Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kim used to flat out own Justine and before today, had never lost to her on hard courts. They are 3-3 against each other this year, however Justine has won 3 of the last 4 matchups, that one loss coming via retirement. Are there any out there who'd say that at this point in their head-to-head that Henin-Hardenne is the better of the two?

Clijsters vs. Henin-Hardenne

2001 Indian Wells Hard (O) 32 Kim CLIJSTERS 1-6 6-4 6-3
2001 Roland Garros Clay (O) SF Kim CLIJSTERS 2-6 7-5 6-3
2001 's-Hertogenbosch Grass (O) FR Justine HENIN-HARDENNE 4-6 6-3 3-6
2002 Sydney Hard (O) QF Kim CLIJSTERS 7-6(6) 6-2
2002 Australian Open Hard (O) QF Kim CLIJSTERS 6-2 6-3
2002 Rome Clay (O) SF Justine HENIN-HARDENNE 5-7 2-6
2002 W.T.A. Tour Championships Hard (I) QF Kim CLIJSTERS 6-2 6-1
2003 Sydney Hard (O) SF Kim CLIJSTERS 6-2 6-3
2003 Antwerp Carpet (I) SF Kim CLIJSTERS 6-2 7-6(3)
2003 Berlin Clay (O) FR Justine HENIN-HARDENNE 4-6 6-4 5-7
2003 Roland Garros Clay (O) FR Justine HENIN-HARDENNE 0-6 4-6
2003 's-Hertogenbosch Grass (O) FR Kim CLIJSTERS 6-7(4) 3-0 Retired
2003 San Diego Hard (O) FR Justine HENIN-HARDENNE 3-6, 6-2, 6-3

Clijsters leads overall head-to-head series 8 to 5
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
731 Posts
Yes I think so. I predicted this would happen. Kim has the big game which came through quickly and Justine the more cerebral game which took a little longer to evolve. Kim came on the tour quickly with great success and then suddenly it wasn't enough and she is playing catch up now. Justine though has taken the steady road and is evolving slowly but steadily. Yay!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,640 Posts
It seems so :D well Justine didn't lost a final against Justine when it was finished :D so :D

Damn I'm happy :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,330 Posts
MarcusRock said:
Kim used to flat out own Justine and before today, had never lost to her on hard courts. They are 3-3 against each other this year, however Justine has won 3 of the last 4 matchups, that one loss coming via retirement. Are there any out there who'd say that at this point in their head-to-head that Henin-Hardenne is the better of the two?

Clijsters vs. Henin-Hardenne

2001 Indian Wells Hard (O) 32 Kim CLIJSTERS 1-6 6-4 6-3
2001 Roland Garros Clay (O) SF Kim CLIJSTERS 2-6 7-5 6-3
2001 's-Hertogenbosch Grass (O) FR Justine HENIN-HARDENNE 4-6 6-3 3-6
2002 Sydney Hard (O) QF Kim CLIJSTERS 7-6(6) 6-2
2002 Australian Open Hard (O) QF Kim CLIJSTERS 6-2 6-3
2002 Rome Clay (O) SF Justine HENIN-HARDENNE 5-7 2-6
2002 W.T.A. Tour Championships Hard (I) QF Kim CLIJSTERS 6-2 6-1
2003 Sydney Hard (O) SF Kim CLIJSTERS 6-2 6-3
2003 Antwerp Carpet (I) SF Kim CLIJSTERS 6-2 7-6(3)
2003 Berlin Clay (O) FR Justine HENIN-HARDENNE 4-6 6-4 5-7
2003 Roland Garros Clay (O) FR Justine HENIN-HARDENNE 0-6 4-6
2003 's-Hertogenbosch Grass (O) FR Kim CLIJSTERS 6-7(4) 3-0 Retired
2003 San Diego Hard (O) FR Justine HENIN-HARDENNE 3-6, 6-2, 6-3

Clijsters leads overall head-to-head series 8 to 5


How did they face in Antwerp when Venus beat Justine and Clijsters both??? Is that a different tournament?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,086 Posts
jbone_0307 said:
How did they face in Antwerp when Venus beat Justine and Clijsters both??? Is that a different tournament?
Kim def. Justine in the semis ;) I think Venus def. Daniela in the semis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,635 Posts
next week everything can different again. that said kim has to work on her serve.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,432 Posts
yes, Justine has really harnessed her game and improved mentally this year.

However, I don't think Kim has anywhere near peaked yet so there will be many more exciting matches to be won by both lovely Belgian ladies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts
The problem with Justine in the past against Kim was a mental affair. The SF of RG 2001 really cracked her. This year made her tough mentally (first beating Lindsay for the first time in Aussie Open, beating seles after matchpoints in Dubai)
And then she really made the mental click by beating Kim on clay in Berlin and RG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,837 Posts
:topic:
I've got a question:
I've seen the Kim-Justine h2h as either 8-6 or 8-4 in Kim's favour (not including today)
why the discrepancy? are there two matches that Justine won that some people don't count or are one of the h2h records just wrong?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,049 Posts
caelestia said:
:topic:
I've got a question:
I've seen the Kim-Justine h2h as either 8-6 or 8-4 in Kim's favour (not including today)
why the discrepancy? are there two matches that Justine won that some people don't count or are one of the h2h records just wrong?

it was 8-4 for Kim and not it's 8-5.

In one articles they said this was their 15th meeting, but I don't know what they are talking about :confused:

official WTA and GS matches is 8-5 after San Diego, I put my money on that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,274 Posts
yes it seems like she has done that but a few more matches will tell if she has surpassed her or become her equal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,475 Posts
Yeah, Pat McEnroe today said that this was their 15th career meeting and that Kim had a 8-6 edge on Justine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,274 Posts
Justine let her tennis evolve just like Venus and Serena did.

I disagree with some though as I think Justine hasn't reached her peak where as imho Kim has.

They are all 4 good, but out of them all Kim is by far the weakest Mentally of them. Justine's mentality didn't come only from that slam, she broke through by coming from behind and beating players she couldn't beat at first. AKA Lindsay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,049 Posts
Dawn Marie said:
Justine let her tennis evolve just like Venus and Serena did.

I disagree with some though as I think Justine hasn't reached her peak where as imho Kim has.

They are all 4 good, but out of them all Kim is by far the weakest Mentally of them. Justine's mentality didn't come only from that slam, she broke through by coming from behind and beating players she couldn't beat at first. AKA Lindsay.

you are absolutely right, she wouldn't have been able to win the french if she hadn't dealt with her mental problems.

And she said it herself, the one match that turned things around for her was the Davenport match at the Australian Open
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top