Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If people can start asking about Graf vs Justine, then the other question has to be Graf vs Serena.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
22,221 Posts
Serena/Graf: 1/1

F Indian W. Mar 14 1999 S Williams - S Graf(5) 6-3 3-6 7-5
2 Sydney Jan 17 1999 S Graf(6) - S Williams 6-2 3-6 7-5
 

· Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
irma said:
we can also say justine-serena at their best. oh wait that answer was given(sorry I am in a nasty mood)
What´s the answer to both, Irma?! I don´t remember who won the Graf vs Serena battle.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kabuke said:
Serena/Graf: 1/1

F Indian W. Mar 14 1999 S Williams - S Graf(5) 6-3 3-6 7-5
2 Sydney Jan 17 1999 S Graf(6) - S Williams 6-2 3-6 7-5
Pretty close matches....Serena beating Graf in her first tier I final is PRETTY COOL!!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
20,830 Posts
steffi/serena well since both won a match when serena was still developing and steffi was building off I keep it even even when serena has an on serve day it would be tough for steffi unless she has a total on day too

with justine/serena well maybe I am biased but I guess wimbledon said something and that was not even the best serena I ever saw.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
irma said:
steffi/serena well since both won a match when serena was still developing and steffi was building off I keep it even even when serena has an on serve day it would be tough for steffi unless she has a total on day too

with justine/serena well maybe I am biased but I guess wimbledon said something and that was not even the best serena I ever saw.
Yeah, the one against Justine isn´t even a contest! I agree with you on the Graf thesis...if Serena plays like she played against Raymond in ´00 Wimbledon, then I think that Graf will have a VERY difficult, to not say impossible task.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
9,222 Posts
two weeks prior to their first match in Sydney, didn't Graf play a round-robin exhibition match in Hong Kong where she played both Williams sisters and beat one and lost to the other?

C'mon Irma- dig deep- I remember hearing about it! :bounce:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
9,222 Posts
irma said:
steffi beat serena 6:2 7:6 and then retired against venus at 2:2 because she was sick
I knew you could do it! And that was the same year she eventually lost to Monica Seles in that WEIRD Australian Open QF. Good on ya, mate!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
irma said:
steffi beat serena 6:2 7:6 and then retired against venus at 2:2 because she was sick
That´s my girl Serena....she kept improving, losing in two-sets, losing in three-sets, winning in three-sets...see the evolution?!

Interesting that almost all the times after Graf beat either sister, she got ill.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
irma said:
yeah that was the most weird match I ever saw. there was not even a reason to choke? :confused:
hmm....it seems all your favs went through a choking fase.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,100 Posts
Steffi at Serena's age? Steffi who had grown up with the same technology and learnt to play against Serena's age group and Serena? Graf serving at the same speed advantage as she had over players of her generation (silly to expect 100 mph serves given what Justine and Kim now hit) Graf with the advantage and experience of being a child prodigy with many more years of competition behind her than isolated Serena?
Who knows?
 

· Banned
Joined
·
191 Posts
Graf would kill her. Serena can't handle the slice.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
9,222 Posts
fammmmedspin said:
Steffi at Serena's age? Steffi who had grown up with the same technology and learnt to play against Serena's age group and Serena? Graf serving at the same speed advantage as she had over players of her generation (silly to expect 100 mph serves given what Justine and Kim now hit) Graf with the advantage and experience of being a child prodigy with many more years of competition behind her than isolated Serena?
Who knows?
Well, the impossible part is the age comparison- because Serena hasn't lived it yet. The comparison of champions has to go with when they played their best- which for Graf would probably be 1995-1996 (25-26 years old), and with Serena- what she's done so far.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Zvonerevian said:
Graf would kill her. Serena can't handle the slice.
Pluuuuzzzz! Serena already beat Graf in her second official try.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
irma said:
yeah but I am not allowed to say that steffi once choked 6 setpoints in two grand slam finals in a row away, that makes me a bad fan;)
Really?! Facts are facts!
 
1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top