Tennis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It used to be that any player in the top ten was a legitimate threat to not only score an upset, but also had an outside chance to reach the final four in a major.

Now we have ......

8 Anastasia Myskina Russia
9 Elena Dementieva Russia
10 8 Chanda Rubin United States
11 12 Magdalena Maleeva Bulgaria
12 15 Ai Sugiyama Japan
13 13 Conchita Martinez Spain
14 9 Daniela Hantuchova Slovakia 0.00
15 19 Nadia Petrova

in the top ten or knocking on the door. While it's a milestone in a players career, it doesn't seem to hold the weight of years past.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
In the 80's, realistically speaking, there were 2-3 players that had legitimate shots at the slams. In the 90's, the same thing. Today, there are seriously about 4-5 top contenders at the slams. The top of women's tennis has become slightly more competitive, and everyone else just below that have a smaller window of opportunity because of it.

To make the top ten now is much harder, but the possibility of making an improbable run is more, well, improbable.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well not just the slams, but also the big titles Tier ones, there used to be many players not only capable of winning one, but multiple tier 1 events, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Hmm, last year Patty Shnyder, Iva Majoli and Maleeva won Tier I titles. And those tournaments had Capriati, a Williams, Davenport, etc., So, it still does happen on the smaller stage.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A single tournament for ea. of them, gone are the days when Martinez, Pierce, Sabitini won big titles every year.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Even Harkleroad made the semi's of Charleston.

Sabatini doesn't win anymore because she does not play. Martinez, as great as she is, turned 30 and is reaching the end of her career. Pierce has returned from a serious injury and it might take a bit.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Come to think of it, making the top ten is really more special now. Since the space available is reserved (only about 2-3 spots) it is harder for players to get into the top ten, because they must be consistent. One good run to a Tier win, final or slam semi won't put them there. They need to string together solid results. So, I think it's a great achievement! It takes consistent results and hard work to reach the top 10 now.

·
Premium Member
182,035 Posts
DA FOREHAND said:
A single tournament for ea. of them, gone are the days when Martinez, Pierce, Sabitini won big titles every year.
Sabatini was right at the TOP.... well 1 match away from #1
she regularly used to beat Steffi and Monica in her hey-day.

Martinez has been #3
Pierce has also been top 5

so take todays' players

that would be like Clijsters, Davenport and Venus.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dockic?

Myskina?

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
When were the top 10 that good? I seem to remember Steffi tended to have one threat at a time and doubt if there were ever more than 3? Martina Hingis had 3 -5 main threats? Depends who you think the contenders are and whether they are all contenders at once. Todays top 4 plus Amelie and Venus are at least as competitive as Steffi or Monica facing each other, MJF, ASV, Mary P and Jana? If you arguing that no one new is getting to the top 4 , it seems true - we have 6 or 7 established players going for those places, several past top 4 players heading back to the top 10 and other hopefuls heading down into the thirties. What we don't have is Iva in the final or number 8 beating number one (Patty does it but not from the top 10 and not recently) But you don't get that very often and the players we might hope will crash the top 6 party are still not quite into the top 10 and still waiting their breakthrough run to a GS final.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I think Dokic won two tier 1 titles last year or the year before, but now she is what, top 50? Myskina has just had consistent semifinals, finals, and tournament wins. She may lack the killer punch because she is still quite young, but she has won 2 tournaments this year.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
IMHO, the top 6 is probably deeper now than it has ever been. It isn't completely inconceivable for any one of these players to have a good run at a slam and take it all. It's still a whole other world from the ATP but it is getting deeper.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
I think the Top 10 will slowly fill up with the proper contenders. Daniela H and Dokic both have the talent to win a major I believe, therefore once they get over their respective slumps, look for them to Come back inside the Top 10.

Rubin has made fantastic return to the tour, although I'm not sure (apart from her forehand which is hard, but maybe not hard enough) what wepaons she has to make it to a GS Semi anymore.

Myskina, hits hard, moves nicely, is a legitimate Top 10-15 player IMO.

Dementieva, has made a Slam semi, but also needs to show that she can do it consistently.

Petrova, Zvonareva could make the Top 10, but I class them more in Myskina's range.

Remova Rubin and Myskina and put in Dokic and Hantuchova and you have a deadly Top 10.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts