Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's a bit early to be discussing this, but who would you like to see get wildcards for the UK grass events this year (qualies and main draw)

Birmingham

Eastbourne

Wimbledon

discuss...... :)

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
No I dont think its too early, it will be interesting to see how/if our opinions change :D

I think really they must be given out to the highest ranked Brits, excluding Anne who will get in as a DA.

So: Mel, Bally, Katie and Georgie IMO all deserve priority. I think Naomi too, if she can get back to form, we should have 6 top 200 Brits.

Also, I think Naomi Broady, EWS, Amanda E and Anna Fitz would be my 4 ''Back Up WCS'' and the girls who I would definitely give WCQ into Wimbledon?

Personally though, I am hoping that Bally can get back to her form from Australia, she was playing amazing tennis and should be top 100, as she herself believes, if she plays that standard. Mel should hopefully do the same in Miami if her injury is better. I think it could be a big week for them, and hopefully they can gain confidence going into the clay court season.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I think that the MD Wildcards should be handed out to the highest ranked Brits, but then qualifying WC should be handed out to the juniors.
Laura Robson should definately get Wimbledon main draw WC as she will bring alot of excitement and people will want to see her, so it will be good for the tournament.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Is there 5 WCs for MD in total?

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
8 MDWC and QDWC for Wimbledon, not sure about Birmingham and Eastbourne with all these new Top 10 wildcard places they've come up with this year

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
I guessed each would get 5ish, give or take a couple either way :shrug:

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
In recent years at Wimbledon its been: 5 Brit wildcard, 1 to junior champ, 2 to random internationals. However last year they only gave 4 Brits wildcards, but Keothavong got in directly so it didn't seem so different.

It will be interesting to see if they give Robson a wildcard as a Brit or as the junior champ. By the logic listed above, there could be 6 Brit wildcards, but one of them will be the junior champ. Keothavong will be in the MD and South will be tantalisingly close. Best case scenario from a British point of view, there could be 8 British women in the MD :eek: I doubt it will happen though :sad: I really doubt they will give 6 Brits WC's and am unsure whether South will be able to maintain her ranking for the next two/three months.

Here are my early predictions for Wimbledon WC's (based on current ranking, so obviously subject to change)
Baltacha
O'Brien
Stoop
Cavaday
Robson
Sprem (likely to reach top 100 soon though)
Date (for old times sake :))
Krajicek

I think qualies will be all Brits (like last year)
Elliot
Moore
Watson (not entirely sure yet, depends on her results in upcoming ITF's)
Curtis
Webly Smith
Fitzpatrick
Broady
Smith

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
As for the other grass events I think they will be split between South, Baltacha, O'Brien, Stoop & Cavaday.

South may get into Birmingham MD directly so she won't need one (hopefully). Cavaday always seems to be well there, so I think she will get 1 as well as two of the following three: Baltacha, O'Brien and Stoop.

Eastbourne is a Premier and has changed to a 64 person draw (like Birmingham), so I doubt South will get in directly. She may require a wildcard (which I think she will get) as well as O'Brien and Baltacha. Stoop and Cavaday will have to settle for QWC's.

I don't think Robson will play one of these events due to the AER which limits her wildcards into bigger events, otherwise she would probably have priority over the others!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thats interesting that Eastbourne is 64 player draw this year considering the mens event is down there aswell this year.
I have been to the Eastbourne event many times and there definately going to be pushed for courts.
Anyway it's a good change and hopefully more Brits cando well here as they all seem to play well on grass.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
^^ sorry, my mistake - Eastbourne remains a 32 player draw, I don't know where I heard that it would change to a 64 player draw :confused: :lol: but I just double checked and it is in fact still 32 (no BYES)

This changes afew things - first of all, Anne may not get in directly if it's a particularly strong field, meaning she may require a WC. Hopefully she'll sneak in though. I'm not sure if they offer 2 or 3 wild cards in premier events with a 32 player draw

·
Premium Member
6,332 Posts
i would love to see naomi.b get a birmingham md wildcard i think shes gonna be really good in years to come

·
Premium Member
6,332 Posts
and johanna konta should be representing GB as soon as she turns 18 (may) i think she could get a wimby qualifying wildcard

1 - 13 of 13 Posts