Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I've noticed in the last year or so is how unfrequent people use the term "******."

Just a couple of years ago, along side with "like," "whatever" and "retarded" that was one of the most used terms. We'd use ****** for everything, describing people, things, places.

Now ****** has been replaced with just homosexual. But why?
Granted homosexual is a bit more versatile, but I wonder if it has anything to do with what is going on politically with gays.

I compare this to ****** because 50 years ago, apparently, people used ****** the way they use ******/homosexual now.

Some kids still use ******, (of course never to black people, I remember once I was at a party and this kid called another one a ******, and everyone turned to me to see my reaction, I could care less as I use it a couple of times, but still thought that was interesting) but no where near the frequency they did back in the day.

Do you think the same thing is happening to fag? And if so, why?

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Could you not have said "the n-word" as opposed to using it? :rolleyes: :mad:

·
Registered
8,352 Posts
mmcdonald said:
Granted homosexual is a bit more versatile...
Well not all - some gays are still exclusively active or passive:p Besides, very few people refer to gays as "homosexuals" here, it's usually gay.

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
he is not using n-word in a conversation or describing someone. IMO it's prefectly fine to use it in a discussion like this one.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JustineTime said:
Could you not have said "the n-word" as opposed to using it? :rolleyes: :mad:
I'm not using it as an explative, I'm using it in quoations, just referring to the word itself.

Its just 6 letters, its not going to hurt you ;)

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Freewoman33 said:
There is no comparison. ****** and ****** are entirely two different words with different history, connotation and meaning.
I'm not comparing the conotation of the word, just how the words have evolved.

Like you know how

"n-word" turned into "negro" that turned into "colored" to "black" to "african-american"?

Well isn't the same trend happening with ******?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
15,168 Posts
words are but puffs of air...

·
Banned
3,823 Posts
People here on the east coast use the term "gay" way too much, like if something bad happens they'll say "that's gay", or to make fun of someone, almost everyone says "you're gay"...I personally hate it... :angel:

·
Registered
8,352 Posts
Freewoman33 said:
There is no comparison. ****** and ****** are entirely two different words with different history, connotation and meaning.
I almost agree with this statement:eek: Perhaps the similarity lies in the derogatory nature of the respective terms.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
VeNuS#1LoVa said:
People here on the east coast use the term "gay" way too much, like if something bad happens they'll say "that's gay", or to make fun of someone, almost everyone says "you're gay"...I personally hate it... :angel:
is it only on the east coast? And yes, gay is the word of choice. But its really for a lack of a better word.

·
Enjoying married life.
19,641 Posts
i cant believe the WTA world mods allow this kind of talk here.

·
Banned
1,735 Posts
esquímaux said:
words are but puffs of air...
Actually, the wrong words at the wrong time to the wrong person has gotten many people killed. :(

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
People still say ******..and some people still say ******....its just used differently now. You mostly see blacks call another black a NIGGA...but we do that because we know we are black. Some gay people call other gay people faggets too...i'm gay and i call other men faggets. I'm personally not offended if somebody gay call me a fagget or another black person call me a nigga. BUT if someone str8 or someone of another race use those NIGGA OR FAG...those are just about fighting words....and I will get heated wit u. To me it just depends on who says it and how its used.

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
"African-American" has been reduced ova the past several years to being used only in the most PC contexts. Why? Partly because its a mouthful to say! Besides, it sort of consigns those so described 2B spoken of as fairly recent immigrants (3rd or 4th generation @ most) when their families (or whatever %) were mostly here since B4 the American Revolution.

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
Jigglypuff said:
"Academic context". When F. Lee Bailey asked Mark Fuhrman that famous series of questions that all ended with the word "******", Bailey wasn't "using it himself" in reality. ;)

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
I have never considered it appropriate to use the term "******". I understand that in some dialects, it means something else entirely - cigarette? I'm obviously not talking about individuals who speak those dialects of English. Just in my own experience. I've never used either term to describe somebody. If I did, I'd ahve likely gotten whopped for it. It's just not appropriate where I'm from.... regardless of the differences between the histories of the 2 words... I'd never use either.

That doesn't really answer your question, but that is how it is where I am from ;)

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
where are you from?
Here it has to be one of the most commonly used words, by pretty much everyone.
And we're pretty liberal folk

·
Administrator
39,907 Posts
VeNuS#1LoVa said:
I hate it too..my lil sis is big on the 'You are such a Homo' and the 'That's so Gay' Fads.

It kinda hurts but I just ignore it.

·
Administrator
39,907 Posts
Jigglypuff said:
It's a honest and serious discussion puff, no one is insulting anyone here, just discussion word origins and trends.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts