Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
There was something about 1986. Evert seemed to lead the pack in hairdos that seemed to go horribly wrong.

Manuela Maleeva, who had been previously attempting the "1983 Olivia Newton John/Chrissie" look, got herself a horrible perm, which just reaffirmed her perennial role as a poor man's Chris Evert (East European version).

Pam Shriver tried to combine her Afro curls with a mullet look at the back... horrible, horrible, horrible.

However, if you were a hairdresser on the woman's circuit or had shares in hairspray in 1986, you were quids in...

·
25,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was something about 1986. Evert seemed to lead the pack in hairdos that seemed to go horribly wrong.

Manuela Maleeva, who had been previously attempting the "1983 Olivia Newton John/Chrissie" look, got herself a horrible perm, which just reaffirmed her perennial role as a poor man's Chris Evert (East European version).
:lol:

Perhaps we should have a "worst hair year" competition.

You had me rolling with the Maleeva comment as a "poor man's Chris Evert."
Her makeup routine was tough too-as she crried so often it ruined her maascara!

Evert's hair under a blender too long look from 1986

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I thought Steffi was blessed with a thick head of horribleness until she final grew out all the layers and ditched the perms in 1990. Suddenly she had beautiful thick soft flattering hair. I swear who ever her hair ‘stylist’ was 1984-1988 grew up in the Florida pan handle!
Teehee...

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I nominate Martina Navratilova as The Worst Hairstyle of All-Time, career category. Her 1984 makeover not only got worse and worse, but it lasted and lasted and lasted. It made her 1976 Great Wide Hope perm look positively quaint. She looked so wonderful in 1981, with her dark hair longer, the cute red bandana - a very natural, surprisingly sexy look for her. Then at the end of that summer she subtly added natural reddish highlights, cut her bangs so they were still long and flattering and began the pony tail period, which was her best look ever. She looked feminine and naturally pretty. Then a seemingly sapphic cut rate Loni Anderson took over as stylist and that was that. Box set career hair grand slam wrapped in old straw and mullets.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
The PamFro was très horribles- but at least it was real and her natural color. I think we all felt a collective sense of sympathy for her because it seemed like the poor teen was simply born with it. How does she have silky straight locks now, a full 40 years later?
It’s a mystery that I wish she would’ve solved in early 1978!

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Psssst....I have a sneaking suspicion that Kathy Rinaldi-Stunko is somehow secretly involved with dreaded Judy Nelson these days?

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
On the plus side, I nominated Amelie Mauresmo for best career hair. She’s always had flowing natural locks with a subtle hint of color. I know this is un-pc, but is she the only fabulous sapphic player that NEVER went through a mullet phase*? Or even a bad phase? I never understood Davenport nor Hingis’s comments. Amelie always looked gorgeous to me.

*even straight housefrau Valene Ewing got a straw mullet in 1987, and at the EXACT same time as Hall of HairFamer Martina!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Steffi liked her hounds. Perhaps it was this (rather than copying Evert) that led to the "shaggy dog" hairdo.
I think it was more a West German thing. Claudia Kohde-Kilsch also had a very droopy dog-like hairstyle.

Helena Sukova went through a variety of styles. Her best was when she was combining the straight natural look with a red bandana a la Navratilova 1980/81. Her worst was her mullett.

I know everyone loves Evert's 1983 look, but sometimes her hair looked a complete mess, as if she was wearing a poodle on her head. Evonne Cawley was also guilty of the "dragged through a hedge backwards" hairdo look at times (although everyone forgave her, because she was Evonne).

Andrea Jaegar had an unflattering perm at one point.

And here's a bonus pic of Darling Carling tapping Tina Turner... just for you, Pam!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I have that photo of Carling taped to the ceiling above my bed...just so I always remember my good friend, Carling...yeah, that's right...to 'remember' her...

I always wore my own hair wild, natural and free, mainly to let the dudes know what was going on...'downtown'. It was the '80s, BUSH was everywhere!

Also, is that true about Kathy Rinaldi and Judy Nelso? I notice Kathy doesn't go by her married name anymore, 'Stunkel', I wonder if she's decided to dip a toe in the ladypond like so many women of a certain age do. She's got her hands (and her mouth!) full with Judy, she's a livewire that one. She'll have Kathy on the court in fringe and rhinestones before you know it.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Wow, Bonnie was the tackiest! Hilarious. And I had no idea Chris did the Deep Fried Perm in 1983! I thought it didn’t start for a few months later, but this was the period where I started to lose interest. Hana seemed like she would never recover from injuries or boredom, Evonne, BJK and Virg were long gone, Tracy too, and then Andrea was lost in space.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I agree that 1983 was a nadir in women's tennis... and not just in hairstyles!

You had Martina's early loss at Roland Garros and then Chris going out to Jordan at Wimbledon, making for a horrible summer of completely lop-sided finals. Jaegar and Jausovic were like lambs to the slaughter against Martina and Chris on, respectively, grass and clay.

Chris couldn't do a thing against Martina and was clinging to her wooden racket (amazingly, she almost completed a grand slam that year, she was 3/4 of the way there until Wimbledon).

Hana was missing in action and the best hope of taking out Martina was Jo Durie!

Perhaps that was why there was so much focus on the likes of Darling Carling or Temesvari the Tower of Topspin? There was precious little happening on the courts...

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
It’s so true. One of the worst, least interesting years for me ever. It was so blah. I really enjoyed all of Martina’s wins over Evert until that year. Even in 82, when Martina became so dominant and Chris had some really strange losses to Andrea, I felt Chris could come back at any moment and chrush Martina, since she had killed her just a year before, love and love atAmelia Island. But in 1983, Chris was suddenly the fragile uncomfident player. Without Hana, Tracy or even boring Andrea to put up a fight, it was a dreary two woman race that quickly became The Martina Show. And Chris wasn’t always the designated finalist either. I mean who really wanted to watch a Bonnie gadusek clay match in 1983? But 1984 started off with a bang, the best match I’ve ever seen in person - Hana brilliantly beating Martina in Oakland.... and finally getting a win over Chris for the first time since 1981 (for both!) and it seemed like At least there was some possibility of change/excitement. Plus Chris seemed like she was closing the gap. Of course, Hana still had her shiny gorgeous long locks and cute bandana, while Chris and Martina were nearing their worst hair disasters ever. But at least the tennis was fun!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts