Tennis Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
Guangzhou Qualifying Day 1

I arrived at the Olympic Tennis Center in Guangzhou at about 10:45. I had to say, this place is not easy to find like the previous venue at Tianhe. You had to walk for about 20 minutes from the nearest subway station and the signs are not very clear at where you should go.

Also, because of the venue change, now we are very far away from the players... so all my photos are quite blurry since I only brought an iphone :eek:h: I was not expecting to be this far cause I wanted to see only the matches on Court #2 (except Rodionova), but guess what happened...?

First the funny thing is that there are no maps or oop of the day. You have to rely everything that's on your phone. The girls at the counter are clueless and speak limited English and didn't tell you there's only one official exit (and tell you if you leave the venue, you need to pick up the stub or you cannot re-enter).

Second, once you enter the venue, there's no place to eat or drink. No one sells food and not even water is sold! The closest place where you can fetch water is by participating in a registration booth and that place is outside the venue nearby the ticket counter! If you want something to eat, then you need to walk all the way back to the exit by the subway station!

Third, there are no signs of where anything is, and not everywhere is blocked. Thus if you accidentally enter a sterile area or exit the venue, you are out of luck! Good thing today is a free day, or otherwise I would be spending more $ to re-enter.

Anyway... the first match I saw was Zhang Kai-Lin v. Oksana Kalashnikova.

This is the Center Court.

The capacity is much bigger now than the original one in Tianhe, but the location is much further. At Tianhe, you can literally enter the venue within 3 minute walk out of the subway exit, and there are food to fetch around the location.

Today is the only day that's free.

Then the cheapest you can get is online free ticket by fighting for it as a student or pay CNY 30 for the first few days. I chose to come today cause I have to work weekdays and I ain't paying for Qualifying matches.

Zhang Kai-Lin serving.

Oksana Kalashinikova returning.

Sorry about the photos being blurry, I was not expecting the spectators to be this far from the players after previous Tianhe visits.

2 minute break time.

She was not playing well, spraying lot of unforced errors into the net.

Zhang Kai-Lin played not bad, Oksana was quite a disappointment at times.

The match finished shortly after but since there were no maps (and first time here) I then asked the personnel working there where is Court #2. She told me it's out the door that way so I walked over there, not knowing I actually was not able to do so (no security, nothing).

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
Next up is Petra Martic v. Anna Morgina.

Anyway, I walked towards Court #2, no one stopped me, no security lines anywhere. I inquired the linesman if I can spectate... she said come in fast cause the match is about to start.

Petra Martic serving.

Anna Morgina serving.

Change time... and I was the only spectator sitting in the stand (not counting coaches) :eek:h:

Martic played pretty well the first set, Morgina foot faulted like two or three times?

During the first set break time, I switched and looked back at Court #3 where BFCD Duan Ying Ying is practicing next door with...

Zhang Shuai :eek:h:

They were practicing w/one Taiwanese and two Chinese coach or trainer in the court. I heard lots of gossip but I will not go deep into what they said in the practice court... though I think it's kind of funny that the time they spent on chatting was about 2/3 of the court time usage... only 1/3 of the time is practicing.

Petra had some hiccup in the second set but still closed Anna in ease.

After this match is over, I went out (cause it's too hot) and waited for the next match in Court #2 (Kontaveit v. Eto) in the shades. Then an officer came up to me and asked me if I had badges. I told him: "No, I only have tickets." Then he kicked me out of the venue cause I was not allowed to be in that area. I cannot even re-enter Center Court from the way I came back. I had to leave immediately.

Therefore, there are no close up pictures for Anett :lol: Sorry to disappoint.

·
Registered
37,300 Posts
So it was illegal to spectate these matches :spit: What the fuck :sobbing: No Nettu-GOAT :sad: What was the gossip :eek:h:

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
...so, after I was exiled from Court #2, I circled around and walked back to the entrance.

I was then told I need to have the stub to re-enter. I was like... it's free today, so you want me to waste another ticket stub just so I can re-enter again? Plus it's not like I want to leave the ground, I was forced to :lol:

After some word exchanges, I re-entered the venue and went to Court #1 and watched for three games.

This was between Wang Dan Ni v. Liu Fangzhou, the match quality was not good because Wang plays like a club player.

I then went to see Anett Kontaveit v. Naoko Eto.
The number of spectators in Center Court is about ~150. The number of spectators in Court #1 is about ~100.

So we get a blue bleacher stand but no one is allowed to sit there except camera man and coaches :eek:h:

BFCD finished practice. Guess how long she practiced? :lol:

Remember I said Wang was not good? ...but this Eto is even worse.

I don't know how she got a wild card, she couldn't return well or serve well. Most of the points she earned came from Anett spraying unforced errors into the net... so yes it was a disappointed that Anett couldn't double bagel her.

The Taiwanese that practiced with BFCD.

Sorry chingching, you only get this version of Anett for the most part.

Zhang Shuai switched a hitting partner, not sure who it is cause I didn't bother watching them practice.

Anybody got any idea how Naoko Eto got a wild card? She is 30+ years old, so she is definitely not a young promising player.

I think this one went into the net as well :eek:h:

Anett serving.

·
Registered
37,300 Posts
Thanks for Photos :inlove: I am not surprised Anett made errors, Eto is not only Japanese and old, she is also a scrub :eek:h: So sad Anett flopped that BP :lol: :sad:

I didn't think you were going to get back in the centre :lol: :D :)

·
Registered
15,541 Posts

Anett hit the last ball down the line then ended the match.

Handshakes.

This is the closest clear shot I can get for Anett :tape:

I am sure there will be other people visiting the venue in the coming days, so for sure you can see some clear pictures or even other things once they start the main draw and actually do events. The next match I moved to is in Court #1, Zhu Lin v. Lu Jing-Jing.

The fans always make me giggle.

Lu serving.

Cheater Zhu returning.

Lu Jing-Jing played quite well... but her services has been a let down to her for the most part. I think she will advance much further once she gets more matches in hand and not injured on the way. After the first set went to Zhu, I went to see Ankita Raina v. Xu Shilin.

I am not sure why people call Xu the next Li or even how good she will be. She is an UE machine!

Xu serving.

My mind got drifted away cause this match quality was not good, but it is the closest match held on Court #2.

Ula practicing.

Raina serving.

Puig running around, playing ball.

She is waiting for Ula to finish.

Raina lost the second set and went to change clothes.

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
Ula's match practice ended shortly after.

I heard aiya, but I am not sure if this is Vesnina?

Ula.

The center court matches ended, so everyone crowded to Court #1 and the walkway to see Court #2.

The result was NID for Court #2 so I went back to see the final match in Court #1.

Liang Chen v. Katarzyna Piter.

Piter serving. She was not playing very well today. Liang was the better player on court.

Liang took a long break after she lost the second set.

She DFed 3 times in one game. It seems like her energy is not enough to last a long game. Since this is the last match, and I did not want to wait for her to come back, so I left to munch for food. I walked out through the entrance so I don't have to be exiled again :eek:h:

They have a Hingis/Mirza kanban by the ticket area.

Also one for Halep and Zheng.

...and Errani, Jankovic, Kuznetsova.

This is outside the Center Court.

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
I'm intrigued :eek:h: Please tell :haha:

Also, I thought you were Chinese :eek:
No I am not from China.

So it was illegal to spectate these matches :spit: What the fuck :sobbing: No Nettu-GOAT :sad: What was the gossip :eek:h:
Yes, it was illegal to spectate these matches. Hilarious.

There were many gossip. I'll just say one of them that's not so bad.

Zhang chatted with Duan and asked her: "Are you playing in Taipei?"

Duan said: "Maybe, still considering..."

Zhang then said, "...but the court in Taipei is so bad, I slipped a couple times and the court does not hold well."

The Taiwanese coach/trainer then said: "Yeah, the surface on the Taipei court is so slippery and it actually sucks your feet in cause of the material."

