Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Banned
14,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if she is, when and how the results were?
let's share some memories ;)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
64,790 Posts
Sometimes I think the definition of slump was modelled after MEC's career :sad:

·
Registered
21,146 Posts
I'm not sure you can call it slumps, but Mary's had lots of up and downs due to injuries... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
13,968 Posts
Chris Evert never had a slump. She was never ranked lower than No 4 at any point in her loooooooooong career. If she ever had a slump, her slump was better than almost anyone else's peak.

Martina Hingis has had by her own high standards a slump recently I guess.

Jennifer Capriati had a brilliant first few and last few years to her career, inbetween it was :tape: ........but I never gave up hope and was rewarded in the end. :D

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Let's not go there with Nastya... I'm begining to believe that her great results were her best tennis... and she is no more than a 10-20 ranked player when on court (and not injured)... but given her profile, the last 2 years have been shit.

·
Registered
26,890 Posts
Sofia Arvidsson

After US Open 2006, she won 1 match in Qualifying up until St Paul in Febuary 2007

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Jennifer from 1993-2001

thats between the ages of 16-24, which is when most players are in their prime.

to think what Jennifer's stats might be like now had she taken a different path - she would now have 7 slams at least i believe and loads more titles.

however, thats irrelevant, she wouldnt have been the person she became, she maybe wouldnt have had the immense grit, determination and will to win that she had post 2000, because she wouldnt have sunk so low, she wouldnt have known what it takes to pull yourself back.

she really is an insiration!

·
sharp as cheddar
22,262 Posts
klara zakopalova. last year she was seeded in the main draw at the french. this year she'll be lucky if she's seeded in quallies. :p

although her results have gotten better as of late. which makes me very happy. :)

·
Registered
21,146 Posts

·
Premium Member
66,184 Posts
Sofia Melikishvili is in a slump :( and Salome Devidze was also when she lost 10 matches :help: Looks Like Margalita Cant regain her 2006 Form :(

·
Registered
26,890 Posts
Arvidsson says her slump, was a result of high expectation and lack of confidence.

·
Registered
12,384 Posts
Serena and Venus had slump from 2004-2006. And Venus is still in a slump now. They both one only one slam and had lots of bad losses to players they shouldn't have lost to.

·
Registered
19,187 Posts
Claudine Schaul has been in a slump since winning this Strasbourg title in 2004 :mad: :tape:

Other faves have gone through bad slumps too: Anne Kremer - 2005 was terrible, Jelena Jankovic - debut 2006, Karolina Sprem - during last 2 years

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Chris Evert never had a slump. She was never ranked lower than No 4 at any point in her loooooooooong career. If she ever had a slump, her slump was better than almost anyone else's peak.

Martina Hingis has had by her own high standards a slump recently I guess.

Jennifer Capriati had a brilliant first few and last few years to her career, inbetween it was :tape: ........but I never gave up hope and was rewarded in the end. :D
Jen's problems with the police and all were when I truly did feel sorry for her. After starting a pro career so very young and being so focused on that one thing, she needed some time to find herself as a person when she was a teen. She's not my favorite, but I was happy for her when she was able to compete at the top again.

Chris Evert used to say that she "slumped" during her 1973 first season on the tour when she failed to get some wins that she felt she should have! I thought she was doing great for a first year pro!

Didn't Chris also suffer a serious slump in the beginning of 1979 (Winter Slims tour)? She lost to Tracy Austin easily three times in 10 days!!!! It got to the point where Chris took four to six months off and considered whether she'd come back again (she did some commentating and travelling with new hubby John). But Chris got through it.

I personally want to consider Chris' poor clay season in 1989 a slump -- but my more reasonable self tells me that was Chris just running completely out of mental energy, and at 34, was starting to hit the wall as they say. Although, she did come back and play into the semis at Wimbie (after a tough QF) and the quarters at the Open. Then a successful Fed Cup ending. Not to bad an ending for someone of her age who had hit the wall.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts