Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit early yes but this is almost the best time of the year :hehehe: and there seems to be a change to Maria's preparation for Wimbledon possibly due to the long period of time off she has had.

Maria is on the entry list for Eastbourne. Not on the Birmingham one I saw though but that will probably change late as usually happens. It was stated somewhere that Maria should be a certainty for Birmingham.

The Eastbourne website doesnt have Maria yet so it may be a recent change.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
i'd like to see her enter eastbourne, the competition is a little fiercer than in birmingham so i think its good for her to get practice agaisnt opponents she could meet in the 2nd week of wimbly, not the first few rounds like the opponents she faces in birmingham!!!! plus its televised! lol!

·
Registered
10,989 Posts
I think picking Eastbourne over Birmingham isn't a bad idea, since Birmingham has many great players this year as well, but I still don't think she should play the week before Wimbledon.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Selfishly I'd like her to play Eastbourne because I was planning on going!! :D

But seriously, it would sort of make sense for her to enter Eastbourne over Birmingham. Maria's just coming back from an injury, if she tweaks something in her shoulder in the next week or during the French open, entering Eastbourne gives her an extra week to recover and still be prepared for the change to grass. Obviously playing potentially 3 weeks solid Eastbourne to Wimbledon is still an issue, but no one she isn't 100% prepared for physically I reckon
(First post in Maria's forum so :wavey: )

Reactions: Emina.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I prefer Maria pick Birmingham because I love this tournament.I think its a very tradicional tournament that why I love there but I never went to Birmingham to see it

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I think an Eastbourne title is much more impressive than a Birmingham one.

·
Premium Member
28,156 Posts
I think it will all depend on how far she can get at the French Open. Birmingham has always been a happy hunting ground for her but maybe its time for a change. But at the same time why fiddle with a winning formula.

·
Registered
32,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like she'll be playing both....as long as shes feeling fit then I suppose its a good idea. She loves playing on the grass!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
What does everyone think Maria will do? She said in her interview that she will probably play Birmingham next week. Will she pull out of Eastbourne?

Good Idea/Bad Idea?

·
Registered
32,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maria should see how Birmingham goes IMO....I like that better as preparation so she can have a week off before Wimby. If she goes to Eastbourne too then she'd need to be feeling pretty healthy because that will be 5 weeks of play in a row before she hits Wimby.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
I think it`s more likely that Maria will only play one of the tournaments before Wimbledon, which i think she should do.

·
Registered
10,989 Posts
I think she should go for Birmingham and not hold back on her serve and see how it goes.
I don't think being easy on the shoulder is gonna get her the Wimbledon title.
We saw in her match against Ivanovic that it really didn't do anything when she served some big first serves, so I think she needs some practice getting back her placement and consistency.
Hitting a few doubles more on grass vs. confidence on holding your serve seems to be a fair deal if you ask me.

Birmingham looks to me like the perfect tournament for that, she can practice, get her footing on grass and get a week off before Wimbledon starts.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I hope it too
Come on Maria kick their ass !!! :bounce:

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I just have one word: FINALLY :lol:

Oh another: RELIEF

·
Premium Member
28,156 Posts
I have always likied Birmingham as a prep. A nice middle level tournament that should give her a lot of confidence plus a week to work out the kinks before Wimbledon.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Masha shouldn't play Eastbourne in preference to Birmingham.

1st. Maria likes a week off before a slam, to acclimatise and prepare, and also so she's not too tired to play two hard weeks of tennis.

2nd. Look at the eastbourne winners list down the years. Everybody crowds in there - and guess what - practically no one who wins eastbourne goes on to win at Wimbledon!

There's a reason for that, with so many top players in action, the Eastbourne winner is usually a worn-out wreck by the time Wimby starts.

3rd. As for the Eastbourne title, nobody remembers who has won it three days later. No one would trade it for a good run at Wimbledon.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts