Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 697 Posts

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Juniors

It seems we could do with a thread to cover junior tennis for those girls who don't (yet) have their own threads and for team events. My year by year strategy isn't cutting the mustard, so here's an all-embracing thread.

The title name is up for grabs...

p.s. Of course you shouldn't feel that all junior tennis should be shoehorned into this thread. Don't hesitate to make new threads for junior Wimbledon or the junior nationals.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Juniors

Indi Spink, Holly Fischer and Emma Raducanu formed the GB team that travelled to Latvia and qualified for the finals of the 12U Europe Nations Challenge. The finals start in a week's time in Ajaccio (FRA).

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

16U team beat Holland in the decisive doubles to qualify for the finals. Play France tomorrow for a finals seeding.

Link to event thread in junior tennis subforum.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Katie goes 3/3 in singles, but Maia loses again and France take the seeding with a win in the doubles.

Weather has been poor here in NE England today; maybe they had to move indoors at some point.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Katie crocked in 1st match of the vital play-off versus Slovakia. I don't see us coming back from this. Cancel those Mexico flight bookings.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

Our 12U team competes in the final round tomorrow and has been drawn in a group with Russia, Belgium, and Poland. The top two teams in the group make it to the playoff rounds. I'm cautiously optimistic they can come through.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

Our 12U team competes in the final round tomorrow and has been drawn in a group with Russia, Belgium, and Poland. The top two teams in the group make it to the playoff rounds. I'm cautiously optimistic they can come through.
I'm not sure it worked like that. Looks like there's only one play-off round, and we're playing the Czech Republic for 5th place tomorrow. Indi scored 3/3 in singles in the group, but discounting the match against Belgium, no other points were scored.

EDIT: 5th place it is, then.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@judmoo said:
GB girls team doing their homework at the Connecticut Open. Getting ready to rock the Maureen Connolly Trophy.

@judmoo said:
GB's little ladies spying on the USA team practice. @gabitaylorr @maialumsden @freya_christie @katieswan99. #MoCoTro

Always in the same order?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
What is the tournament? I noticed the scores when I was looking for the WTA tournament scores. Freya won 6-2 in the third. Maia lost a bagel first set, but is up 2-0 in the second.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What is the tournament? I noticed the scores when I was looking for the WTA tournament scores. Freya won 6-2 in the third. Maia lost a bagel first set, but is up 2-0 in the second.
Maureen Connolly Trophy, a match between British and American girls. In recent years it's been annual, taking place during either Eastborne or New Haven.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Green Strawberries! :lol: Love it!

Great day for 3 out of 4 today. Lumsden seemed to be the most promising of the bunch a few years back but she's definitely been overtaken. Hopefully that'll only motivate her.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
To be honest, after watching her play against Michaela Gordon at Wimbledon, I was a little underwhelmed. She was easily overpowered, but when she had time on the forehand it was quite good. The serve is a major weakness. I know she's only 16, but she's got such a slight frame, even for her age. If she gets stronger I'd like a chance to see her play again.

1 - 20 of 697 Posts