Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
La Divina Assoluta
11,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After watching Elena's match against Caro, it just struck me that Elena just doesn't look the same player to me anymore. Sure, she has found (for the most part), more consistency, her serve has improved and yes her record over the last 12 months have indicated an upward surge. However when i look at Elena's game, she seems to have tempered her game to a degree that has left her IMO less of a threat to win big titles.

When i look back to 04, 05, and 06, there was something extreme about Elena. Yes her serve was wildly erratic, her temperament was frantic and her results were all over the place at times. Frailities aside, there just seemed to be a more dynamic presecence about Dementieva. She was able to inject so much pace into her shots, and contary to public belief, she was able to hit DTL with her backhand to devastating effect. Check out her match against Clijsters at Filderstadt in '05. There were some BTL's that made Kim look relatively pedestrian. More intent and aggression was the impression i got from the Dementieva of say 5 years ago. She just seemed more willing to take chances. Even though she lost in Slam finals, Tier 1 finals, her unpredictable gamestyle was much more dangerous to all those who encountered it.

Nowadays, Elena has become a solid hitter of the ball, with great sense of precision and court positioning, but does anyone feel that Elena has become a tad inhibited in her style of play to try and eradicate her obvious flaws? I merit entirely the strive to make improvements, but when i see Dementieva play, i get the sense that her game has become very static and players can read her strokes in particular, because she is unwilling to hit DTL nearly all the time now. Watching her watch against Serena at the Aussie, i was thinking 'Sure Elena of '04 would occasionally get hammered on the second serve, but her groundstrokes had much more of an edge'.

Just my thoughts, and i hope everyone can contribute to this thread. It may just be, but it'd be interesting to hear your thoughts:)

·
Banned
13,295 Posts
She can not beat pusher players and she is tired at this moment . That is all

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
49,763 Posts
Everyone has become less of a contender to the Williams' IMO

·
Registered
519 Posts
To be honest I don't think she ever was a contender

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
To be honest I don't think she ever was a contender
I would have to agree. This year would be a prime time for her to move herself into the contenders catagory, but she seems to be playing/training too often to get proper rest for the big tournaments.

·
Registered
32,261 Posts
Dementieva is ... something.
She is able to win the Gold, her biggest dream but she collapses in every important match.

·
Banned
9,786 Posts
Lena definitely was much more dangerous to top players in 2004-2005.

·
Registered
114,715 Posts
A contender? She made the semis of the last 3 majors and won the Olympic Gold.
She's either going to be #3 next week, or she'll be 4 and Dinara will be #1.
So she has to viewed as a contender in today's WTA

·
Banned
9,786 Posts
Lena's top-10 wins at Slams :

2000 USO def. Martinez
2000 USO def. Huber
2001-2003 nothing
2004 RG def. Davenport
2004 RG def. Mauresmo
2004 USO def. Zvonareva
2004 USO def. Mauresmo
2004 USO def. Capriati
2005 USO def. Davenport
2006-2009 nothing

·
Registered
114,715 Posts
She had top 10 wins at the Olympics, and Sydney this year

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
I think she's more of a threat now than she was before, solely because the bizarre first round exits (IW being an exception) are largely a thing of the past.

She's always been a dark horse due to her mental fragility, but she's gotten much better at playing up to her seeding. She still has her bad moments. I honestly think today she choked because some idiot told her she could reach her personal highest ranking ever.

This year:
W
W
SF
F
QF
1R
R16

By her Lena's 00-06 standards, that's the model of consistency.

She does drive one mad. And not always in the good way.

·
Banned
9,786 Posts
Olympics and Sydney are not Slams.

·
Registered
114,715 Posts
The top 10 doesn't mean what it used to.
She beat Nadia at Wimbledon. Nadia almost won Eastbourne and was playing top 10 level.
She beat Vera at RG and Vera was up a break in the 3rd in the Charleston final

1 - 20 of 37 Posts