Tennis Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't recall ever noting that he has. I noticed a couple of years ago, that a player named Jerome Golmard was the second highest ranked French player in the rankings, but was overlooked for Davis Cup duties. I thought it very strange at the time. He was ranked No. 20 at the time. The only person ranked higher than him then was Cedric Pioline, who was inside the Top 10. This must have been about 1998.

I might be wrong, but I'll risk looking silly to find out the truth. ;) So has Jerome Golmard ever been selected to play Davis Cup? Does he perhaps have a conflict with the French Tennis Federation? Does the French Tennis Federation dislike him for any reason? Has he ever declined a position on the team for whatever reason?

I noticed that he wasn't selected for the Davis Cup final last year either. Sebastien Grosjean, Nicolas Escude, Cedric Pioline, Fabrice Santoro, Arnaud Clement and Guillaume Raoux were part of the French team for the final. True that 5 of those 6 players were ranked higher than him, but that doesn't answer why he was overlooked when he was amongst France's highest ranked players a few years back. Strange.

·
Supposed Former , Administrator
9,536 Posts
He was injured. Otherwise he would have played for sure.

I dont think he has ever played Davis Cup, or maybe some matches when the team had already won.

·
Team WTAworld, canis sapiens sapiens
4,495 Posts
He played an important match against Krajicek in 99 :). And if I remember correctly he won in five.
I remember he was using differents racquets, one to serve and one to receive.
But he would have played a lot more if he hadn't been injured all the time, I guess.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. :) So Jerome was injured and it wasn't a conspiracy against him. :eek: Good. :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts