Tennis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its ARGENTINA!!

He cant pronounce Calleri either, but at least he hasnt been doing that wrong for ten years...

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
you wouldnt call him an argentina-cos thats the name of the country. I think the correct thing would be to call him an argentinian--but for some reason people in England call people from argentina "argentines" :)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
So you've noticed that too, eh? It seems to be a common trait among all British commentators, it has me equally baffled. I think they do it out of some over-optimistic hope that Argentina is still a colony rather than an independent nation, since I believe that's what it was called some 50 or 60 years ago.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Bezza, I believe he's referring to the country, not the player - and I can tell you, commentators do refer to the nation of Argentina as "The Argentine". It annoys me too.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Argentina was never a colony of Britian-although they are still pissed we are in control of the falkland islands/malvinas (for the argentines ;) )

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
oh i thought he was on about the players :eek: --well i dont have a clue why they say "the argentine" when refering to the country.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I know it was never a British colony, but for some reason these commentators still like to refer to it using its old-fashioned, colonial name. And they always do it completely casually, just tripping off the tongue, as if everyone at home knows what they're talking about.

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agustin Calleri (pronounced like calorie) from The Argentine. :fiery:

Hendouble: glad someone else has spotted it...I've not actually noticed anyone other than this guy (is it Simon reed?) saying it, and he's been doing it since Sabatini (I have a match of hers with Arantxa on video, and he was doing it then!). I cant believe no-one's ever brought it up with him.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
just out of interest does anybody know if the match on at 12.45 tonight on eurosport is from spain or texas?

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I think they both work, but like you i think argentinian sounds better but maybe people were too lazy to say such a long word, so cut it down :) . Maybe someone should phone buenos aries (i think that is how you spell it)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts