Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
i remember it : M. Pierce vs M. Seles (QF Roland Garros 2000)
greatest for sure..
:worship: Queen Mary :worship:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Personally the best tennis shot ive seen was in this year in the Australian Open mens singles, Roger Federer hitting a clean winner around the net, im not sure who the opponent was..

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
2,023 Posts
I remember that one, and yes, always thought it was one of the best.

I remember thinking at the time, Mary must be destined to win the FO!

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
mary's tweener was just great....i remember sat at my grandmar and grandads flat watching it...and when she did it i was just like 'WOW'...

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
Definately Maam against Monica - what an amazing shot!

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
Mary´s shot must be the shot of all best shots ever;)

However, also loved:

USO 2003 Capriati - Henin-Hardenne:

Jen was serving for the set at 6-4 5-3 (30-30), then Justine goes up with a brilliant (fan or not OMG!) half-volley or whatever that was and after that even or cooler winner: Justine´s best lob ever!!! It was just freaky! I guess most of you know what I talk about, but if not...

9 MB download - US live commentary (divx):
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=39QHYMO2

·
Registered
10,846 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Have you people forgotten that the HISTORY of tennis began in the 1800's?
The mary Pierce shot was great btw.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
calabar said:
Have you people forgotten that the HISTORY of tennis began in the 1800's?
The mary Pierce shot was great btw.
Of course they have most of them were born in the late eighties, and only started watching tennis in the y2k.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Spunky83 said:
Come on, even the players prior to the Open Era got neglected mostly
That is precisely the reason why we should refrain from using terms like "greatest EVER", or "greatest in HISTORY".

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
calabar said:
That is precisely the reason why we should refrain from using terms like "greatest EVER", or "greatest in HISTORY".
Are you from the US? You those Burger and coffee-corner-shops which all claim to be have the "World´s best coffee/burger". I think you can never call something "the best ever" that´s true...but it´s the fun that counts in the end.

I am even pretty sure that there are hundreds of guys who were more talented tennis player than Pete Sampras or whoever, but those guys just never got the chance to play tennis. It´s a fun-thread...at least I hope so if not I declare that this world is too serious.

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
calabar said:
I have another example...it´s like getting married and you can´t be sure if there isn´t someone out there who suits you better, you know? Weird example. Maybe the thread-starter should have put a question-mark behind his title.

·
Registered
349 Posts
here are some ones of the top of my head....

1) mary vs monica rg 2000 the between the legs, everyone knows about that one.:worship: :worship:

2) hingis vs Venus usopen 1999 semis martina was up i think 5-3 and it was 30-15 and venus hit a short shot or it might have been a drop shot, this point would have given hingis 2 match points, nobody thought she'd make it but she tracked it down with every last bit of energy that she had and inched it over the net for an around the pole down the line pass!! People were on their feet :cool: :cool: :hearts:

3) kournikova vs davenport australian open 2000 quarters (i think). when asked about the hardest shot hit ever by a women player i think of this point. davenport hit a monster first serve to the left corner of the ad service box that should have been an ace and kournikova caught it on the rise and hit one of the hardest flattest backhands i ever saw in my life back directly at davenport (i think this return had to have been over 110miles per hour) and davenport actually got it back somehow short though only to have anna put away an easy winner. :bounce: :hearts:

4) hingis vs pierce Indian wells semis (or quarters) 2000. it was 6-4 and 5-2 for martina, pierce had just taken out serena like 0 and 3 or something ridiculous like that, martina's confidence was so high near the end she served and volleyed the last game and hit this incredible on the rise half volley crosscourt dropshot winner that looked so incredibly easy. both the commentators were laughing...:drool: :drool:

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
sioul said:
here are some ones of the top of my head....

1) mary vs monica rg 2000 the between the legs, everyone knows about that one.:worship: :worship:

2) hingis vs Venus usopen 1999 semis martina was up i think 5-3 and it was 30-15 and venus hit a short shot or it might have been a drop shot, this point would have given hingis 2 match points, nobody thought she'd make it but she tracked it down with every last bit of energy that she had and inched it over the net for an around the pole down the line pass!! People were on their feet :cool: :cool: :hearts:

3) kournikova vs davenport australian open 2000 quarters (i think). when asked about the hardest shot hit ever by a women player i think of this point. davenport hit a monster first serve to the left corner of the ad service box that should have been an ace and kournikova caught it on the rise and hit one of the hardest flattest backhands i ever saw in my life back directly at davenport (i think this return had to have been over 110miles per hour) and davenport actually got it back somehow short though only to have anna put away an easy winner. :bounce: :hearts:

4) hingis vs pierce Indian wells semis (or quarters) 2000. it was 6-4 and 5-2 for martina, pierce had just taken out serena like 0 and 3 or something ridiculous like that, martina's confidence was so high near the end she served and volleyed the last game and hit this incredible on the rise half volley crosscourt dropshot winner that looked so incredibly easy. both the commentators were laughing...:drool: :drool:
I remember watching #4 on CNN Sports before... I'd do anything to see that shot Hingis did against Venus at the 99 US Open semis... thanks for the detailed description!!

·
Registered
34,670 Posts
sioul said:
:rocker2: :banana: :hearts:

2000 San Diego Anna vs. Seles, Anna hit an GIGANTIC flat BH return in that match as well, those are always pretty. I miss Anna. :sad:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts