Tennis Forum banner
21 - 40 of 82 Posts

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
alfajeffster said:
Well, the impossible part is the age comparison- because Serena hasn't lived it yet. The comparison of champions has to go with when they played their best- which for Graf would probably be 1995-1996 (25-26 years old), and with Serena- what she's done so far.
Scary thought, that it can even be possible that we haven´t seen Serena´s best yet!

· Registered
6,762 Posts
Serena and Steff were tied. Dead even. an immature serena versus an aged but still grandslam winning graf.

However even martina at the height of her ability and strength was no match for steffi.

Steffi Graf (GER) leads 7:2
Hard: Steffi Graf (GER) leads 2:0
Clay: Tied 1:1
Grass: Steffi Graf (GER) leads 2:0
Indoor: Steffi Graf (GER) leads 3:1

· Registered
6,762 Posts
bandabou said:
Pluuuuzzzz! Serena already beat Graf in her second official try.
so true!

it took martina three tries to conqueor graf and then she lost the next four matches against her.

· Registered
6,762 Posts
irma said:
serena won also a slam so don't come up with that;)
which is even more credit to serena since she was so new on the tour unlike graf who was an experienced verteran.

· Registered
20,844 Posts
oh it's not that I have no credit for serena. I have. it was an amazing thing considering she just played competive tennis for year but I just want to say she was not an immature bad player

she was up there at the top at least on american hardcourt

· Registered
9,222 Posts
bandabou said:
Scary thought, that it can even be possible that we haven´t seen Serena´s best yet!
AND- we haven't see just how many injuries she will go through as a top player. Lots of variables when comparing champions. Serena did receive much more advanced training, aerobic and otherwise, than Graf did during her formative years in the 80s. Serena is a 21st Century champion athlete- Graf is the last champion of the old school. I'm glad Graf has a win over Serena, and was equally glad when she passed the torch at Indian Wells a few years ago with a double-kiss after losing (rare for Graf).

· Registered
20,844 Posts
"who was an experienced verteran."

and who had gone through 5 surgeries, that's why you can't compare it with nav and young steffi since nav had not missed more then a year of competition the year before

· Registered
20,844 Posts
Serena did receive much more advanced training, aerobic and otherwise, than Graf did during her formative years in the 80s.

as I said many times though, that was steffi's own choice. it's a fact, not a myth

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
alfajeffster said:
AND- we haven't see just how many injuries she will go through as a top player. Lots of variables when comparing champions. Serena did receive much more advanced training, aerobic and otherwise, than Graf did during her formative years in the 80s. Serena is a 21st Century champion athlete- Graf is the last champion of the old school. I'm glad Graf has a win over Serena, and was equally glad when she passed the torch at Indian Wells a few years ago with a double-kiss after losing (rare for Graf).
May be true about the injury-thing....but I still think that she can improve despite the injuries.

I´m glad too that Serena has a win against Graf and on the stage that she beat her on. Impressive, defeating one of the greatest players on such a big occation. Pretty cool.

· Registered
9,222 Posts
bandabou said:
May be true about the injury-thing....but I still think that she can improve despite the injuries.

I´m glad too that Serena has a win against Graf and on the stage that she beat her on. Impressive, defeating one of the greatest players on such a big occation. Pretty cool.
I still think if Steffi's knees and back would hold up- she'd take Serena on clay still, at 34 years old!

· Registered
9,222 Posts
irma said:
Serena did receive much more advanced training, aerobic and otherwise, than Graf did during her formative years in the 80s.

as I said many times though, that was steffi's own choice. it's a fact, not a myth
You now, Irma, I always wanted to see Steffi wear a pretty tennis dress like Mary Pierce brought back into fashion. Steffi always had this complex about her shoulders being too big, and it's a shame, seeing what Serena and Angela Bassett have done for shoulders lately! :lol:

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
alfajeffster said:
I still think if Steffi's knees and back would hold up- she'd take Serena on clay still, at 34 years old!
Now you´re pushing it...no 34 years old is gonna beat Serena. Not even on clay...

· Registered
11,079 Posts
bandabou said:
Pluuuuzzzz! Serena already beat Graf in her second official try.
Don't bother with Five Zero's.

Afterall, we all know Five Zero's could beat Graf at her best. I mean, he can beat any of the current top players as well, and he just graduated from high school. You better believe what he says.
:D

· Serena's #1 Hater
20,615 Posts
bandabou said:
If people can start asking about Graf vs Justine, then the other question has to be Graf vs Serena.

One is recovering from knee surgery, the other is due to give birth in mid-October.....from where I sit, it's too close to call. ;)

· Registered
9,222 Posts
darrinbaker00 said:
One is recovering from knee surgery, the other is due to give birth in mid-October.....from where I sit, it's too close to call. ;)
And both are expecting to drop the bomb on the rest of the world by the end of the month! :lol:

· Registered
5,685 Posts
Stefanie Graf (as she now prefers to be called) is one of the geatest tennis players ever.

Serena's career is still too young for her to attract such an accolade.

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
M2k said:
lol nonsense...If Graf were still active and healthy, there would be no limits to what she could do to Serena on clay ---> :devil:
Hey,hey...for all the moaning about Serena´s clay-play..she HAS won RG, not many clay-experts can say that. Conchita?! Nope! sabatini?! Nope, so quit it.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.