Tennis Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If memory serves, the top 16 are automatcially Gold Exempt. I thin to be picked as one of the four 'discretionary' picks, you have to be top fifty. (I may be wrong about this.)

01 Kim Clijsters
02 Justine Henin-Hardenne
03 Serena Williams
04 Lindsay Davenport
05 Jennifer Capriati
06 Venus Williams
07 Amelie Mauresmo
08 Anastasia Myskina
09 Elena Dementieva
10 Chanda Rubin
11 Magdalena Maleeva
12 Ai Sugiyama
13 Conchita Martinez
14 Daniela Hantuchova
15 Nadia Petrova
16 Vera Zvonareva

Conchi's Gold Exempt. Jelena's not. Go figure.

I THINK the four other picks will be (this is a prediction. NOT a statement on who's deserving. I'm sure they'd take Sharapova in a hearbeat.)

21 Jelena Dokic
33 Alexandra Stevenson (She's been Gold Exempt ever since that Wimbledon.)
37 Monica Seles
50 Ashley Harkleroad

I'd LIKE to see Paola Suarez and Emelie Loit in Stevenson and Harkleroad's spots, but I don't see that happening.

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
it really would be ridiculous if stevenson got it again after another season of proving herself not worthy of it. i agree that somebody like loit would be an interesting move, and i think it would be good to have someone with a such a distinctive game always around to push the top players early. having said that if you pick her it is hard to look past a player like patty and others ranked higher than her. i don't really think suarez has too much to her game which would warrant a wild-card, but she probably is good enough to be on the list.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I agree with your picks, although I think Anna and Mary MIGHT be eligible bc they have finished in a year end top 10 before. I'm not 100% sure of the rules, can someone clarify. If that's the case, they would probably take Stevenson and Harkleroad's places.

·
Banned
3,593 Posts
Volcana said:
I THINK the four other picks will be (this is a prediction. NOT a statement on who's deserving. I'm sure they'd take Sharapova in a hearbeat.)

21 Jelena Dokic
33 Alexandra Stevenson (She's been Gold Exempt ever since that Wimbledon.
37 Monica Seles
50 Ashley Harkleroad

I'd LIKE to see Paola Suarez and Emelie Loit in Stevenson and Harkleroad's spots, but I don't see that happening.
Maria Sharapova is not allowed to recieve a Gold/Silver Exempt card with or without a wildcard since she is not 17 yrs old yet. You have to be 17 yrs old in order to get a gold/silver exempt.

·
Registered
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Godl Exempt list is a list of players.

Players on the list are required to commit to a specific number and level of tournaments.

A gold exempt player appearing between 1-13 on the list will be accepted into the main draw of any tournament entered by the entry deadline if her singles ranking is 35 or better.

I'm looking for my WTA rulebook for more specifics.

·
Registered
557 Posts
according to the WTA rule book players who are ranked in the top 50 OR must have been ranked in the top 10 in prior year-end singles rankings OR has won a singles grand slam tournament would make the player eligible for the list...

i would think that top 10 part would make kournikovapart of the gold exempt list once again...

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
My picks are Jelena Dokic, Monica Seles, Anna Kournikova and Mary Pierce, if the new rules are correct. If not, cross out Anna and Mary, and replace them with Ashley Harkleroad and Patty Schnyder. Others in the running for Ashley and Patty's places could be Meghann Shaughnessy, Eleni Daniilidou, Amanda Coetzer, Alicia Molik, Paola Suarez, Lina Krasnoroutskaya, Tamarine Tanasugarn, Francesca Schiavone and Silvia Farina Elia.

·
Premium Member
172,296 Posts
Sharky....... You can be a Gold Exempt player at 16 yrs of age. Maria will be 17 in April so the below counts but she won't qualify cos of her rank.

NOTE: Although qualified by Ranking, a player may not be named a Gold Exempt player until the year of her seventeenth (17) birthday.

Mary Pierce qualifies as well.

NOTE: A player must be ranked in the Top 50 of the WTA Singles Rankings immediately following the previous year’s US Open; or must have been ranked in the Top 10 WTA Singles Rankings in prior year-end rankings; or must have won a singles Grand Slam Tournament in order to be considered for Gold Exempt status for the following year.
The Worldwide Tournament Directors list the 20 players in preferred order and must submit the final Gold Exempt list to the WTA Tour’s Tour Operations (Tour Operations) office no later than one (1) week after the conclusion of the previous year’s US Open.

·
Registered
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
spec7er said:
according to the WTA rule book players who are ranked in the top 50 OR must have been ranked in the top 10 in prior year-end singles rankings OR has won a singles grand slam tournament would make the player eligible for the list...

i would think that top 10 part would make kournikovapart of the gold exempt list once again...
That depens on what "prior year-end singles rankings" means.

I always thought that meant THE 'prior year', not ANY 'prior year.

Anna K wasn't top ten at the end of 2002.

But if I was organizing a tournament, I'd want ther rule changed to whatever I neede to get Anna to play. She puts fannies in the seats.

·
Premium Member
172,296 Posts
Volcana said:
But if I was organizing a tournament, I'd want ther rule changed to whatever I neede to get Anna to play. She puts fannies in the seats.
i thought only females had fannies :tape:

must be only men on other side of the big pond who had this then :devil: :devil:

·
Don't mess with Texas!
4,900 Posts
Volcana said:

Anna K was top ten at the end of 2002.

Huh, no she wasn't.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Volcana said:

Anna K was top ten at the end of 2002.

I thought Anna was top ten at the end of 2000 and the beginning of 2001, but I don't think she was top ten at the end of 2002. She had a terrible slump that year. I could be wrong about the dates though.

I always thought prior year end singles rankings meant the previous year not the previous years. If that is the case, then Anna will not qualify. However, she has an injury protected ranking and any tournament director worth his/her salt will give her a wildcard anyway.

·
Registered
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jarrett said:
Huh, no she wasn't.
I know. That was a typo. since corrected.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.