Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now here's an interesting rivarlry- pretty much orchestrated to stay 9-9 head to head by Navratilova, who avoided playing Steffi at all cost the last 3 years of her career. She avoided Graf's schedule, skipped the Australian Open (but curiously showed up at the Pan Pacific the following week), and generally did everything she could to keep from playing Steffi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,635 Posts
I don't think nav skipped tournaments because of steffi

I mean monica fans say the same about steffi and it's ridiculous. steffi played the same schedule as always but hilton head (no monica either)
then they say she skipped summertournaments because of monica while she only skipped tournaments where monica was not anyway and once monica entered a replacement for steffi (canada 92)

so I think such things are crap
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,635 Posts
that said steffi might have skipped amelia islamd after 92 :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, let's see: how many clay court tournaments did Navratilova play 91-94? How many Australian Opens in that same period? How many West Coast hardcourt tune-ups to the U.S. Open during that same period? These are, in fact, interesting statistics, and they do prove my point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,635 Posts
nav got old. it's normal she reduced her schedule.

nav didn't play hardcourt tournaments in 91. I don't know why (think she was in court) but steffi did neither because of her shoulder. at fed cup she could not even slice anymore
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,635 Posts
I am talking about summer tournaments
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
irma said:
nav got old. it's normal she reduced her schedule.

nav didn't play hardcourt tournaments in 91. I don't know why (think she was in court) but steffi did neither because of her shoulder. at fed cup she could not even slice anymore
One of the best matches of the year in 1991 was the semi Graf vs. Navratilova, which Martina won fair and square. It was a well played match by both players, I must admit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,635 Posts
in 92 steffi played olympics and then pulled out of canada and monica played instead but if monica had refused then steffi would have been forced to play or something like that

weird story :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,635 Posts
alfajeffster said:
One of the best matches of the year in 1991 was the semi Graf vs. Navratilova, which Martina won fair and square. It was a well played match by both players, I must admit.
I have my own opinion;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,635 Posts
to be fair I can't remember it so well anymore though. only where I watched it. not the level or so;)

nav was steffi's bitch at the us open
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,943 Posts
1985-08-26 U.S. Open Hardcourt SF Martina Navratilova (USA) 6-2 6-3
1985-09-30 Fort Lauderdale Hardcourt F Martina Navratilova (USA) 6-3 6-1
1986-03-17 Virginia Slims Championships Indoor Carpet SF Martina Navratilova (USA) 6-2 6-2
1986-05-12 Berlin Clay F Steffi Graf (GER) 6-2 6-3
1986-08-25 U.S. Open Hardcourt SF Martina Navratilova (USA) 6-1 6-7 7-6
1986-11-17 Virginia Slims Championships Indoor Carpet F Martina Navratilova (USA) 7-6 6-3 6-2
1987-02-23 Key Biscayne Hardcourt SF Steffi Graf (GER) 6-3 6-2
1987-05-25 Roland Garros Clay F Steffi Graf (GER) 6-4 4-6 8-6
1987-06-22 Wimbledon Grass F Martina Navratilova (USA) 7-5 6-3
1987-08-31 U.S. Open Hardcourt F Martina Navratilova (USA) 7-6 6-1
1988-06-22 Wimbledon Grass F Steffi Graf (GER) 5-7 6-2 6-1
1989-06-26 Wimbledon Grass F Steffi Graf (GER) 6-2 6-7 6-1
1989-08-28 U.S. Open Hardcourt F Steffi Graf (GER) 3-6 7-5 6-1
1989-11-13 Virginia Slims Championships Indoor Carpet F Steffi Graf (GER) 6-4 7-5 2-6 6-2
1991-08-26 U.S. Open Hardcourt SF Martina Navratilova (USA) 7-6 6-7 6-4
1992-10-05 Zurich Indoor Carpet F Steffi Graf (GER) 2-6 7-5 7-5
1993-02-01 Tokyo Indoor Carpet SF Martina Navratilova (USA) 4-6 6-3 6-3
1994-01-31 Tokyo Indoor Carpet F Steffi Graf (GER) 6-2 6-4
Tied 9:9
Hard: Martina Navratilova (USA) leads 5:2
Clay: Steffi Graf (GER) leads 2:0
Grass: Steffi Graf (GER) leads 2:1
Indoor: Tied 3:3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,096 Posts
alfajeffster said:
Well, let's see: how many clay court tournaments did Navratilova play 91-94?
Martina barely played on clay in the 90's, she would even miss the French because she knew in the early 90s she still had a good chance at Wimbledon and would save herself for the grass. I don't think it was to avoid Steffi Graf. Everyone who played with a Yonex racquet HAD to play the Pan Pacific, I think it was in the contract, so that might explain why Martina would avoid Australia but play Japan the week after. It looks like it was a good rivalry, I think if Martina consistently attacked Steffi's backhand she would always have a chance which is probably why Martina still pushed Steffi into 3 sets even when she was 36, 37.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,635 Posts
monica never played the pan pacific in the early ninties she pulled out at the last minute in 91
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,635 Posts
I say that because monica was with yonex too if I remember well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DA FOREHAND said:
1988-06-22 Wimbledon Grass F Steffi Graf (GER) 5-7 6-2 6-1
1989-06-26 Wimbledon Grass F Steffi Graf (GER) 6-2 6-7 6-1
1989-08-28 U.S. Open Hardcourt F Steffi Graf (GER) 3-6 7-5 6-1
1989-11-13 Virginia Slims Championships Indoor Carpet F Steffi Graf (GER) 6-4 7-5 2-6 6-2
1991-08-26 U.S. Open Hardcourt SF Martina Navratilova (USA) 7-6 6-7 6-4
1992-10-05 Zurich Indoor Carpet F Steffi Graf (GER) 2-6 7-5 7-5
1993-02-01 Tokyo Indoor Carpet SF Martina Navratilova (USA) 4-6 6-3 6-3
1994-01-31 Tokyo Indoor Carpet F Steffi Graf (GER) 6-2 6-4
My point exactly. 6 of the last 8 matches is pretty convincing evidence.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
355 Posts
alfajeffster
Now please don't make a Steffi-Martina H thread after this one! We've had sooo many arguments.. won't prove anything!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,635 Posts
nav fans always come with that 2:2 but they never say nav beat monica at their last match too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bilal said:
alfajeffster
Now please don't make a Steffi-Martina H thread after this one! We've had sooo many arguments.. won't prove anything!
I promise not to- WAY too much evidence on the record books there. It would be like a Steffi-Sanchez Vicario or Steffi-Sabatini thread, kinda useless. Actually, I'd much rather talk about the classic players like Court, King, Goolagong, Wade, Bueno, but very few people here seem to care about those players any more.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
355 Posts
I don't think Steffi and Martina ever had a match where they were both playing their best ( neither did Steffi and Monica IMHO).
 
1 - 20 of 87 Posts
Top