Tennis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Steffi Graf won her last Slam in Paris, 22 years ago. Well, after that we have 86 GS, this year RG is the 87th.
In 86th Grand Slam we have 30 different winners. And you should also consider that Serena Williams won 23 of these 86 tournaments....

Andreescu, Azarenka, Bartoli, Barty, Capriati, Clijsters, Davenport, Halep, Henin, Ivanovic, Kenin, Kerber, Kuznetsova, Kvitova, Li, Mauresmo, Myskina, Muguruza, Osaka, Ostapenko, Pennetta, Pierce, Schiavone, Sharapova, Stephens, Stosur, Swiatek, S. Williams, V.Williams, Wozniacki.
Saturday we will put Pavlyuchenkova or Krejcikova in this list, the 31st different winner in 87th Slam... o_O

What do you think about these 30 names? Who do you think would have deserved to win a GS? Who do you think will follow these 31 players, considering in particular more experienced players (I mean: it's quite probably that Gauff will win GS one day...)?

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I made the same for ATP and there has been 19 winners. I would thought it was even less than that.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
WTA will always have more unpredictability factor than ATP in slams because of BO3 format...it leads to more upsets..that's one reason why I do prefer WTA over ATP in first week of slams...infact, first weeks of GS in women's tennis are my fav weeks of tennis calendar. It's always fun to see tight encounters between a lower ranked player who is giving it all against a top player in Slams.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the same for ATP
Agassi, Cilic, Costa, Del Potro, Djokovic, Federer, Ferrero, Gaudio, Ivanisevic, Hewitt, Johansson, Kuerten, Murray, Nadal, Roddick, Safin, Sampras, Thiem, Wawrinka...
I also tought there were less, but 19 is quite different from 30/31...

·
Registered
115,996 Posts
I thought there was a change when Serena left the tour. She had won 2 of the last 3 majors, 2016 W & 2017 AO, and about 6 of her last 10
Suddenly Ostapenko and Stephens won majors. Now its just as crazy as the 4 in the semis are all mugs no one was talking about 2 weeks ago or at the AO
I said in the spring that since Osaka had no chance, 30 players could win in Paris. Even picking 30, I wouldnt have 3 of the final 4, just Sakkari
I'd have to go 100 deep to pick Zidansek

·
Registered
11,218 Posts
Depth.

Reactions: feder

·
Registered
483 Posts
In that list of 31 we will have 14 one-slam-wonders, out of which 8 are still active and can win other slams (OK, it's very unlikely that Stosur will).

In the 22 years and 87 slams before Federer's first title at Wimbledon 2003 there were 29 different winners and 13 one-slam-wonders.

·
Registered
12,808 Posts
All those GS champions listed were top 10 at some point during their careers... that could change on Saturday.
Or maybe the winner will also enter top 10 at the later stage...

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
All those GS champions listed were top 10 at some point during their careers... that could change on Saturday.
Bara will be in top 10 by the end of this year. If she stays injury free. Mark my words

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
That is something
and in ATP we see 5 different winners in 25 years..

I dont know what is better ..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts