Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Her name would be Venus Williams. Her first serve is lethally powerful and well-placed and paced. Her slice out wide is notoriously known for its ability to set up her point, if it isn't an ace. Venus holds the record for fastest serve. She is, afterall, the Queen of Tennis. :worship:

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd have to disagree on Venus- her sister Serena, while not recording the fastest serve, has much more variety and disguise, and is much more difficult to break because of it.

I'd have to say when it was on- Martina Navratilova, only because she used her natural leftiness well, and had all the serves, slice, kick, twist, flat, and she put pressure behind most of them by coming in. Billie Jean King also had this same weapon, but at 5'5" she just wasn't big enough to be on par with the Margaret Courts and Virginia Wades of her day...

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My top 5 best first serves of all time:

1. Martina Navratilova
2. Serena Williams
3. Margaret Court
4. Virginia Wade
5. Billie Jean King

Of course, this begs the question about second serves...???

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
I have to say Serena Williams. I've seen navratilova. But im basing this on all time. The fact that there is much more depth, bring Navratilova's serve into todays era, with about average power as everyone, serena would still be way ahead of her.

She is consistent and its the dominating shot in her game. When its working, the rest of her just eats up the court!

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What do you think Althea Gibson could have done with today's equipment and training? Her first serve was the hardest in the 1950s, and she was forced to retire at her prime because she needed to support herself.

·
Serena's #1 Hater
20,615 Posts
Just as the most successful pitchers in baseball are those who know how and when to change speeds and location on their pitches, the best servers are those who know how and when to mix it up. For that reason, I would have to say that Martina Navratilova had/has the best first serve in the history of women's tennis, with Serena Williams a close second. Venus Williams and Brenda Schultz-McCarthy can/could bring the heat, but that's it. Martina's corkscrew serve in the ad court should have been outlawed by the WTA, because if you were lucky enough to get your racquet on it for a return, your momentum would carry you into the first row of seats. ;)

·
Serena's #1 Hater
20,615 Posts
alfajeffster said:
What do you think Althea Gibson could have done with today's equipment and training? Her first serve was the hardest in the 1950s, and she was forced to retire at her prime because she needed to support herself.
Are you kidding? Althea would probably make Venus' first serve look like her second serve. ;)

·
Registered
17,958 Posts
Venus?:lol: Her serve sucks. Okay it is powerful, but otherwise:lol: . No placement, no special spins, just the power. I can only judge from recent times, but I would say:
1. Serena
2. Alex (though she has nothing else in her arsenal:eek: )
3. Lindsay
4. Justine/Venus (tie)

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Through watching 30+ years of tennis, I have never seen anyone dominate with their serve the way Martina Navratilova did in their hey-day. And I say that as someone who was not a fan of hers at all. I would place Serena's serve as No. 2 on the list -- it's incredibly solid and sets her apart from her would-be rivals.

Venus should have a far better serve, but as it is -- particularly with her second serve and the fact that she can so easily lose rhythm on the first serve -- I'm not sure I would even put it in the top 5 serves of all time.

That said, after Martina N and Serena, I'd be hard-pressed to rank Nos. 3-5. There were a lot of players who could serve incredibly well for one match and then incredibly bad the next. In fact, I remember a Wimbledon quarterfinal between Betty Stove and Martina N in 1977 in which Stove opened with three doublefaults and followed with 5 aces or unreturnable serves. Hana Mandlikova's serve was also very effective and fairly solid. Anne Smith, although few people remember her, had a tremendous serve, but she could not back it up well enough to become a top player. Margaret Court's serve was superb, and Billi Jean King backed her serve up as well as anyone. Rosie Casals generated amazing power for someone so short.

Oh well. This I can say with certainty. My fave's serve certainly didn't rank among the all-time great shots -- Chris Evert! -- but she did place it as well as anyone in the game.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
im sorry but i'd take Venu's first serve placed anywhere anytime. Truth is the faster a ball is going lets say 119 MPH more likely than not thats an ace, service winner, or a short reply return.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
no one has a more powerful and effective serve than venus does, no question about it...i think people are missing the "first" part, when venus gets her first serve in she is more likely to ace or get an unreturned serve period...no question about it that serena has a more consistent serve, but if we are discussing first delivery than it has to be venus.

·
Registered
14,307 Posts
Some of you peole are crazy!

Venus has by far the most lethel FIRST SERVE. She won 4 slams and made 6 to 8 finals. That is a potential of winning 12 grandslams and she is only 23. Not to mention this is a tough wta tour then ever before.

Venus has a killer "first serve". Did you all see Wimby before she got injured? She was blowin' players away with that first serve.

Did u see her playing Momo in the Us open? She served three untuchable serves or was it four in the semi-final. I literally got chills up my spine when she served those serves.

She did the same agaisnt Rubin as well.

When it comes to first serves nobody can touch Venus's

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.