Tennis Forum banner

681 - 698 of 698 Posts

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #681
The 12U finals are (always?) held in Sunderland, btw, if anyone fancies going to tomorrow's final, in which unseeded GB face the mighty Russia: Tennis Europe

Per hingis_forever, the lynchpin of the GB team, Hannah Klugman, is only 10 years old (birthday imminenent, but still a year young for this). It will be interesting to see how she does in the upcoming Auray tournament.

The British number 2, Amalia Widdowson, is diabetic.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Well done girls! I did think that if they got past Czech Republic they would likely win the title. Hannah will be one of the favourites in Auray.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I think our U14s have a great chance of replicating our U12s' success. Czech Republic would be the clear favourites if Fruhvirtova and Bartunkova play, but they didn't play in the qualifying rounds. We have so much depth in the U14s right now that someone as talented as Oluwadare is our #3 player. Exciting times!

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #687
In the 14U winter cup, GB fell to Russia in the semis (who lost to the Czech Republic in the final). GB waltzed the 3rd place playoff. Lots of photos at Tennis Europe, including

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Hannah and Viviana are through to the third round in singles. Amalia lost to her German opponent after a tight first set. Leticia and Sophie are currently playing. I must say, I always find it fascinating watching this tournament because it's usually the first chance we get to see some future stars, but some of the antics of players at this age are really irritating. Leticia's opponent is yelling come on after literally every point, and her jumping around between points is over the top. It all feels really manufactured emotion, IMO. It seems That being said, I can't even imagine the pressure some of the families and coaches are putting on these girls. Earlier I was watching the match between Daria Koreshkova and Daphnee Mpetshi Perricard (both players Hannah beat in the winter cup), and after Daphnee won a tight 7-5 in the third set match, Daria sat on the court and cried uncontrollably. At first I thought she had fallen and injured herself on match point, but it seemed she was sobbing simply because she lost a close match. It was hard to watch, honestly.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #690
Came out at 3-3 in R2 for the British girls. Hannah's match for those who want a glimpse of what the future of British women's tennis might look like.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #691
2-1 today. It'll be a disaster if we do any worse than 1-1 tomorrow, as our survivors are playing each other.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #693
Hannah in the final for loss of (by my count) 11 games total, no more than 3 in any one set. Her opponent is American Tyra Grant, who has been losing more than that number of games per match lately.

Hannah is also in the doubles final partnering countrywoman Shamiso Ndoro. That'll be on youtube soon, after the last boys' semi is finished.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #695
Hannah at least knows what it is to win a game in the final now. Takes first set 6-4 against Grant.

(I think the link will stop working as soon as the match finishes, though.)

I'd probably say this match was on Grant's racket (but I don't expect a turnaround). Hannah consistent and super accurate but (perhaps unsuprisingly given that she's only just turned 11) not so powerful.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #696
And there we go. Hannah Klugman wins 6-4 6-3 (2nd set prolonged by a nose bleed for Grant).

I guess I've been following this tournament for about 10 years, and we've had tremendous success in it, with Lumsden, Mikheeva and Fischer winning. Which of them is going to make it in the pros? Hannah has won it a year early, though, which is impressive for this age group.

She seemed to always be where the ball was (is that speed or anticipation?) and able to hit it to whatever part of the court she wanted. On the other hand, she found it very hard to get the ball past a not particularly agile opponent. Is she the new [insert name of successful player of this type here] or the new Jessica Ren, I wonder.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Hannah seems a pretty complete player, especially for her age. I actually think she has reasonable power on her strokes. Remember, she's only 11 years old.

681 - 698 of 698 Posts