Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
The shot selection (drop shot) at 6-6. :eek:

Must feel bad for Abanda to be still young and from the area and then get such a one sided crowd against her. But I guess that's what happens when there is a big u18 talent.

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Caught the end of the second set and all of the decider and thoroughly enjoyed it. Abanda was looking most likely to break in the decider and came close on a couple of occaions, but Leylah hung in very well. Abanda had *4-2 and a match point at 6-5* in the tie breaker. Oh, and Abanda had fought back well from 3-6 2-4 15-40* down, although I didn't see any of that.

Winnable final against Cabrera - hopefully it's on sometime in the afternoon over there so that I can watch. Nice to see a rising young star do well in her home country.

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
The shot selection (drop shot) at 6-6. :eek:

Must feel bad for Abanda to be still young and from the area and then get such a one sided crowd against her. But I guess that's what happens when there is a big u18 talent.
I know what you mean but it's always going to happen when there's a young talent involved who could actually go far, as it's much more exciting. Abanda was in a hurry to get off the court.

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
#IntenseBeef

Tough one, long match, emotions running strong, Leylah just 16 with a massive win, but it must be annoying for Frankie losing a near 3 hour match against a younger compatriot and then having to wait around at the net when you just want to shake hands and get out of there. Think it sounds like Leylah said 'please' before they eventually shook hands.

·
Registered
23,678 Posts
Franckie...

:sobbing:

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Every year the Sunday final is at noon, followed by the ATP Final. It should be the same this year
Thanks. I did go on the website and saw play started from 12:00, but wasn't sure which would be first, but with that start time, either would be fine here, being 5 hours ahead. A 6/7pm start Quebec time would have been a lot different.

I've minimal interest in either WTA final, Katie Swan lost her Ashland semi final, so this match will definitely be getting most of my attention tomorrow. Hope she wins to secure her place in US Open quals (even though it will simultaneously push Katie further away from getting in...)

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
I checked the TVA Sports schedule for Sunday. It's 1 pm local time for the WTA Finale, followed by the ATP Finale
HORAIRE - Challenger

Cheers, that website said play starts at 12, but it does indeed look like it is 1pm for Leylah, so that's 6pm over here, which is absolutely fine. It might have been regardless, but I bet there will be more attention and interest on Leylah's match now that Polansky has crashed out of the mens's.

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
Abanda so salty, calling out a 16 year on social media. :speakles:

Speak to her privately and address the issue directly. Not a good look.

·
63,816 Posts
Girl, she wasn't even waiting at the net :hysteric: What a salty b...

·
Registered
9,293 Posts
Abanda so salty, calling out a 16 year on social media. :speakles:

Speak to her privately and address the issue directly. Not a good look.
Abanda knows that Fernandez will take her place at FedCup pretty soon, and that could mean less funding from Tennis Canada for her.

Abanda could have waited a few seconds at the net but she walked directly to her chair seeing that Fernandez was in the arms of her father.
Perhaps it was Leylah's dad's fault, celebrating, arms in the air like he invited her for a hug.
But Abanda shouldn't tell an experienced chair umpire that he's not a good umpire when she can't prove that she's right about any bad calls. I thought she was going to tell him he's a racist :eek:h:

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Girl, she wasn't even waiting at the net :hysteric: What a salty b...
she probably was, then after her opponent moved off to the stands, she went to pack her bags I presume.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
she probably was, then after her opponent moved off to the stands, she went to pack her bags I presume.
No, it's clear in the videos posted here. She started walking towards the net rather slowly, saw Fernandez celebrating with her team and then didn't even bother waiting for her and went straight to her chair instead.
I mean, Fernandez was definitely taking her sweet time and then some and I don't blame Abanda for walking away, but she can't say she was waiting for her at the net when she obviously wasn't. :lol:

·
King
28,968 Posts
Abanda's career has been one big flop so far, so getting super pissed at being beaten by a junior who is also her compatriot, who has all of the crowd support is not that surprising, I guess.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
People blaming Abanda :spit:

She posted on social media because there was an edited video posted on Twitter of her being cold with the handshake.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts