Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand perfectly that you might grunt when you hit a hard shot, that breathing thingie, and I accept that, even the screams some players use rather than grunting.

What I totally fail to see though is why you need to grunt when you hit a backhand slice! It's quite ridiculous to sound like you've used every bit of power and almost died in order to hit a completely powerless slice.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
and miss it........:p

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
Maybe they do it out of intension, Does Monica grunt when she hits a dropshot?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I think in the end it's more of a habit, even when hitting a slice, and I think it might also help your timing. I remeber a Clijsters match in which she wasn't really grunting, but every time she was hitting a drop shot (!) she always made the same kind of noise.

M

·
0 Posts
And is Gustavo Kuerten's grunt just there to put his opponent off? It makes me laugh!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Jelena doesn't mean to grunt, it's just her breathing as she hits the ball.

She will not grunt when she hits a dropshot or slices, only when she hits a groundstroke.

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
I grunt,got a problem with it?:rolleyes: :p :mad:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Add me to the grunt list...but not all the time. Generally if I serve, and going for pass...just a way of breathing...but I do get teased every now and then....

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,480 Posts
Grunting's been known as a way to help out a player's timing :)

·
25,651 Posts
I'm a grunter too-and it's a habit. I also admit sometimes it's an intimidation factor at times, take THAT(argggggg!!!!!!) baby! Of course the BEST feeling is a big windup, huge grunt(like I'm gonna smack the hell out of the ball), followed by the cutest little drop shot :eek:

What can I say. I'm no:angel: on the court.
Better stop giving away my secrets.
Habit, habit, strictly a habit.

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
Thats a good idea,Rollo!Im gonna do that!
Give me some more tips please!!!!

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I grunt on serves, passes etc, but its involuntary. Sometimes I might do a oh-my-god-look-at-me-trying-so-hard-to-reach-this-ball type grunt on the stretch, but lets face it, that´s only to draw attention to my valiant efforts. Anyone who is grunting (as oppposed to just exhaling loudly) on a backhand slice has to be doing it on purpose, surely?

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
lol...i started grunting and loud on clay a few days ago against one of the guys from this board...i got embaressed and started laughing at myself which forced me to lose the point! :eek:

but yeah nothing wrong with grunting...it helps relieve tension and aids concentration

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Exhaling as you hit helps you NOT hold your breathe. The body is more relaxed, the swing is smoother and easier to control. If I can't hear my exhale and I'm playing poorly, that's one of the things I do to play better. call it grunting if you want. It helps me.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I've been grunting louder and louder these past couple of weeks. I know I'm a bastard for doing it, but I want to win so badly that I'll do whatever it takes within the rules to win. I've been trying to hit harder also, so maybe the physical effort combined with the audible effort all goes hand-in-hand. I never grunt for drop shots or lobs though. Those shots aren't quite second nature to me yet so I need all my powers of concentration to make them. Strange though that my opponents never see them coming. You'd think they be able to make the connection after awhile. No grunt = drop shot or lob. Oh well. I'm not complaining. I want to win.

I like grunting and grunters. Monica's is the most electrifying of them all. She's not as loud as she used to be but I wish she'd amp it up again. I doubt any of the players would complain about it anymore (well, maybe except Jen when she's losing to her). Most original grunt (which isn't really a grunt) would have to be Jelena Dokic's. It's an interesting variation on a breathing technique. The grunt I miss most is Anna Kournikova's loud animal shrieks when she was a junior. She was very loud. But I think she toned it down to conserve energy. They were fake but I liked them. She had more of a presence as a junior player.

I must be the only one who likes Gustavo Kuerten's grunts. They invoke strange images at times, but they make me giggle.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I grunt when I need more effort. I don't play tennis but I play netball and when I reach for a ball out comes a grunt. Sounds like this , he - errgh! Well you gotta sound it out. It has 2 syllables. The "he" and then ther "errgh!".

Even when I do weights I make this noise.

Can't now though because I sprained my ankle an hour ago and am now propped up on a chair. And I just joined a gyum last week! *sigh*

1 - 19 of 19 Posts