Tennis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK i know it's only a sport but I feel so pissed off right now knowing that Mirjana Lucic has lost to the world #468 in a 10K event. It's so disappointing to wait for her to play for so long only to see what was supposed to be her fresh start go wrong. Even worse was the news she was in tears on court at the end. I just hope this huge talent can get it together and get out there competing in the world's top arenas where she should be. I've met her and she's such a nice girl that she deserves some good luck.:(

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
I believe she has the same problem as ALex Stevenson.. just not fit enough and needs to stay consistant and work a point. I have always liked Mirjana and I think she can and will come back.. I mean she hits so hard! She has the game but needs (I think confidence). Also she could get those emotionas in check somewhat. The fact that she was crying is a little upsetting. Anyhow I think Mirjana will get her form back it is just gonna take one match at a time. She will do it.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
It's just hard to believe that Lucic is struggling so much. I can still remember her pounding Steffi Graf in the 1999 Wimbledon semifinals. Mirjana lost a close three set match to Steffi. But she took enough out of Steffi, for Lindsay Davenport to have a somewhat easy final against Graf. I think alot of her struggles are mental. What, is she still only 19? So, there is time for her to become a good player again.

Dawn Marie, what happened to that very entertaining thread about Alexandra Stevenson's tennis outfit? I posted on that thread yesterday. Now I can't find it. Do you know what happened to that thread?

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I think Mirjana has been through a lot for someone of her age. I read in tennis magazine that she and her family left Croatia because her father was so abusive. After they left, Mirjana became her family's financial breadwinner and that, plus the expectations of the media and tennis community, may have been too much for her. I remember that Wimbledon 99 vividly and she looked so healthy and happy and had the support of a lot of players there. I really thought she was on her way back, but it was not to be. I saw her play @ the French Open this summer and while she lost to Capriati, it was great to see her on the court again, which is something that Chris Evert echoed in her commentary.

If she was crying, then that is indicative of someone who is asking for help. I heard last year that Howard Soloman was working with Mirjana, but I never heard a confirmation of that rumor. I think support, someone to push Mirjana and believe in her, will be vital to her comeback in the tennisworld. This is a player who has won titles, made the semifinals of a grand slam, won a grand slam doubles title. Mirjana herself should know that she has the goods; now she just needs to believe it.

BTW Cat, the Alex Stevenson threads were removed by the topics starter for his own personal reasons.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
1,793 Posts
Yes, it's sad. I remember when she defeated Monica on center court Wimbledon. It was a great display! Like apoet29 said it was nice to see her on tv again at RG2001.

She has talent imo, just hope she can get it all together. She's still young. Good luck to her.

·
Registered
32,314 Posts
I remember watching Mirjana win her first ever challenger (in Makarska) and she was already very impressive then. I saw both of her final wins at Bol as well as her win over Mary Pierce en route to her Rome semi and almost all of her Wimbledon matches. She probably has one of the greatest potentials ever in the sport of tennis and it is a shame that she went from being known as the youngest player ever to win the Australian Open (15 yrs. 11 months) to hardly ever being mentioned. I really hope she can make a comeback.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Maybe Mirjana should try training at Nick Bollettieri's. He specializes in getting players to believe they are better than they are. And Bollettieri's girls have very high self esteem. And Mirjana obviously has very low self esteem. It's worth a try.

·
Premium Member
21,310 Posts
oh no! Poor Mirjana! This is terrible news for Mirjana and all her fans :(

We all know how limitless this girls potential is...Ive said it once and I'll say it again, on her day she can smack anyone off the court. I really hope she can get it together, because she's just awesome to watch and seeing her lose these matches is heartbreaking.

This is a real shame :sad:. I hope one day she can get her career back on track. She is only 19, time is still on her side.

·
Registered
32,314 Posts
Mirjana should really talk to some of her best friends on tour (hingis, capriati, majoli, etc.) because they have all had ups and downs and could really give her some advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts