Tennis Forum banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

· Registered
1,430 Posts
Cybelle, you talk of Martina "at the height of her ability and strenght" while aged 14 or 15 against a number one player at a time ( and still beating her at age 15 on clay while Graf was to win the French )... :rolleyes: :lol:

Other Hingis loses to Graf are "unexplained" to me...Hingis is simply a better tennis player...

for Graf vs Serena...I'd say Serena...

· Registered
9,222 Posts
tennisjam said:
Cybelle, you talk of Martina "at the height of her ability and strenght" while aged 14 or 15 against a number one player at a time ( and still beating her at age 15 on clay while Graf was to win the French )... :rolleyes: :lol:

Other Hingis loses to Graf are "unexplained" to me...Hingis is simply a better tennis player...

for Graf vs Serena...I'd say Serena...
Allow me to explain the Hingis losses to Graf in the words of Martina Hingis:

"You're always so tough, you know, the one you want to beat at this tournament in the final..."

Steffi's physical speed, combined with her mental strength, was usually too much for Hingis to cope with. Their matches were usually great tennis- but Steffi usually wore Martina Hingis down and beat her.

· Registered
20,844 Posts
alfajeffster said:
Allow me to explain the Hingis losses to Graf in the words of Martina Hingis:

"You're always so tough, you know, the one you want to beat at this tournament in the final..."

Steffi's physical speed, combined with her mental strength, was usually too much for Hingis to cope with. Their matches were usually great tennis- but Steffi usually wore Martina Hingis down and beat her.
I think french 99 said it all, never outside us open 92 I saw a more unmotivated steffi then that day. she said herself she didn't try till 5:4 in the second set and she turned around it with such ease afterwards
it was kind of painful :angel:

· Registered
9,222 Posts
irma said:
I think french 99 said it all, never outside us open 92 I saw a more unmotivated steffi then that day. she said herself she didn't try till 5:4 in the second set and she turned around it with such ease afterwards
I don't think she was unmotivated in the 99 final, she was tired:

Kournikova (when she was good), Davenport, Seles, all 3-setters and then coming out and being pushed all over a clay court by Hingis, who was VERY fresh. It just took her a little while to get her second wind, and when she did- the brat came out in Hingis! :lol:

· Registered
20,844 Posts
alfajeffster said:
I don't think she was unmotivated in the 99 final, she was tired:

Kournikova (when she was good), Davenport, Seles, all 3-setters and then coming out and being pushed all over a clay court by Hingis, who was VERY fresh. It just took her a little while to get her second wind, and when she did- the brat came out in Hingis! :lol:
martina was not that fresh, she was tired in the third set. while steffi (well sort off) was still going strong;)

· Registered
8,951 Posts
irma said:
yeah...I remember reading somewhere where she said..."I have one more sit down I may as well go for it." :worship: :worship: :worship:

There's absolutely nothing tainted about her accomplishments. She proved herself to be a Champion well before Monica came on the scene, through to the last year of her career. :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

· Poetic at Heart
3,556 Posts
bandabou said:
Hey,hey...for all the moaning about Serena´s clay-play..she HAS won RG, not many clay-experts can say that. Conchita?! Nope! sabatini?! Nope, so quit it.

Actually I think of Serena as one of our top clay court players. :p and whoever says no is just ...er an idiot :eek: As for Graf FACE IT she was that good. :cool:

· Registered
20,844 Posts
serena is great on clay, but then I already discussed that for 2 months once ;) but I don't agree justine being a push over for her on clay as some fans say otherwise it had not been 3:1 for justine in the last two years

· Registered
1,430 Posts
Graf was outplayed at French final '99 :rolleyes: and she didn't seem tired at all :rolleyes: but upset by clever Martina's tactical choices...and it was one of the best Steffi's matches of the year... :rolleyes:

Martina didn't play solid enough at the end of the second set to simply close up that match as she should...and it can be said that "conditions" rather favoured Graf :rolleyes:

...and Graf was surely good, but not "that" good :rolleyes:

· Poetic at Heart
3,556 Posts
irma said:
serena is great on clay, but then I already discussed that for 2 months once ;) but I don't agree justine being a push over for her on clay as some fans say otherwise it had not been 3:1 for justine in the last two years

...so true :) It seems like Justine is the class of the field when it comes to clay tennis. :cool:

· Registered
20,844 Posts
tennisjam said:
Graf was outplayed at French final '99 :rolleyes: and she didn't seem tired at all :rolleyes: but upset by clever Martina's tactical choices...and it was one of the best Steffi's matches of the year... :rolleyes:

Martina didn't play solid enough at the end of the second set to simply close up that match as she should...and it can be said that "conditions" rather favoured Graf :rolleyes:

...and Graf was surely good, but not "that" good :rolleyes:
almost as good as steffi-nacuk in berlin ;)

41 - 60 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.