Zhang: "Right, my foot got sucked in couple times and I fell. I am the type that like to fall on court so this court is definitely not suitable for me. I won't go to Taipei this time."

The Taiwanese then said: "The lightning in that indoor court is also a problem... actually that's not even a court, it's an arena for concerts."

Duan was like, "...well, I'll consider it, but it's the only tournament there that week in Asia that has lots of points..."

...then Zhang went on to talk about how she wants to hear concerts from Jay Chou and A-Mei :eek:h:

...in my mind I was like: Zhang, I think you need to worry about your ranking first. You probably don't have a choice if you don't do well this China swing.

Thanks for Photos :inlove: I am not surprised Anett made errors, Eto is not only Japanese and old, she is also a scrub :eek:h: So sad Anett flopped that BP :lol: :sad:

I didn't think you were going to get back in the centre :lol: :D :)
Well, I already went there, I ain't leaving without watching enough matches!

·
Registered
17,450 Posts
So could anybody explain all the venue changes?
I'm confused.
So this year, they play in the Guangdong Olympic tennis center, originally built in 010 für the Asian games.
But there is also a complex named Guangzhou international Tennis Center, where the tournament used to take place, too.

And last year, they played in a very small and ugly stadium.

Maybe some chinese poster could explain the where, when and why. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well. What funny is that "open to public" means only including court 1 and center court. They stopped my friend. Take more photos for Petra Martic please. :+1:?:+1:?:+1:?:grinning::grinning::grinning:

Next up is Petra Martic v. Anna Morgina.

Anyway, I walked towards Court #2, no one stopped me, no security lines anywhere. I inquired the linesman if I can spectate... she said come in fast cause the match is about to start.

Petra Martic serving.

Anna Morgina serving.

Change time... and I was the only spectator sitting in the stand (not counting coaches)

Martic played pretty well the first set, Morgina foot faulted like two or three times?

During the first set break time, I switched and looked back at Court #3 where BFCD Duan Ying Ying is practicing next door with...

Zhang Shuai

They were practicing w/one Taiwanese and two Chinese coach or trainer in the court. I heard lots of gossip but I will not go deep into what they said in the practice court... though I think it's kind of funny that the time they spent on chatting was about 2/3 of the court time usage... only 1/3 of the time is practicing.

Petra had some hiccup in the second set but still closed Anna in ease.

After this match is over, I went out (cause it's too hot) and waited for the next match in Court #2 (Kontaveit v. Eto) in the shades. Then an officer came up to me and asked me if I had badges. I told him: "No, I only have tickets." Then he kicked me out of the venue cause I was not allowed to be in that area. I cannot even re-enter Center Court from the way I came back. I had to leave immediately.

Therefore, there are no close up pictures for Anett
Sorry to disappoint.

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
As requested by chingching, the other gossips will be updated in the General Message thread :eek:h:

So could anybody explain all the venue changes?
I'm confused.
So this year, they play in the Guangdong Olympic tennis center, originally built in 010 für the Asian games.
But there is also a complex named Guangzhou international Tennis Center, where the tournament used to take place, too.

And last year, they played in a very small and ugly stadium.

Maybe some chinese poster could explain the where, when and why. :)
It was originally located in Guangzhou International Tennis Center at Tianhe (heart of the city), it's now located at the Olympic Tennis Center (some rural area by the freeway). The stadium is better at the Olympic Tennis Center (now two mini domes), but the location is not friendly.

Well. What funny is that "open to public" means only including court 1 and center court. They stopped my friend. Take more photos for Petra Martic please. :+1:?:+1:?:+1:?:grinning::grinning::grinning:
Yes it's also funny that the girls directed me where court #2 is, she didn't tell me that it's not open to public. I have to work during weekdays, cannot go :eek:

This looks like Soviet era construction quality. This center is supposed to be new?

It was built for the 2010 Asian Games... so pretty new (right?).

41 - 58 of 58 Posts