Tennis Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Chionophile
40,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last three years 2001-03, there's been only 6 women who has been able to reach grand slam finals. So those 6 had filled the spots for the last 12 grand slam finals.

The six are:

Capriati
Hingis
V.Williams
S.Williams
Clijsters
Henin-Hardenne

During that time, we've had:

6 Williams/Williams finals
2 Capriati/Hingis finals
2 Clijsters/Henin-Hardenne finals
2 have been mix and match but still the same pool of players

Talk about repetitive and lack of variety! :eek:

Will we have to do endure this for a few more years? Obviously there's no more Hingis.

I mean I don't mind that they're the same players, just a little variety would be good, for example: Capriati vs. V.Williams, S.Williams vs. Clijsters, etc... Hopefully some new players break this down next year and we get some "new look" grand slam finals.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
at the moment the only young player i see that has shown she has what it takes is sharapova. there are a few other talented players but to me it just seems out of reach for them. but it still may take sharapova a couple of years.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
I would like to see Mauresmo thrown into that mix. It is weird that the pairing seems constant. jen probably needs to team up with her so they can make it a partnership. Doesn't look like we are gonna get any mixed pairing. Unless of course over the next year we get the belgians on one half and the williams one the other. If Venus is healthy and can play three more matches before the YEC, she may get the 4th ranking which gurantees opposite side of the draw with serena.
The uso just proved that the absence of the sisters did not open up the draw. The same two have been dominant without V&S.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
Interesting.....SIX all-Williams finals already?! Damn! Time flies.... all this is to blame on Wertheim. Since the day he started to take shots at the sisters, it has been all-Williams all the time!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.