Tennis Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only one top ten, Jennifer is scheduled to enter. Sugiyama will be the second highest ranked player. The field will be really pathetic for a tier II event. I know SARS is one of the reasons many people have refrained from entering this event but still.....
Do you think hadn't it been moved from Tokyo, things would be much better?
That pathetic commitment list made me wonder how much more pathetic Japan Open will be.... I don't think WTA is doing a good enough job marketting the tour in Asia.

·
Banned
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump. This thread should be very good so worth bumping up over n over.

·
Banned
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bump again!!

·
Banned
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bump!!

·
Banned
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bump

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Usually the first two weeks after the U.S. Open tournaments can't really expect a strong draw. Brasil in 2001 Monica Seles showed up an the 2nd seed was dokci who was ranked around 12 a the time . So for this time frame it ha never really been good for tournaments.

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
Warsaw was pretty weak field. There were only three top 10 players, which for a tier 2 is bad.

·
Registered
22,590 Posts
Isn't Serena mean't to be playing if shes fit?

·
Banned
36,940 Posts
Shanghai in 2003 turned out to be a very respectable final after all. I remember Dementieva beat Rubin in the final - exactly one week after they had met in the Bali final, which Dementieva also won. They had a little fortnight rivalry!

·
Registered
20,982 Posts
“SARS” being the reason back then.
Oh, the irony. :tears:

The Shanghai event is part of the history of what is now the Beijing tournament. The WTA had a Tier IV in Beijing from 1994 to 1996 and then a Tier IV in Shanghai from 2000 to 2002 (Seles won it in 2001). Then it was finally upgraded to Tier II in 2003 and it moved to Beijing in 2004. It was a Tier II until 2008 then it became a Premier Mandatory (Tier I) in 2009 after the new roadmap was introduced and moving to the site that held the tennis for the 2008 Olympic Games. Which is what it remains until today, the China Open.

Surely we’ve gotten plenty of Tier II/Premier/500 events with dire fields from Shanghai 2003 to St. Petersburg 2021?

·
Registered
38,095 Posts
It really shows how far the tour has fallen that someone described Warsaw as a “weak Tier II” with three Top 10 players. Long gone are the days of Sydney where 9 of the Top 10 would enter. I guess the huge increases in slam and Tier I prize money have demotivated the girls from playing these events.

I really can’t think of a Tier II weaker than St Petersburg? Stanford and Moscow have gotten very weak in recent years, and Zhengzhou was also far from strong in 2019. New Haven was full of mugs before it finally got downgraded. The WTA normally has the Top 10 rule in place though so generally there is a semblance of strength. The WTA should really look at scheduling the 500s more intelligently though, it’s not just about the location it’s often about the week. Make Auckland and Prague 500s and downgrade the post-USO and post-AO weeks to 250s. If they really want 500s in China they can make Shenzhen a 500 instead of Auckland, Zhengzhou is a dumb tournament.

·
Registered
17,632 Posts
WTA needs to schedule the 500s together in the same week if there's too many of them packed in the same season/region. The young ladies have become not responsible professionally in tennis. It will eventually come back and hunt them.

Prize money shift is an issue, it demotivates them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.