Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 471 Posts

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good News: Maria is the defending champion :bigclap:
Bad News: Maria will probably have to win the tournament for any chance to break back into the top 50 :sad:

·
Registered
29,119 Posts
Final thing Maria has to defend.. if she can go deep in the following tournaments does she have a chance to break back into the top 50? Anyways even if she ends the year poorly, next season she can pick up a shit load of points :lol:

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Final thing Maria has to defend.. if she can go deep in the following tournaments does she have a chance to break back into the top 50? Anyways even if she ends the year poorly, next season she can pick up a shit load of points :lol:
Yes, though we thought that last year. Still I think players always do a bit better when they have a title/points to defend.

·
Registered
29,119 Posts
Yes, though we thought that last year. Still I think players always do a bit better when they have a title/points to defend.
Yep but this year she didn't win a match till March..and then we learned of her bad lead up to the new season. I don't think she could ever start a year so bad again.

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TBE ranking thread has Maria at #53 after the US Open.

Not including Seoul Post USO Maria went 2-5 in 08. I think a Seoul SF or Final at least will be needed to end the year in the top 50.

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Maria won't be top 50 if she doesn't win Seoul.

If you only count this year results, Maria is 60th. 193 points behind 50th Kanepi.
Good for next year is that Maria won only 1 match in the first 4 mandatory tournaments in 2009.
If you don't count New Haven, then Birmingham was the last tournament where she lost to a lower ranked player.

Wins over:
Kvitova 2x, Buryachok, Pavlyuchenkova, Chakvetadze, Scheepers, Shvedova, Radwanska, Koryttseva.

If she continues this, she easily will be top 50 again.

·
Registered
29,119 Posts
Whats the field like here then? How are her chances at defending? I don't really care if she ends the year in the top 50 or not.. she'd been out of it for a while and next year for sure she will be back.

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whats the field like here then? How are her chances at defending? I don't really care if she ends the year in the top 50 or not.. she'd been out of it for a while and next year for sure she will be back.
The Entry list http://www.hansolopen.com/ go here then click the player link at the top

Some half decent players and Maria won't be seeded

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

If you only count this year results, Maria is 60th. 193 points behind 50th Kanepi.
Good for next year is that Maria won only 1 match in the first 4 mandatory tournaments in 2009.
If you don't count New Haven, then Birmingham was the last tournament where she lost to a lower ranked player.

Wins over:
Kvitova 2x, Buryachok, Pavlyuchenkova, Chakvetadze, Scheepers, Shvedova, Radwanska, Koryttseva.

Not really impressive :unsure: I mean since when is beating Scheepers a good win?

·
Registered
29,119 Posts
Not really impressive :unsure: I mean since when is beating Scheepers a good win?
Well I don't think that's exactly how he meant it, just wins over those players and no bad losses. Lets not forget all the missed chances against higher ranked players. So yes its just a matter of time before Maria will be back in the top 50.

·
Registered
29,119 Posts
Tough field but Maria playing like she did against Radwanska.. she can still go far here. :)

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As long as she doesn't draw Kleybanova or Groenefeld first round a.k.a power hitters. I'm fine.

:topic: Did Serbotnik play the USO? I can't remember seeing her name anywhere for a long time

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Wins over:

I think I did misunderstood this post.

Hopefully we will have better wins to talk about than those ones.

·
Registered
29,119 Posts
I'm sure it will be just a matter of time. Those wins aren't too bad though almost double bageled Kvitova a few weeks ago in qualies and she went on to take out Dinara at the USO and Shvedova who took out Jankovic. And she's been kinda unlucky finding form only to run into an inform player. USO she played great but then she runs into a red hot Na Li who of course didn't make any errors as she usually would. :lol: There might not be anything to be ecstatic about there but plenty to be optimistic about. :)

And this win.. is something to be very happy about. :D

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
I think I did misunderstood this post.

Hopefully we will have better wins to talk about than those ones.
With my post I meant, she isn't losing anymore to these players. Radwanska was a nice win and she didn't had a problem with Kvitova, Shvedova and Pavlyuchenkova at all. Really nice scores.

In the past Maria had many bad losses.
Earlier this year she lost to Gallovits, Vinci, Domachowska, Makarova, Errani and Rogowska. She would beat them now and it's also time to beat Errani.

Last year so also lost to Zakopalova, Niculescu, Yan, Dubois, Errani, Dushevina.

If we don't count the retired in New Haven, her losses since Eastbourne were:

Dementieva 2x, Wozniacki 2x, Stosur, Jankovic, Pennetta and Li.
Especially in Bastad and Cincinnati she had her chances.

So I really have a reason to be positive.

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DAVAJ MKirilenko I got what you were saying.

The last 4 months Maria isn't losing to players ranked around the same ranking as her. Which proves she should be ranked at least top 50.

Just needs to get a few 3rd or 4th round wins against higher`ranked opponents which she is getting closer to achieving.

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
DAVAJ MKirilenko I got what you were saying.

The last 4 months Maria isn't losing to players ranked around the same ranking as her. Which proves she should be ranked at least top 50.

Just needs to get a few 3rd or 4th round wins against higher`ranked opponents which she is getting closer to achieving.
Yes, but mostly she is unlucky with the draws. Stosur was in great form that time and Li was playing well too. The others were all top 10.
There are many players I like her to draw between rank 15 and 50.
Maria has a great record in Seoul so hopefully she will keep it this way.

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
For what it's worth the player Maria beat in last years final Sam Stosur has withdrawn from Seoul. Also Wickmayer and Errani have withdrawn.

Back to my trip.

I'm out till after the weekend :banana:

1 - 20 of 471 Posts