·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Marcelo Rios. ;)

·
Registered
20,829 Posts
I wonder about that too;) (sorry j/k)

to be serious since you obvious haven't read this board in the last months no that never happened before in female tennis then

there is the famous marcello rios;)

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
Patty Schnyder is the female Rios!

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
But as the saying goes: There´s always a time for a first!! :lol:

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
actually a buch of players on both tours have been ranked no.1 without winning a slam in the last 52 weeks.

Recent ones that come to mind immediately are Moya and Kafelnikov for the men and Davenport and Hingis for the women...
there are probably many many more though.

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
caelestia said:
actually a buch of players on both tours have been ranked no.1 without winning a slam in the last 52 weeks.

Recent ones that come to mind immediately are Moya and Kafelnikov for the men and Davenport and Hingis for the women...
there are probably many many more though.
That wasn't the question though.

All of the people that were #1 had actually won a slam perviously. Kim is the first to become #1 without ever have won a slam, at least for the women. Pam and Mary Joe also said that in today's match.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Well lets talk positively about this. Everyone seems down on Kim for being No 1 without a GS and everyone talks about quantity not quality.

To that I say "bollocks"!

Just goes to show that its a combination of quality and quantity. Whats wrong with that? Look at her record this year - its awesome. Shes played quality tennis all year without getting injured (and how many others in the top six have done that) and had performed magnificently in every tourmament.

Lets just face facts and cut all the "if" crap. She deserves this spot (for now at least).

Time will tell if Kim has the ability to sustain her position. Let her enjoy the moment for now all your critics!

You can all eat sour grapes, Im celebrating with a few tinnies of stella artois! (and Im no even Belgian!).

·
Registered
15,432 Posts
Marcelo Rios was number 1 w/out winning a grand
slam. I also do believe that Thomas Muster became
number 1 w/out the grand slam too; if I'm not
mistaken.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Greenout said:
Marcelo Rios was number 1 w/out winning a grand
slam. I also do believe that Thomas Muster became
number 1 w/out the grand slam too; if I'm not
mistaken.

:wavey: Yes I'm pretty sure about Muster as well...I remember a quote from either Sampras or Agassi saying he plays his whole year on clay and hasn't won a slam....not completely sure if that was career to that time, or for that year only. :wavey:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.