Tennis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a chance to watch the 1974 US Open Women's finals match between King & Golagoong through ESPN classics and was surprised to see them playing on a grass court....maybe I have problems with my eyes but they look like grass courts.

·
Premium Member
182,033 Posts
they played on grass at the US Open until 1974
then they played on Har-Tru (green clay) for 3 years
only then did they move to Flushing Meadows to where they are now.

only Jimmy Connors has won titles on all 3 surfaces at the US Open

·
Premium Member
182,033 Posts
new facilities and its alot cheaper to look after hard courts than it is to look after grass 52 weeks per yr.

also with advent of TV....... NIGHT sessions became possible

also public can use the hard courts to play on as well.
don't think that was allowed on the grass...... you wouldn't want dickheads and plonkers ruining your lawns would you ??

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
In the 60-s 3 out of 4 Grand Slam events were played on grass. That`s how Rod Laver twice managed to win Grand Slams. :)

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
TheBoiledEgg said:
new facilities and its alot cheaper to look after hard courts than it is to look after grass 52 weeks per yr.

also with advent of TV....... NIGHT sessions became possible

also public can use the hard courts to play on as well.
don't think that was allowed on the grass...... you wouldn't want dickheads and plonkers ruining your lawns would you ??

I know people did play on the grass at Forest Lawn. I know someone who remembers playing there as a teenager.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
fresh2flash said:
In the 60-s 3 out of 4 Grand Slam events were played on grass. That`s how Rod Laver twice managed to win Grand Slams. :)
It's even more of a credit to him that he could win a GS event on clay when there were so few tournaments played on clay.

But, Laver excelled on every surface. When he was barnstorming with the first pro tour, tournaments were played on every concievable surface with the possible exception of linoleum. They played in gymnasiums with wooden floors, on cement, on whatever. Please don't do the Rocket the injustice of making people think his greatness was limited to grass. He saw few grass courts while on the early pro tour.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts