loud???"

If you're watching two professional athletes trading missiles from the baseline, displaying some of the best athleticism in their sport, and all you're thinking is: "why are they so loud"... then the problem is you, not the players.

Reactions: Pierre.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I have a lot of friends who only watch tennis on big occasions, such as Wimbledon or the US Open. They stopped watching matches with the likes of Sharapova, Azarenka, Halep, Muguruza because of the screaming. While it might not be a problem for hard-core tennis fans, it is a big turnoff for casual fans.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I have a lot of friends who only watch tennis on big occasions, such as Wimbledon or the US Open. They stopped watching matches with the likes of Sharapova, Azarenka, Halep, Muguruza because of the screaming. While it might not be a problem for hard-core tennis fans, it is a big turnoff for casual fans.
Let us know when they stop watching Serena and Venus's matches.

·
Registered
31,321 Posts
They don't really bother me as long as they fit to what is happening on court. I don't mind players making short, even loud, noises when they exhale while hitting the ball. I always had more problems with these long, unnatural grunts. I was watching a few old highlights this weekend and came across this one and thought it was kind of unwatchable lol

Obviously, you get used to it after a while and it's not that it actively prevents me from watching. I even appreciate it contributing to the drama sometimes. It's just that this shrieking can be slightly annoying (looking at you, Aryna)

·
Registered
8,939 Posts
This is still hilarious:

It doesn't really bother me at all these days. Although I do think it has gotten a bit excessive in terms of... the sheer volume of some grunts these days couldn't possibly come from a legitimate, inherent grunt due to stroke production (hello Vesnina, Riske, Sabalenka - the Shenzhen final between the latter two was a LOT) so it does read more 'comical' than 'intense'. It was fine with Seles for example where it still sounds like a natural noise you would potentially make when hitting the ball hard.

The only time I really have a problem with it is when it is:
  • too elongated (Azarenka being the obvious example although i'm used to hers), or
  • clearly artificial to add some faux 'intensity' to their game or point. Screamona Halep is just one of many who does this. She never used to grunt really, and you really notice it's unnecessary for them when their ball hits the net or goes wide, and their normally elongated noise suddenly stops mid-grunt.
To me though it's not necessarily gamesmanship (with rare exceptions - hi Danielle Collins) and is actually often an indication that a player is feeling insecure or unconfident. Serena's grunt gets louder and more fragile sounding whenever she gets shaky. Kuznetsova's is more pronounced when deep into a long rally and feeling like she's about to hit an error. During Muguruza and Garcia's flop periods (the latter of which is still ongoing) they grunted louder and more nervously than ever before in their careers, hahah.

I'm well aware that my two faves have very loud / distinctive grunts (Venus' short banshee shriek and Hsieh's little chirp lol), but Venus has been grunting the same way since 1994 and maybe i've just gotten used to it.

I do also agree that there is an element of misogyny to the criticism.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
I wasn't keen when Seles started it but now I'm used to it and I love quite a lot of it. If both players are at it it can be a bit annoying (Vika-Sabalenk would be a bit much) but mostly I love how territorial and aggressive it is.
I hated the awful noise Kuerten made though and can't stand Nadal's hideous groaning either. No idea why some people seem oblivious to the fact that a lot of men are incredibly noisy.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Maybe the grunting/screaming will lessen over time as I don't think many of the young promising players coming up are known for it?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
I have three categories, not that I won't watch the match, I just get a be a little bit peeved.
Those who started grunted later in life - originally they were not grunters: Halep, Muguruza, - this group irritates me the most
Those who have always grunted: SST, Gorgodze, Sabalenka, Sharapova, Azarenka - The irritation depends on whether they are winning or losing against some of my favourites
Those who grunt on certain points: Svitolina, Serena - this I don't mind

1 - 20 of 73 Posts