Tennis Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34,197 Posts
Um this news was announced about three weeks ago…

·
Registered
115,521 Posts
Halep was one of those players who was screwed over by the rain delays 2 years ago
You need a dry week of firm turf

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
The news is a couple of weeks old I think.

And I'm not sure why singling out Serena...? Of all top players out there, she's the last one I would expect to see now in a warm-up grass tournament.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
And I'm not sure why singling out Serena...? Of all top players out there, she's the last one I would expect to see now in a warm-up grass tournament.
Serena talked after her French Open loss that she was considering possibly taking a WC to a grass warm up. I'll be surprised if she plays here though.

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Serena talked after her French Open loss that she was considering possibly taking a WC to a grass warm up. I'll be surprised if she plays here though.
Forgot about that... but yeah, I'll be surprised to see her actually playing. :)

·
Registered
87,437 Posts
PM said Serena will not play before Wimbledon..and where is the boost from an anti grass player like Halep to use a wasted WC?

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
These Top 10 WC's are always a waste before a major. They want a few matches at most, and know not to wear themselves out before the major starts.

·
Registered
That Woman
4,587 Posts
I don't get why not just Birmingham (both are Premiers or not?), because here you basically have to tank in the 3rd round.
I think the late wildcards are somewhat limited depending on ranking, so it might not have been possible to get a late entry to Birmingham.

And if you are a player who typically goes deep at the French, especially a player with a very physical game and/or strain-prone body, two weeks off might seem appropriate.

Honestly, the grass season is still too short, and the reconfiguration seems to have inadvertently made Birmingham a virtual P5 tournament (much like Stuttgart for clay) while consigning Eastbourne to middle-of-the-road Premier (much like Charleston). It'll never be so weak as to be questionable as a Premier, but neither is it getting truly elite fields anymore.

·
Registered
703 Posts
These Top 10 WC's are always a waste before a major. They want a few matches at most, and know not to wear themselves out before the major starts.
Grass court tennis is different, less taxing. Unless you do a Isner-Mahut or Isner-Kando and are a toast for the next match. No such problems in best-of-three for ladies. Obviously pushers and clay courters will still find a way to play 30-shot rallies even on grass :SNE:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts