Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Banned
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not too hot on my fed-cup knowledge but I do know that you have a play a certain amount of fed-cup matches to play in the olympics, and Shazza has pulled out of the next fed-cup tie.

Where does this put her in terms of Olympic dreams?

And how many players can play for one country and what Russians are likely to play?

·
Banned
9,786 Posts
Maximum 4 players from country.

And no, Sharapova can play Olympics even if she won't play a match at Fed Cup. Tarpischev said the National Federation had the right to include in the Olympics team one player regardless of his/her Davis/Fed Cup matches history.

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
Uff, even though she could I still want her to play FedCup. It would be interesting to see her interactions with her team-mates and reactions when the other Russian women play. Of course the way she's gonna play, too, you know. Also, it's a great experience and it would mean a lot to many Russian tennis fans.

·
Registered
115,207 Posts
she doesn't want to play Fed Cup. That is obvious.

Reactions: CanIGetAWhat

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
i dont know wether she wants to play fedcup or not... but it's pretty hard when other players from your country talk badly about you.

dementieva and myskina for example. i like them both, but still i was quite sad they did that.

but on the other hand that's why we love myskina. she's so friggin' evil in interviews at times you have to love her! :D

·
Registered
115,207 Posts
If she wanted to play Fed Cup, she would have played by now.
She's playing her 5th year of US WTT this summer.
Zero Fed Cup appearances.

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
WTT... Hmm, good point. And I don't know. Her Moscow appearences don't strike me as the best ever either. Do you think she has some issues?

Is it the pressure? The responsibility? I can't really think of any reason why a player wouldn't play FedCup, but scheduling and trouble with the respective countries' federation. I don't think she's got any problems with them though.

·
Registered
115,207 Posts
There are no issues. She wants to do other stuff, not play Fed Cup.
When Russia played France in the 2005 Fed Cup final, Sharapova was in Korea that weekend, playing an exhibition with Venus.

·
Registered
39,622 Posts
IMO she shouldn't be brought to Olympia. Maybe I will get a bad rep now, but she wouldn't play for Russia. She would ONLY play for herself. I do not think that this is what it should be like at the Olympic games.

·
Registered
115,207 Posts
IMO she shouldn't be brought to Olympia. Maybe I will get a bad rep now, but she wouldn't play for Russia. She would ONLY play for herself. I do not think that this is what it should be like at the Olympic games.
I don't think Sharapova cares about the Olympics. My guess is that she won't be there for the opening or closing ceremonies.
She'll show up to play, walk around the place, then leave as soon as her event is over.

·
Banned
9,786 Posts
Olympia... :lol:

I don't care whether Maria's gonna play 'for herself' or for someone else. As long as she plays under Russian flag I'm happy with that.

·
Banned
9,812 Posts
I don't think Shamil should bend the rules for Maria
if she has not played 2 Fed Cup ties, she should not be allowed in Beijing

·
Registered
115,207 Posts
I'm not clear on what the rules are, but I will guess that Eisenbud is making sure Sharapova is Olympic eligible.

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
pierce you're just afraid russia's gonna get a gold medal instead of china.

as daniilidou is the only greek hope... i mostly route for russia (and switzerland sorta...) it would be so cool if masha won a gold medal. i dont care wether she's doing it for russia or not, because it would still be a win for russia and a win for masha. hey this actually rhymes.

masha is from russia hihihi.

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
Is Eisenbud such a good manager he could pull that off :haha: ?

·
Banned
9,786 Posts
I don't think Shamil should bend the rules for Maria
if she has not played 2 Fed Cup ties, she should not be allowed in Beijing
Someone's afraid Na Li has no chance at Olympics with Sharapova in the draw :lol:

·
Registered
115,207 Posts
It would be cool if Sveta won a gold medal. Because her mom was the best cyclist, but a boycott kept her out of LA 1984.
For Sharapova, it would just be another tournament. She didn't seem upset when she didn't go to Athens.

·
Banned
9,786 Posts
It would be cool if Sveta won a gold medal. Because her mom was the best cyclist, but a boycott kept her out of LA 1984.
For Sharapova, it would just be another tournament. She didn't seem upset when she didn't go to Athens.
She couldn't go to Athens. She was the 6th ranked Russian at the moment of the Olympics entry.

·
Registered
32,778 Posts
To start with how would you know what Maria thought about Athens?

Secondly youre kidding if you think she'd go to Beijing just to play and then leave straight away. Maria would be too intrigued to miss events like opening ceremony etc. :p

1 - 20 of 184 Posts