Tennis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's been a long time since a 17 years old held a grandslam trophy!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think they have arrived, but the question should be how long can they stay? We've seen this a couple of times in the past few years where a player will come up and really show amazing potential only to fall back to the second tier the next year. Granted no one has broken through with a slam like Sharapova did today, so she is surely someone to watch, but once the Williams Sisters and the Belgians get back healthy and find their form I think the tennis world will return back to normal. People are too fickle, how many times have we heard oh here is the next contender for the Williams sisters or the top players? Too many is the answer and no one has shown they can be a contender on a consistent basis like the Williams sisters and the Belgians have shown when healthy.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I'm just worried if we wouldn't have another Kournikova there, or if you don't like that name, Martina Hingis.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Maria is the first of a large group of talented youngsters born in 1987-89 who are about to emerge on the tour.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
golovins results are nothing to sneeze at either, making 2 grand slam 4th rounds in the same year as a 16 year old is tough. i think they are starting to arrive, i believe sharapova's slam win will make the others believe that they can get to the top of the game.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well... we will be seeing the new generation of champions more often...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Vass22 said:
I'm just worried if we wouldn't have another Kournikova there, or if you don't like that name, Martina Hingis.
Sharapova does look more like the real deal - at least she's won something :rolls:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts