Tennis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because of (very silly) differences with German tennis federation DTB.

So Germany has Schüttler now and Kiefer :eek: or Prinosil :eek::eek:.
Doubles: ??? :eek:

Result: 5-0 Croatia :eek:

·
Premium Member
181,846 Posts
that really sucks for you guys

Kiefer in DC :eek:

·
Banned
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not too bad for me, as I am neither a Haas- nor a Kiefer-fan. :)
This time no one will expect anything for Kiefer, so who knows ?
In doubles I really have no idea who will be playing. :confused:

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
BERLIN (Reuters) -- World number four Tommy Haas withdrew from Germany's Davis Cup team on Friday a week before their match against Croatia, blaming a dispute with team officials.

Haas, who reached the semifinals of the Australian Open last month, sent a 12-line fax from his home in Florida to the German Tennis Federation (DTB) saying that he was not in the right frame of mind to play because of a public row he had with the DTB.

DTB President Georg von Waldenfels had rejected Haas's request that the DTB share the 100,000 euros ($86,360) cost for a physiotherapist.

In the fax, Haas said that he had told Germany's Davis Cup captain Michael Stich before Christmas that he would play against Croatia.

"But since then so many things about me have been brought out into the public that it makes it burdensome for me to be in the same environment with the DTB," the German number one wrote.

"I know that my game, both mentally and physically, would suffer in such a situation and that's why I see myself forced to cancel my participation in the match against Croatia."

Last September Haas threatened not to play Davis Cup this year because he wanted to concentrate on his own career but then changed his mind

Stich said he was surprised by Haas's decision.

"The cancellation is disappointing for me and German tennis because we would certainly have been a stronger team with him," Stich said. "Our chances are nevertheless still quite good."

Waldenfels said he was sad that money had played a larger role than patriotism.

"Everyone involved in German tennis have extraordinary regrets about this cancellation," he said.

"I cannot understand this at all. It's a sad situation when a few marks play such a role. If it is an honor to play for Germany, money should not be the decisive factor."

Stich said he did not know yet who he would nominate to replace Haas. He has already named Rainer Schuettler, Nicolas Kiefer and David Prinosil to the team.

"We still have four days," Stich said.

That is rreally a SILLY difference....
I'm very disappointed with Haas' behaviour... :(

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
That's what happens when you think you are too good to play...........:rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now captain Michael Stich has nominated Alexander Popp.
And it seems possible that HE will play the 2nd singles match. :eek:
Wouldn't be a bad choice, he has just won the challenger in Heilbronn (where Kiefer lost in the first round).
Although I might have voted for Karsten Braasch ... ;)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Great! I'm rather bored of Haas...

And how come he doesn't just wear a sleeve-less shirt?!?!? He's always pushing the sleeves up and it always looks like the shirt doesn't fit!

·
Banned
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And another change: Alexander Popp is injured now and can't play. Michael Stich has nominated Michael Kohlmann. :eek:

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Kohlmann?!?! Are you serious?!?!:eek: WOW The German Davis Cup team seems to always have bad luck....when Nicolas was doing really good he didn't want to play Davis Cup and now the same thing with Tommy!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
32,314 Posts
hehehehehehe....everything is going just the way I want it

i mean Oh no! I realy wanted to stay up all night biting my nails and waiting for results to come in!

hehehehehe...hrvatska je najbolja!

now i just have to make sure to make Hewitt sick one week before the aussies take on Croatia ;)

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I can't believe Haas will do this...

Independence Day: Haas Considers Pledging Allegiance To U.S. Davis Cup Team

Tommy Haas By Richard Pagliaro
02/08/2002

Independence Day may arrive early for Germany's Tommy Haas, who is considering pledging allegiance to the United States Davis Cup team. Haas withdrew from the Germany's Davis Cup tie against Croatia last week following a dispute with the German Tennis Federation, which declined to split the cost of his trainer's salary.

The fifth-ranked Haas holds dual citizenship in Germany and the United States. He was born in Hamburg, Germany, but moved to Bradenton, Florida as a teenager. He graduated from high school in Bradenton where he still lives. In an interview with the German magazine Bunte, the Australian Open semifinalist said he is tired of the treatment he has received from the German Tennis Federation (DTB) and is considering representing the United States in Davis Cup.

"If the DTB won't make a reasonable offer soon, I will play for the U.S. team," Haas told the magazine.

The 23-year-old Haas has been critical of the DTB for what he claims is a lack of financial support. Days after promising German Davis Cup captain Michael Stich he would play for the team, Haas faxed a 12-line letter to the DTB from his Florida home saying his recent dispute with the Federation prevented him from playing. Haas ripped the Federation for refusing to split the cost of his trainer's salary with him.

"I have to pay for my physio (trainer) myself," said Haas in an interview with the German daily Die Welt. "The DTB is apparently not able to support its top player. Where the federation's money goes is a mystery."

German Tennis Federation president Georg von Waldenfels said patriotism should take priority over payment.

"Everyone involved in German tennis have extraordinary regrets about this cancellation," von Waldenfels said. "I cannot understand this at all. It's a sad situation when a few marks play such a role. If it is an honor to play for Germany, money should not be the decisive factor."

Stich, who is making his debut as German captain, said he was surprised and disappointed by Haas's withdrawal.

"I am very disappointed," Stich said. "Tommy is a world-class player and a few days before, he promised me he would play. But he will be turned into a scapegoat. I actually feel sorry for him."

The potential addition of Haas to the existing U.S. squad led by Pete Sampras and Andy Roddick would make the Americans a strong favorite in Davis Cup

If he does that, he can forget about playing in Germany ever again.

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
OMG! I really hope he doesn't!:rolleyes: :eek: :fiery:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts