Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Harlow and Nemayeva Confirm Split

Bianka Harlow confirmed today that her doubles partnership with Anastasia Nemayeva will not continue into 2021. "It's not a bad break up or anything. We truly love each other. I mean, she's still one of my best friends on tour. We've just decided to go our own ways next year."

The duo has been one of the most consistent staples of women's doubles tennis on the FWTT tour over the past three years as we've seen dramatic breakups of some of the top teams, including Graf/Hingisafrilia, Casanova/Taliamanosoko, and Frost/Saikikibondwe. The pair, that started playing together in 2018 have been successful partners for the past three years, winning 20 championships and reaching a high ranking of #3 but never achieving that grand slam doubles title, despite two finals and a semi-final in 2019.

Speculation has started circulating through the locker rooms and theories have been posted on Reddit but Harlow denies there's any bad blood. "Whenever a team breaks up, people want to make it juicy. This isn't juicy. We just think it's best for both of us at the time being."

Our representatives had not yet heard from Nemayeva but Harlow has denied any definite plans for 2021 including potential partnerships. "I'm not even thinking about it right now. I've had a great season and are looking forward to getting a little rest. We'll see where 2021 takes me."

·
Registered
29,527 Posts
"She's such a lovely person and wonderful player." - started Nemayeva.

For all the success that Nemayeva has had with Harlow, her ambitions aren’t the same. Nemayeva's “big goal” for doubles include winning her first doubles Grand Slam. They played two finals together in 2019, losing both to Graf/Hingisafrilia.

"She has been definitely prioritizing her singles game this year, especially on Grand Slams. It worked well and I'm really happy for her. But, at this point, I need someone fully commited" - said Nemayeva. "I have some names in mind but I didn't talk with anyone about it. I need some rest".

·
63,540 Posts
I saw that coming after these interviews (in Beijing, I think) asking who would you like to play with in doubles 😉 It was very telling. Haha.

Would be interested to know who will they play with next season!

Reactions: Nikarock

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

“To be honest, she’s not wrong. I was very focused on singles this year, as I am every year. I was also focused on doubles but ultimately think she deserves the best, and she may have been more focused than me. I get it. She wants to be with someone who is committed in doubles and I respect that.

I know a lot of the focus is on my game but it’s clear that her singles game also improved during our partnership so there’s that. I’m proud of her but also want to name that it’s not just like I’m leaving her in the dust. She wants and deserves more.”

·
Registered
19,063 Posts
Rumours say that one will partner Ruflina in 2021. ;)

·
Registered
24,551 Posts
Rumours say that one will partner Ruflina in 2021. ;)
How do you know these things? 😭

Is there a special veterans chat that ya'll are a part of ? 😭

1 - 13 of 13 Posts