Tennis Forum banner

641 - 660 of 698 Posts

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
To be fair, Talia came out of nowhere to win that grade 5 in Edinburgh. If it hadn't been for that, she wouldn't have necessarily been on my radar as one of the favourites for national title. Stoiber is a clear favourite, but a semifinal against Hannah Read could be interesting. From the bottom half I could see one of either Millie Skelton, Ella Mcdonald, or Jaquelyn Ogunwale making the final.

As is often that case, the 12s is the most exciting field (IMO at least). Mingge Xu is an even bigger favourite than Stoiber, but I'm really hoping Hannah Klugman gets the chance to play her in the quarterfinal. Hannah is only 10, born in 2009(!), but has won back-to-back grade 2 U12 events this summer.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #642
Three of the events finished, but no flag pics at all on twitter. What is this? Maybe tomorrow when the first singles titles are decided.

Alicia Dudeney was back for this after being out for months, but sadly had to retire from a match today and then pulled out of the tournament altogether.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #643

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #645
14U Girls Singles
Jaquelyn Ogunwale [8] d. Ranah Akua Stoiber [1] 6-2 0-6 6-3

18U Girls Singles
Grace Piper [2] d. Amelia Rajecki [1] 6-0 6-4

16s final tomorrow is Haddad v. K Paskauskas (Haddad therefore going at least one round further in the 16s than she did in the 14s)

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #650
Matilda won a JA!

Only doubles, and only the risibly weak Cape Town JA, so by any reasonable standard it doesn't count, but if it does count, it must be a while since a British girl won at this level...

Final
Ziva FALKNER (SLO) / Matilda MUTAVDZIC (GBR) [2] d. Weronika BASZAK (POL) / Linda FRUHVIRTOVA (CZE) [1] 3-6 7-6(10) [10-7]

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #651
Re: Juniors

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/49814457

The Lawn Tennis Association has set up two academies, one in Loughborough and one in Stirling.
Rankin and his other seven students will attend nearby Dollar Academy and receive tennis tuition from a coaching team led by Leo Azevedo, who worked with former world number one Juan Carlos Ferrero and spent eight years at the United States Tennis Association, and which includes former Scotland and GB Davis Cup doubles player Colin Fleming.

Joining Rankin, currently coached by David Brewer, in Stirling will be Henry Jefferson (Surrey), Sam Reeve (Cheshire), Hannah Read (Hertfordshire), Hephzibah Oluwadare (Hertfordshire), Millie Skelton (Yorkshire), Ella McDonald (Lancashire) and Talia Neilson-Gatenby (Leicestershire).

Making the Loughborough University National Tennis Academy are Eva Shaw (Nottinghamshire), Hugo Coquelin (Kent), Ranah Stoiber (Middlesex), Henry Searle (Staffordshire), Luca Pow (Warwickshire), Given Roach (Middlesex) and Kylie Bilchev (Suffolk).
Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #655
Marni Banks wins the J2 at Chuncheon, S. Korea.

First tournament win at this level, first tournament win this year. (I think it's the only J2 singles won by any British girl this year.)

Will break the top 100 in the ITF rankings and (re)take the GB no. 2 slot.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #656
In '07 news, Mimi Xu was a long way behind Oluwadare at the start of the year (I think), but seems to have caught her up and started to pull away. They swapped Winter National Tour events in the last few weeks, but today Mimi won the Wirral TE14 C3, thrashing in the final the girl who knocked Hephzibah out in the first round.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #660
It didn't go well for Mimi. She got routined by a Chinese opponent in R2. Hephzibah is third seed and has made it through to R3.

641 - 660 of 698 Posts