Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the US Open has ever been washed out? What are the rules governing extensive periods of rain? Several years ago, there was a tournament in Scottsdale i believe, and it rained on the day of the final. If memory serves me, the prize money and the trophy was split between Davenport and Hingis. If the rain should continue for say 2 more days could they just call off the US Open?

Anyone?

·
25,876 Posts
No, a major (slam) has never been totally washed out. Hurricanes and typhoons have delayed the US Open several times though. In 1933 rain delayed the one week women's only event for days and days. On a Sunday it finally cleared, but Brit Dorothy Round refused to play on a Sunday for religious reasons! Round was a preacher's daughter.

The very next day the rains came again :p The final was finished over a week behind schedule.

The 1955 US doubles had so much rain several men's teams defaulted, leaving an unknown Japanese pair as the the first Japanese winners of a slam. It was so wet the courts were under more than a foot of water. Just for fun some players rowed boats across the courts! :eek:

So I wouldn't worry about a couple of days of rain. The worst that can happen is things get delayed a day or so.

·
Registered
10,842 Posts
Well since the tournament has been around since the late 1800's and there has been a champion in all the events since then, I think that pretty much answers your question.

The only time the Grand Slams have not been played were Wimbledon and the French Open during the two World Wars and the 1986 Australian Open. (tournament was switching from Kooyong Stadium to Flinder's Park)

Outside of Scottsdale, the Birmingham, England event for the women has been washed out before .

And I also seem to recall a men's final being washed out once but the two players came back another time to finish the match. Can't recall the circumstances but I do know this happened once.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
the aussie open was not played in 86 because of the time schedule change. the australian open was in december 85 and then again in januar 87. so it was not the case that it was not played for two years. they changed the location in 88

·
25,876 Posts
Hi Jakeev:)

Believe it or not the Aussie Open wasn't cancelled in 1986, it was just a trick of the calendar. The switch from January to November/Dec in 1977
meant TWO winners in 1977. So when they switched back in 1987 it made it look like the Aussie wasn't held for a whole year. It was really just a 14 month gap.

Navratilova helped the ITF that year by not winning all 3 slams. If she had imagine the debate about a "grand slam" :devil:

To make up for a "missing" slam TWO Virginia Slims finals were played in 1986. It was moved from the spring to the fall, where it still is. The second points race was only a few months long!

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Birmingham was cancelled in 1999 (I think), but slams are never cancelled. I remeber at the 1996 Wimby finals they played on the Monday for the mens final, womens doubles and Mixed doubles.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I think the Eastbourne final between Novotna and ASV in 1999 was also cancelled.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
no that was in 91. steffi played basuki on court two day that;)

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
I cant remember all I remember was Hingis/Sukova winning on the Monday, and then Suk and Sukova winning after that match. They finnished the men off in the day while I was at school :mad:

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
yeah they did that too in hamburg 91 when steffi was choking against monica and the rest of the match was on monday when I was at school :mad:

oh well steffi won anyway :D

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
everyone has to remember 2001 when the mens final was played on the monday at Wimbledon :D

Goran vs Pat.....what an atmosphere :eek:

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
I was on holiday then, in fact I remeber very little of the 2001 Wimby due to the fact I missed the finals. I jujst know who won :sad:

·
Registered
731 Posts
I think the Eastbourne final between Novotna and ASV in 1998 was also cancelled.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
yeah even I ended up rooting a little for ivanisevic. I was afraid the man had killed himself if he had lost and he showed great sense of humour in that good/evil goran joke before the match

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Rollo said:
Vielen Danke Irma:)

Sorry you missed the tennis in 96 Dava. How were the crowds on that Monday? I think the way Wimbledon does the mixed is cool. It's the only slam where it still seems to get some respect.
I remember it was record crowds cos it was free entry.

·
Senior Member,
1,825 Posts
Jakeev said:
Well since the tournament has been around since the late 1800's and there has been a champion in all the events since then, I think that pretty much answers your question.

The only time the Grand Slams have not been played were Wimbledon and the French Open during the two World Wars and the 1986 Australian Open. (tournament was switching from Kooyong Stadium to Flinder's Park)

Outside of Scottsdale, the Birmingham, England event for the women has been washed out before .

And I also seem to recall a men's final being washed out once but the two players came back another time to finish the match. Can't recall the circumstances but I do know this happened once.

Yes! I remember that, but I admit I had to just look it up to find the details! The 1982 Volvo International at North Conway (26 July - 2 August) was plagued by rain and the final was called off with Ivan Lendl leading Jose Higueras 6-3 3-2, and the final was only completed two months later on 27 September when Lendl won the second set 6-2 in seven minutes!!
The same tournament (which had moved to Stratton Mountain) had its final rained off again in 1987, with John McEnroe leading Lendl 7-6 1-4, and although the tournament director made several attempts to reschedule the final it didn't happen this time!

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
irma said:
yeah even I ended up rooting a little for ivanisevic. I was afraid the man had killed himself if he had lost and he showed great sense of humour in that good/evil goran joke before the match
i was so torn!

im just glad it was a great match and great crowds :D

·
Senior Member,
1,825 Posts
Also the (December) 1977 Australian Open's Women's Doubles final was rained off and the title shared between Evonne Goolagong and Helen Cawley and Mona Guerrant and Kerry Reid.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts