Tennis Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BRATISLAVA, SLOVAKIA (TICKER) -- Rita Grande of Italy is the lone seed still alive in the $110,000 Slovak Indoor, advancing Friday to the semifinals of the hardcourt tournament.

Grande, seeded fourth, rallied for a tough 5-7, 6-4, 7-6 (7-5) victory over Bianka Lamade of Germany.

Grande became the final seed standing when No. 2 Anne Kremer of Luxembourg was dumped by local favorite Ludmila Cervanova, 6-2, 6-2. Grande will face Cervanova in the semifinals.

"I was very relaxed because I had nothing to lose and I am playing at home with all my friends and family cheering for me," said Cervanova, who reached the semifinals for the first time in her career.

The other semifinal will match qualifiers Adriana Serra-Zanetti of Italy against Slovakian Martina Sucha. Serra-Zanetti held on for a 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 victory over Lilia Osterloh of the United States and Sucha beat Kveta Hrdlickova of the Czech Republic, 7-5, 4-6, 6-3.

Depending on Saturday's outcomes, Sunday's final could be either all-Italian or all-Slovak. Grande is 1-1 vs. Cefvanova and Serra-Zanetti and Sucha are meeting for the first time.

It has been a breakthrough season for Grande, who is ranked 38th in the world. She captured her first career title at the ANZ Tasmanian International in Hobart, Australia in January and is trying to reach her second final of the year.

Cervanova also bounced No. 6 Mielen Tu of the United States in the second round.

Sucha stunned No. 5 Denise Chladkova of the Czech Republic, also in the second round. She reached the semifinals for the second time in her career, both in the last month.

Top-seeded Czech Daja Bedanova went out in the first round. On Thursday, No. 3 Francesca Schiavone of Italy, Chladkova and No. 7 Nathalie Dechy of France were bounced.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts