Tennis Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it looks like with Kim faltering, Serena OOC, and Venus in abdominal limbo, we'll just have to break out our favorite Graf videos to remember what DOMINANCE looks like!

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
88 A.O. Final
95 US Open Final
95 Wimby Final
96 Wimby Final
95 French
96 French
88 wimby
96 chase
93Wimby
93 A.O.
92 Wimby
89US Open
87 French

·
Registered
20,829 Posts
wim 88. but my tape of that match is fake as is amy's(fellow steffi fan, asked her to watch it too) since there was no raindelay that changed the match at all in the second set :eek:

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JustinSteffi said:
1988 Wimby Final is my personal fave.

I wish she had used her topspin backhand more in the latter part of her career because she was passing Martina left and right with it back in the day!

JJH
Yeah, and according to Mary Joe and Chris, she used it all the time in practice and it was a great shot. However, when you think about it, that wicked knifed slice with pace crosscourt worked better against the two-handed baseliners who would have preyed on a topspin backhand that wasn't hit deep with pace. I guess after Martina's decline, Novotna was the only one who she needed it for, and look at her record against Novotna!

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
irma said:
wim 88. but my tape of that match is fake as is amy's(fellow steffi fan, asked her to watch it too) since there was no raindelay that changed the match at all in the second set :eek:
Really? Oh, you know, what, I'm thinking the 1987 Final that Navratilova won. Why, is there supposedly a rain delay in the 1988 final?

·
Registered
20,829 Posts
yeah at 2:0 in the second set and then nav who's whole leg was taped could not move anymore lost
but my tapes shows no tape, neither a raindelay in that set. only at 3:1 in the third set

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
irma said:
but amy also said that story about that injury started a year later wich says enough :eek:
I never heard anything about a rain delay in that match, though... :confused:

Do you remember hearing that after the Graf/Novotna 94 final, Graf sent a messenger out to Navratilova's flat in London to challenge her to a private grass-court match- you know, kinda because that's who she wanted to play in the final?

·
Registered
20,829 Posts
yeah that was that match. it looked awful but I think it was at the start of the second set wich steffi won so it didn't influenced the score really/

yeah that was after wimbledon semis in 93 but nav prefered golf but steffi broke down after the final so she could not have played it anyway!

·
Registered
20,829 Posts
alfajeffster said:
I never heard anything about a rain delay in that match, though... :confused:

Do you remember hearing that after the Graf/Novotna 94 final, Graf sent a messenger out to Navratilova's flat in London to challenge her to a private grass-court match- you know, kinda because that's who she wanted to play in the final?
there was a raindelay at 3:1 in the third set

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.