• Wimbledon '00 VENUS wins 6-3 4-6 6-4

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • US Open '00 VENUS wins 4-6 6-3 7-5

Votes: 50 55.6%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hat did u guys consider to be their greatest match? im not just thinking of the closest, but the like occasion, how competitive it was, excitment, unpredictability, level of play, just the whole drama of it.

For me its a real toss up between the 2 titanic battles in 2000 at Wimbledon andthe US Open. At the US Hingis was the underdog and played brilliantly to come within sight of the finishing line, but an awsome battle from Venus was amazing to watch.

However I think i would go for teh Wimbledon QF because it was unbelievably exciting and so unpredictable right from the start. the level of play was breathtaking, really, i couldnt believe how hard Venus was hitting the ball, how Hingis managed to live with her and the shots both players came up with, was quite unbelievable. Hingis produced a level of play i had never seen from her before with her battling qualities there for all to see and some of her improvised shots were extraordinary. There were also seven consecutive breaks in the seond and third sets and it was really for me, the coming of age of Venus from the lady in waiting to the dominant champion she became. When she served for the match for the first time it showed that she had the composure and focus of a champion.

Ive also NEVER seen Venus grit her teeth and be so aggressive or emotional on court.

· Registered
3,002 Posts
Brandon85 said:
When Martina won 6-1, 6-1 at the 2001 Australian Open!

When Venus embarissed her 6-3, 6-4 in front of her home fans in Zurich to win the Swisscom Challenge in 99.

lixuan,

Underdog?! That has to be the funniest shyt I've ever heard. Wasnt Hingis number one in the world then? in 2000 she won nine titles, while Venus was in the the mid rankings. I would hardly call Hingis the underdog.

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Serendy Willick said:
When Venus embarissed her 6-3, 6-4 in front of her home fans in Zurich to win the Swisscom Challenge in 99.

lixuan,

Underdog?! That has to be the funniest shyt I've ever heard. Wasnt Hingis number one in the world then? in 2000 she won nine titles, while Venus was in the the mid rankings. I would hardly call Hingis the underdog.

Well Venus had won Wimbledon, Stanford, San Diego and New Haven and was going for her 5th title in a row and her 25th win in a row. Hingis had been beaten that summer already by Amy Frazier and Serena and had just won against Serena through a retirement in Montreal after getting BAGLED in the first set.

Venus was the clear and undisputed favourite for the US Open taht year and everyone knew she was teh best player in the world at that point.

· Registered
47,657 Posts
this isn´t even a question. There´s a reason why they always show the ´00 open semi between Hingis and Venus...one of the best matches ever. The match that really meant the end of Hingis as the best player in the world and broke her mental strength.

· Registered
4,071 Posts
Personally i liked the 99; US Open. Not just because I am a Hingis fan and liked to see her winning, but the drama of that match was wow. I think it became a night match because of the long rain delay, and just time after time the momentum shifted. That third set was unbelievable and I remember that shot hingis hit to get to match point, with one hand she ran down the drop volley from venus and hit the ball from the doubles alley and the ball barely made it in the corner. That match had so many great shots. US Open 2000 would be number 2 for me. The quality of that match was great.

· Banned
191 Posts
As far as quality and drama, the 99 and 00 US Open matches were about equal, but I have a hard time picking a match that was decided on an obvious and terribble choke.

And the 00 Wimbledon match was not good quality in the 3rd set, Hingis couldn't hit the ball any more centered and shallow. Even Davenport made comments on Hingis' bad play in this match.

· Registered
851 Posts
Purely for results, I'd have to go with the 1997 US Open Final (Hingis, 6-4, 6-0), AO Semis in 2001 (Hingis, 6-1, 6-1) and the RG QF 1998 (Hingis 6-3, 6-4).

For drama, it has to be the US Open Semis in 1999 (Hingis, 6-1, 4-6, 6-3). Interesting to watch Richard's reaction from the player's box...

· Registered
2,064 Posts
there is little that seperates the 99 and 00 Semis, quality wise the 99 one was better, the 00 had a somber 1st set with venus making lots of errors, great comeback in the second, all it took was one break, then again in the 3rd. what saved that match was Hingis's shot making ability (that forehand down the line) and Venus's resilience (winner off overhead). The 2000 was a more organized 3-set thriller whereas the 99 was Brawl;), reminded me of the Capriati-Justine match. The drama for both will never be replaced.

· Registered
6,903 Posts
Definitely the '99 USO semi over the '00 semi. As exciting as that second match was, with its famous point where Venus ran down Martina's overhead, it was the match in '99 that had that "intangible" quality to it, one of those rare matches that people who saw it can never forget. It always adds something when the match is played at night. Because Venus lost, the Richard had to wait an extra two years for his "all Williams GS final". This years Cappy vs Henin match was IMO the first USOpen match to achieve that level since '99 Hingis vs Venus.

· Registered
43,627 Posts
OK, the score in the poll is wrong. Venus won 6-2 6-7 9-7 in Munich

But, I have three.

1-The Rome 99 SF. Venus wins 6-4 1-6 6-4. It's not the best tennis, but it's FUN tennis. I highly enjoyed it.

2-US Open 99 SF--Hingis wins 6-1 4-6 6-3
3-US Open 00 SF--Venus wins 4-6 6-3 7-5
Both of these matches were unbelievable. Frankly, I think the only way people can say which one is better is by the winner. But, despite being a Venus fan, I could watch these over and over (and actually do), because of the quality of tennis, and the drama.

· Registered
1,050 Posts
You know I was so heartbroken with Venus' loss at the US Open 99 that I do not remember anything except that Hingis won!

My all time favoorites have to be the 2000 US Open Semi Final. I had given hope and then came that overhead in the third set. Brilliant fight, and I have never seen two players want it so badly!

I also think Wimby quarterfinal 2000 was breathtaking. There is a point where Hingis hits a lob. It is extraordinary! she made it look so easy and with such precision. Boy the Chuckster was a genius. I miss her!

· Registered
2,156 Posts
Zvonerevian said:
As far as quality and drama, the 99 and 00 US Open matches were about equal, but I have a hard time picking a match that was decided on an obvious and terribble choke.

And the 00 Wimbledon match was not good quality in the 3rd set, Hingis couldn't hit the ball any more centered and shallow. Even Davenport made comments on Hingis' bad play in this match.
oooos never seems to get tired with his pathetic excuses. How about that Venus was making a lot of errors and handing Hingis those other matches.
The best match for me was the '00 Semis. The '99 sucked because Hingis took her famous bathroom break inorder to disrupt her opponents concentration. That sucked und she sucked :devil:

· Registered
1,981 Posts
It's absolutely useless to offer these choices, because Williams fans will pick a Williams victory and Hingis fans a Hingis victory.

Personally, the '99 US Open was my favorite, because it included that unbelieveable shot Martina made on the second to last point, one of the greatest shots I have ever seen.

· Registered
8,951 Posts
00 Semi close second 99 Semi

Also like the 98 LIpton

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.